Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla Wind Noise Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on my car 7/17/18. Installed the noise reduction kit ~7/25. The installation was easy - just follow the video instructions.
There is definitely a noticeable reduction of wind noise above 55 - 60 MPH.

I just looked at the installation this morning while I was washing the car. The rubber is starting to pull under the glass in a couple of corners. I'm going to watch it to make sure it doesn't go too far and, possibly, undermine the glass.

If you want to check on how much quieter it will make your Model 3, you can simply tape over all the molding area with some blue painters tape and drive it quickly to see if there is a reduction in wind noise. Easy to remove and you will be able to tell if filling the molding area with soft rubber will do the trick.

Good point. Or maybe use some black electrical tape and call it a day ?!?

I’ve never had a problem with wind noise on my July 2019 built vehicle. However, I bought and still have one of these installed on my vehicle since November of 2019. Why? Because it does a great job of keeping dirt and other small debris out of all those channels between the roof glass. That was my reason for buying it (from Amazon for around $12-14 if I remember correctly). Personally, I’ve never believed something like this would have any positive effect on wind noise. However, I suppose if the gaps/tolerances between the roof glass sections on your particular vehicle are really that bad/off, then that could create some wind noise which may be heard by certain folks. For these situations, I suppose a rubber tube like this might help with wind noise.

Easy fix for wind noise identified: just upgrade to a 2021.
Not true :). I have a 2021, and it's super noisy, starting above 50 mph. And it's the side windows, at the top. Very crappy way to seal them. Even my 2019 Mustang Bullitt (also with frameless doors) had way less wind noise from the door windows than the M3. Nothing seems off, so it's just the design. The road noise is also very intrusive, especially with the crappy asphalt prevalent here in the desert southwest. Between the wind noise in your ears, and the road noise, traveling on this car wasn't pleasant at all. And adding to that was the lack of seat ventilation, so I had to buy a proper ICE travel car, and relegate the M3 to just city duty, which we believe it's what it is. I drove other M3s and were as noisy as my M3, so no surprises there, other than 2021 were supposed to be quieter, but they're not. The issue is window sealing, not the windows themselves, so the double-pane made zero difference.

As far as that roof 'gasket', it made zero difference (as expected), but the car definitely looks better, without that unsightly gap. Wish there was another for the rear window, but haven't seen one. And not sure it'd be able to fit 2 of them between the 2 glasses.

Reactions: Jejunjm