Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla Skid Plate - Brief Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
The skid plates overall I think are a good upgrade to protect the motors and other electronics. The plastic aero shields provide very little protection in comparison.

They are expensive at $625 for the set plus shipping. I was able to get them on sale for $469 + $100 shipping + state sales tax

The front skid plate was good but the rear skid plate had a differnt type of backing material than the front. The rear also had the backing misaligned and the backing was bubbling and lifting. I contacted them and sent pictures and waiting to hear back. I was disappointed with the quality of the rear skid plate I received due to the problems with the backing matierial. I will update the post when/if RPM Tesla responds.

I wound up cutting the backing and poking holes to fix the bubbling and alignment issues. I installed both today and my initial test drive was good. The plastic aero shields were very noisy for me. The skid plates do have some flexibility also to get a good fit.

Lastly the front has several small round holes to allow water to drain off. The factory aero shield ..expecially in the front seems to trap a lot of dirt and water.

Product Link:

Pics of what I received:
PXL_20221229_213752433.jpg

PXL_20221229_213737764.jpg

PXL_20221229_213507839.jpg

PXL_20221229_213450305.jpg

Reactions: Jkwan and bpon89
Okay everyone so road trip was four days and around 1000 miles. I didn't noticed a significant reduction in road noise. It was reduced slightly but not enough to warrant purchase on that basis only.

I would say the front skid plate has holes so water will not collect and stay there. Biggest reason for this upgrade is protection. Without the foam I would think there would be more noise because it's metal instead of plastic so the foam at least prevents this and probably provides a minimal reduction in road noise.

No weight savings. May be a couple lbs heavier. Seems like a very slight noise reduction but many may not notice it.

I'm actually now hearing a creaking sound from the back at low speeds both when accelerating and coming to a stop. Sounds like the rear plate may be flexing. I'm going to contact their tech support to see what they advise.

No weight savings. May be a couple lbs heavier. Seems like a very slight noise reduction but many may not notice it.

I'm actually now hearing a creaking sound from the back at low speeds both when accelerating and coming to a stop. Sounds like the rear plate may be flexing. I'm going to contact their tech support to see what they advise.
Update everyone:. No tech support contact needed. All the bolts were loose! Was chatting with my neighbor the whole time I was installing. I thought I ran them on snug but forgot to give the bolts on the rear plate a final tighten.

Took care of it yesterday and the car is perfect now. I'm still concerned about the backing not being attached very well but all seems good at this point I purchased on sale and am happy overall with the purchase.