Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla Updated Carbon Fiber Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the rpm spoiler come with adhesion promoter or something I need to purchase myself?

Also, my car has ceramic coating on it. Wondering if I need to have that portion removed before attaching the spoiler. Any recommendations on how to easily remove ceramic coating or can I just leave it on?

I received the rpm spoiler and happy to say that it was a successful install (so far). To my surprise, it came with two pieces of tape on the spoiler, which seems to be updated based on feedback they have been getting. I didn't see any raised edges for the most part except just a tiny bit from the very right corner. It's not a biggie for me as it's not noticeable.
My biggest concern was attaching it to my ceramic coated car, but so far it's been holding up. Well see how sturdy it is months from now. The one downside seems to be some streaking in the glossifier used on the spoiler since I have the gloss version. It's not super noticeable, but seems to be overlooked in the manufacturing process.

20220625_155510.jpg

20220625_160054.jpg
20220625_160130.jpg

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I received the rpm spoiler and happy to say that it was a successful install (so far). To my surprise, it came with two pieces of tape on the spoiler, which seems to be updated based on feedback they have been getting. I didn't see any raised edges for the most part except just a tiny bit from the very right corner. It's not a biggie for me as it's not noticeable.
My biggest concern was attaching it to my ceramic coated car, but so far it's been holding up. Well see how sturdy it is months from now. The one downside seems to be some streaking in the glossifier used on the spoiler since I have the gloss version. It's not super noticeable, but seems to be overlooked in the manufacturing process.

View attachment 821120
View attachment 821121View attachment 821122
The tape looks way better! Much more similar to the OEM plaid spoiler tape than what was originally included from RPM.

View attachment 821120
Hmmmm 😠Mine came with only one strip of tape. Ohh well, Lets see how well it will hold.

Reactions: Jayy178
Hmmmm 😠Mine came with only one strip of tape. Ohh well, Lets see how well it will hold.
Mine came with one strip as well, here are the results. Looks pretty good I think.

Attachments

• E965A02B-0733-4A30-AC63-A3C7910C8A23.jpeg
    E965A02B-0733-4A30-AC63-A3C7910C8A23.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 209
  • F28FD4C5-4025-413B-A98C-ECFFEEE357E7.jpeg
    F28FD4C5-4025-413B-A98C-ECFFEEE357E7.jpeg
    878.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 5BF1C7E0-3CDD-4DF0-9F68-BF3EDD6017E5.jpeg
    5BF1C7E0-3CDD-4DF0-9F68-BF3EDD6017E5.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 197
  • BDBD35A0-7695-425A-BBDF-D736620D4E88.jpeg
    BDBD35A0-7695-425A-BBDF-D736620D4E88.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 202
  • CC9D42BE-B79F-43E3-997E-31FD47C896BC.jpeg
    CC9D42BE-B79F-43E3-997E-31FD47C896BC.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 472C8837-3178-4E36-803A-B6BF6DC322D5.jpeg
    472C8837-3178-4E36-803A-B6BF6DC322D5.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DD04ADB8-AF9A-4329-8C4D-9EA3C5373577.jpeg
    DD04ADB8-AF9A-4329-8C4D-9EA3C5373577.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 196
  • C135C64E-AD9B-47F1-AE12-8B5107B4EEBF.jpeg
    C135C64E-AD9B-47F1-AE12-8B5107B4EEBF.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 248
RPM installed mine yesterday in matter carbon fiber on a white car. Thought I would add a few pics as well. Overall happy with the OEM style that it adds on a white car:

Attachments

• 3C7ED2BC-34C8-4958-BDB6-9DBE5934A090.jpeg
    3C7ED2BC-34C8-4958-BDB6-9DBE5934A090.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 250
  • 8C7F0A98-DBC2-43C9-B8DA-71E6C551E560.jpeg
    8C7F0A98-DBC2-43C9-B8DA-71E6C551E560.jpeg
    774.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 4B0D0163-80C9-4CD4-82AE-90F13A45BFA0.jpeg
    4B0D0163-80C9-4CD4-82AE-90F13A45BFA0.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 319A2AF1-CA6B-4F27-A0DE-D54110176B81.jpeg
    319A2AF1-CA6B-4F27-A0DE-D54110176B81.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 243
I ordered mine from RPM Tesla as well, requested the pickup option while ordering to save on shipping (live in Phx), and when I was in town last week they did the installation for me. Looks identical to the OEM spoiler.
The guys at RPM are awesome and they did the installation fairly quickly. One thing to note, if you have ceramic coating on your car, let them know so they can remove the coating where the spoiler will be installed.

