Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla Updated Carbon Fiber Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my matte spoiler yesterday and installed same day. I taped it to the car after install and let it sit for 24 hours.

I can compare this to an OEM one as I have had a brand new never installed spoiler that I installed it myself.

The RPM one is MUCH lighter. It feels hollow while the OEM one is not.
My RPM one came with a minor blemish on the inside that I decided to file down a little before install. It was a small bubble.
The center fits tight to the trunk lid while the edges are not quite there. As if the curve is not tight enough but its very close.
The right side edge, I could not for the life of me get to sit closer to the trunk lid than it does. There is a noticeable gap that will not push closer to the body no matter how hard I try.
Installation was straight forward. The OEM one has two datum pins that you pre install to help line things up while the RPM one is just stick and go. The OEM one is very easy to install and installed perfectly my first try. The RPM one was a bit finicky as you have to line up not only the top but the bottom as well since it sits on the lip of the trunk. The pre refresh spoilers just attached to the top so you just had to press down.
I dont know if its my fault on the install or if its the curvature not being perfect with the trunk but the area between the center and the edge is up above the trunk a slight bit. I can push it down tight by hand but it springs right back up. It looks like its sorta floating between the center and the very far edge that didnt sit flush.

I hope all that made sense. Im terrible at explaining things. Hopefully the pictures help show what I was trying explain.

View attachment 804904View attachment 804905View attachment 804906View attachment 804907View attachment 804908View attachment 804909View attachment 804910View attachment 804911View attachment 804912

Got mine today. I did have similar gap issues as @silentsnow31802 couldn't get the spoiler to sit flush on the corners, just in the middle...mmm....don't know, what the heck is already on, but def needs to be improved. I wish I would have spent less for this instead of almost $500 for this kind of fitment.

IMG_6579 copy.jpg

IMG_6577 copy.jpg

IMG_6581.JPG

Reactions: drunkenbuda
You can use dawn to remove ceramic coating, and applying 3M adhesive promoter helps as well. I bought a cheap spoiler off ebay ($137), and another $15 or so for the adhesive promoter, 3M double sided tape, and silicon adhesive sealant (to seal the top side b/w the trunk and the spoiler so water/debris may never get in there). It's very sturdy, and the V-style spoiler extends edge-to-edge and looks far better than I initially thought it would.

p.s. I drove a P90D loaner a few weeks ago, the spoiler is about to fall off as the factory install quality wasn't great. I don't think I will have that issue.

View attachment 801641
can you send me the link for this spoiler

Has anyone tried this? Brother in law is getting one, he has a 2019 MS.
I had an OEM plaid spoiler on my 2016 S. The trunk shape is the same. It will work on your brother in laws 2019.

Also to reply to collegekid714 above I had a OEM plaid one and the fitment was perfect. The RPM one while is a replica it is not 100% exactly the same or your right it would fit perfectly.

I had an OEM plaid spoiler on my 2016 S. The trunk shape is the same. It will work on your brother in laws 2019.

Also to reply to collegekid714 above I had a OEM plaid one and the fitment was perfect. The RPM one while is a replica it is not 100% exactly the same or your right it would fit perfectly.
Great! That's good to hear since he ordered it already yesterday. :) I have the OEM plaid spoiler and that was very easy to install. Hopefully the RPM one won't be too hard.

Great! That's good to hear since he ordered it already yesterday. :) I have the OEM plaid spoiler and that was very easy to install. Hopefully the RPM one won't be too hard.
Brother in law got the spoiler today and test fit was perfect on his 2019 MS. The one thing that was concerning was the double sided tape coverage was very minimal, just a very thin strip. Did any of you use just that or did you supplement with 3M double sided tape?

I am sad to report that my adhesive has failed. I checked the spoiler today and the left side was not adhered to the car anymore. The entire left half was not sticking and I was easily able to bend the spoiler down and create a lip across the entire thing.

I removed the spoiler with very little effort to inspect. The adhesive was still clean so it does not look like it was caused by dirt/debris getting into the adhesive.

I did a test fit with the adhesive removed from the spoiler and the gaps that I had after install are still present, especially the right corner not sitting flush.

Overall not too happy with the product. I will however continue to use it since I have already paid for it. Luckily I have a roll of 3M tape to stick it back on with.

Attachments

• 20220612_153251.jpg
    20220612_153251.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220612_153311.jpg
    20220612_153311.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220612_153409.jpg
    20220612_153409.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220612_153422.jpg
    20220612_153422.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I tried the red 3M tapes from a couple amazon sellers but returned it because it did not look authentic. So I used Scotch (made by 3M) Extreme Outdoor 30 lb Mounting Tape, bought at home depot for like $10. I used a single long strip for the entire spoiler. It's only been 2 months but it's still firmly attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7966.jpg
    IMG_7966.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: Natalie 1
I do not think it came with 3M VHB. The original tape had no 3M markings and the adhesive was clear. Ive never seen VHB tape that was clear personally.

The car has no coatings on it. I also cleaned the area VERY well then went over it with some rubbing alcohol right before installing the spoiler.

Not all trunks and spoilers are made exactly the same, this is a known thing with even the OEM spoiler failing at the edges. I have the OEM spoiler not adhering properly on my passenger side. I removed the Tesla OEM tape and used the following;

3M 06384 Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape
3M 6396 Adhesion Promoter Attachment Tape Liquid Primer

The way the spoiler is designed there's not really a flat edge that it can sit on so proper prep is key, wiping it down with alcohol is not enough. Some folks even used silicone adhesive to make sure. Tesla provides tape that you're supposed to stick on the edges for 24hrs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.23.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.23.13 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 176
Reactions: drunkenbuda