Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM vs. Speed ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how to do the math for this, but if you calculate the tire outer diameter and the 9.73:1 gear ratio, you can figure-out the motor RPM at any given speed. If I recall, the cars with 155mph top speed have a motor RPM of around 18,000.

Yes, is relevant.
Because the torque curve in a Model 3 (or any other ev car) is managed and corrected by software.
So, if I know for example that the LR AWD Torque curve is starting to fall (it's the software doing it..) at 5000Rpm and I know that 5000rpm is example 40 mph (or 50 or 70 or 25...) I know that past this speed the response to the pedal is slightly less than when at lower speed.
In a Model 3 the torque curve is maintained constant up to about 5000 rpm then via software it starts to decrease gradually.

• Helpful
Reactions: A2be
The following link shows a lot of detail that might interest you. There, they say that the smaller motors have a different ratio -->

Undocumented | TeslaTap
This is the Model 3 subforum so I presume the ratio of interest here is 9.04:1. I haven't heard of any other gear reduction ratio for the Model 3.

My rough measurement of the rolling radius is 319mm (12 9/16"), as measured from the ground to wheel rotation axis. This compares to the tire radius spec of 336mm (13.2").

• Helpful
Reactions: A2be
Here's some data from MPP dyno testing

https://i0.wp.com/www.mountainpassp...8/08/Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg?ssl=1

Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: A2be and is2scooby