• Helpful
Reactions: nilesborg
How did they remove the ceramic coating?

View attachment 821120

View attachment 821120
Any updates on how the spoiler is doing after installing over ceramic coating?

Here's my feedback...... Had I read this thread before ordering it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. That said, I'm glad I did. Mine fits perfectly. Zero gaps. The CF layering could maybe be better, but you would had to have seen a lot of CF to know it. Mine came with one strip of "3m VHB" that I frankly sort of doubt is legit VHB. That said, I didn't remove it or add any additional adhesive, as their youtube video states they designed it to fit flush with the single layer of tape. Mine had a couple of bubbles that had to be pressed out/popped, and additional tape on the ends, basically take some time to clean up the tape they applied and make sure it's as flat as possible and trimmed at the edges so none of the tape shows once the spoiler is installed

Step 1 - Wash the car well. You don't want any dust/debris/etc

Step 2 - Align the spoiler so you know where to prep the surface and how to get it centered. I used a single piece of 3m green "rough surface" painters tape in the middle of the spoiler to temp hold it in place, it made it easy to adjust left/right to get it perfect. Then use a piece of tape on the left/right sides of the trunk as a template so you know exactly where to place it. I like the 3m rough surface tape, the blue tape won't stick to ceramic coatings at all.

Step 3 - Use adhesive promoter to prep the surface. Read my longer notes at the bottom about this. If you have ceramic coating, the RPM adhesive promoter is useless.

Step 4 - I cut a tiny slit in the middle of the vhb tape - in the middle of the spoiler. Only cut deep enough to slit the protective paper on the tape, not the tape itself.

Step 5 - I used a single piece of painters tape in the middle, pulled back the two ends of the protective tape so they're both hanging down.. Pressed hard to seat the center exposed vhb, then worked my way out pulling the tape out while I pushed pretty hard on the spoiler to make sure it's seated.

Step 6 - Tape doesn't stick to ceramic coatings. I'll attach a pic of how I did it to make sure the tape would hold - ran it up to the rear window, and used horizontal piece of tape to help hold everything together. It might look excessive, but I can't stress enough how poorly tape sticks to ceramic.

The RPM adhesive promoter is absolute garbage and VERY frustrating to see in a product at this price. Neither it or rubbing alcohol would even touch my ceramic coating. I bought 3M 06396 from my local napa, they had it in stock, and it removed the ceramic coating without a problem. I've used this stuff before so I knew to watch for this, but be aware that it is very drippy, and will dissolve your ceramic coating anywhere it touches. The packet has a sponge inside, squeeze it out before wiping it on the mating surface, and ONLY wipe the mating surface where the adhesive will stick. Have a clean rag ready to catch drips as it will bleed drips out into the ceramic coating. Buy 3-4 of the packets just to be safe, I was able to get the coating off with 3 packets.

Attachments

• IMG_0312 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0312 - Copy.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Had I read this thread before ordering it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. That said, I'm glad I did. Mine fits perfectly. Zero gaps. The CF layering could maybe be better, but you would had to have seen a lot of CF to know it.

I did read this thread, and I am very aware of RPM Telsa's spotty reputation, and I watched a DIY video of an RPM Tesla spoiler install which had very uneven carbon fiber weave on the right side, so I decided not to buy their spoiler. The guy in the video even said if he had to do it again, he wouldn't buy their spoiler and hold out for an OEM one.

Well, I bought an OEM spoiler used, and the fit and weave are absolutely perfect. It wasn't hard to remove the factory tape and apply real 3M body molding tape for a good stick. Fortunately, my car is not coated.

But I will say, it's not all perfect. The OEM spoiler looks to be a plastic spoiler with a thin carbon fiber overlay, and on the left side of my spoiler, in the right light and at the right angle, you can see some unevenness in the plastic's shape. It's fine on the right side. The attached picture shows the uneven reflection.

I wonder if any Plaid owners have noticed this unevenness? Maybe the one I bought the car sat in the hot sun too much before I got it. I don't see anyone else noticing it so I am not going to bother to change it. It's very hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for.

Attachments

• 2023-02-05 14.51.39.jpg
    2023-02-05 14.51.39.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 117
I did read this thread, and I am very aware of RPM Telsa's spotty reputation, and I watched a DIY video of an RPM Tesla spoiler install which had very uneven carbon fiber weave on the right side, so I decided not to buy their spoiler. The guy in the video even said if he had to do it again, he wouldn't buy their spoiler and hold out for an OEM one.

Well, I bought an OEM spoiler used, and the fit and weave are absolutely perfect. It wasn't hard to remove the factory tape and apply real 3M body molding tape for a good stick. Fortunately, my car is not coated.

