TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RPM Tesla Wind Noise Reduction Kit

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by zero610, Aug 30, 2018.

1. zero610

zero610 Member

Has anyone tried this yet on later built model 3s (June - present)? Some previous posts seem to suggest this kit will only help early builds with severe wind noise issues. Wanted to get some opinions...

Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit

Thanks.

2. seyclone

seyclone Member

Took delivery on my car 7/17/18. Installed the noise reduction kit ~7/25. The installation was easy - just follow the video instructions.
    There is definitely a noticeable reduction of wind noise above 55 - 60 MPH.

I just looked at the installation this morning while I was washing the car. The rubber is starting to pull under the glass in a couple of corners. I'm going to watch it to make sure it doesn't go too far and, possibly, undermine the glass.

3. zero610

zero610 Member

Any pictures of the rubber pulling under the glass? Could that really damage anything under there? Doesn't seem to be any force on the glass...

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If you want to check on how much quieter it will make your Model 3, you can simply tape over all the molding area with some blue painters tape and drive it quickly to see if there is a reduction in wind noise. Easy to remove and you will be able to tell if filling the molding area with soft rubber will do the trick.

• Informative x 2
  5. Vegan Pleather

Good point. Or maybe use some black electrical tape and call it a day ?!?

• Funny x 2
  6. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

If you whisper the title....it sounds like "Gullible".

• Like x 1
  7. zero610

zero610 Member

Yeah - I did the painters tape test at low and high speeds...no difference in wind noise. Idea is better than reality.

• Informative x 1
  8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not the point. Due to production variations, some Model 3's have more wind noise than other. Some owners are more sensitive to wind noise than others.

If you are bothered by the wind noise, try the tape test. If that makes it better, then the kit might be a purchase to consider.

• Like x 2