But I will say, it's not all perfect. The OEM spoiler looks to be a plastic spoiler with a thin carbon fiber overlay, and on the left side of my spoiler, in the right light and at the right angle, you can see some unevenness in the plastic's shape. It's fine on the right side. The attached picture shows the uneven reflection.

I wonder if any Plaid owners have noticed this unevenness? Maybe the one I bought the car sat in the hot sun too much before I got it. I don't see anyone else noticing it so I am not going to bother to change it. It's very hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for.

Honestly, no OEM carbon that I've ever seen up close is that great. Ferrari, Ducati, none of it is "perfect". The only way to get really good CF is to go to an aftermarket company that specializes in it.... And you will certainly need to open your wallet wide.

I think a lot of the problems with OEM CF comes from the fact that originally it wasn't really an aesthetic material. It originated to save weight, and was laminated in speed shops over thin fiberglass. I remember seeing race cars from the mid late 80's and you'd be shocked at how "bad" the CF looked.

Anyhow, rant over, I'm less concerned about the layering being perfect and more concerned with the fitment with no gaps. My spoiler from RPM, I have no complaints other than the adhesive promoter. It is definitely very thin though, while it will definitely hold up to mph I don't know that it could be squeezed or crushed very hard. Par for the course, and price.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Since only the extremely expensive ones are perfect, I wonder if these super cheap eBay versions shipped from China for only $169 are any good.

Anyone try one of these?

They only come in gloss, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if RPM Tesla gets their spoilers from these people and just sprays a matte clear over them to make the matte version, lol. But seriously...

Since only the extremely expensive ones are perfect, I wonder if these super cheap eBay versions shipped from China for only $169 are any good.

Anyone try one of these?

They only come in gloss, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if RPM Tesla gets their spoilers from these people and just sprays a matte clear over them to make the matte version, lol. But seriously...

Odds are great that RPM sources all their products from China, and are the same quality and fitment as the cheaper ones found elsewhere.

Their website states this "Our spoilers are not made from imported pre-preg carbon fiber sheets commonly used in wet molding."

However, even if made in china, if you get a really bad spoiler odds are that RPM will make it right. Whereas ebay/etc, you're not going to get any help whatsoever. Also RPM would order in bulk, thus be able to demand a higher standard vs onesie twosies sold on ebay.

Their website states this "Our spoilers are not made from imported pre-preg carbon fiber sheets commonly used in wet molding."

However, even if made in china, if you get a really bad spoiler odds are that RPM will make it right. Whereas ebay/etc, you're not going to get any help whatsoever. Also RPM would order in bulk, thus be able to demand a higher standard vs onesie twosies sold on ebay.

Do you work for RPM Tesla?? LOL!

The eBay listing points out that they use dry carbon, which means it's not pre-preg carbon fiber. So RPM Tesla's statement would be 100% true even if they are reselling these super cheap spoilers.

And that's nuts to suggest RPM Tesla has better customer service than eBay. There's so many stories on this forum of RPM Tesla providing horrible customer service on poor quality merchandise.

On eBay, as a buyer, if you make any claim whatsoever that the product you received doesn't match what was sold, you are 99.99999% guaranteed to get your money back from the seller because eBay uses bots to handle all customer service and those bots are programmed to side with the buyer. Just do a search on the eBay seller forums to hear all their sob stories where the buyers made ridiculous claims to get their money back and there was nothing the sellers could do about it.

When it comes to buyer protection, there is literally no better place to buy then eBay. The worst is RPM Tesla!

Reactions: paulchou
Do you work for RPM Tesla?? LOL!

The eBay listing points out that they use dry carbon, which means it's not pre-preg carbon fiber. So RPM Tesla's statement would be 100% true even if they are reselling these super cheap spoilers.

And that's nuts to suggest RPM Tesla has better customer service than eBay. There's so many stories on this forum of RPM Tesla providing horrible customer service on poor quality merchandise.

On eBay, as a buyer, if you make any claim whatsoever that the product you received doesn't match what was sold, you are 99.99999% guaranteed to get your money back from the seller because eBay uses bots to handle all customer service and those bots are programmed to side with the buyer. Just do a search on the eBay seller forums to hear all their sob stories where the buyers made ridiculous claims to get their money back and there was nothing the sellers could do about it.

When it comes to buyer protection, there is literally no better place to buy then eBay. The worst is RPM Tesla!

Ah yeah, zero affiliation with RPM. I'm just saying in general, even if it's available on ebay/alibaba, generally speaking you get better support if buying and paying extra from a local reseller. I didn't know RPM had such a bad reputation. If I had, I would not have given them my business.