Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RTFM! Phantom braking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been reading the owners manual, and it looks like if you have problems with phantom braking you can just turn off automatic emergency braking! Page 115 of the manual. You have to do it each time you drive, but if your normal driving route has consistent issues it may be worth it to you. Now, does this reduce / eliminate phantom braking that is just the TACC not functioning properly? I don't know, but anyone who consistently has phantom breaking that wants to try this out and report back it would be much appreciated.

I have lived and driven for several decades without automatic emergency braking, and I have had a few phantom brake events in my Bolt with zero helpful emergency brake events.

I know that back when Model 3 first came out AP was an option, not included for free the cars had "dumb" cruise control... I drive some curvy roads that are perfectly safe at 10 mph over the speed limit... if TACCS slows down for curves I would prefer good old fashioned dumb cruise control... I wonder if Electrified Garage can set that up?

Keith

Last edited:
I'm not sure how, "You should disable a potentially lifesaving emergency driving aid as a possible (but untested) workaround for a software and/or hardware flaw" qualifies as a Read The Freaking Manual point. I particularly loved the follow-up, "I've never used it so it must be worthless" rationale. This is shitposting at an elevated level.

Are you kidding me? Shitposting to give reference to the manual? Put your bike helmet on before you go to bed tonight, you wouldn't want to get brain injury if you fall out of bed from a nightmare.

I see constant bitching and moaning on this forum about phantom braking. If you like this feature, more power to you, my post was for the people who hate it and are looking for a solution. I found a potential solution in the manual and posted about it. They can try it or not as they see fit.

Keith

Last edited:
My doctor says I have an extremely thick skull, but I appreciate your concern.

It is shitposting. RTFM suggests that the users are using the system incorrectly, not that you’ve “discovered” a half-assed workaround. “Hey guys, read the ****ing manual. If the TPMS light keeps coming on erroneously just pull out the fuse. Duh.” Genius.

Further, you didn’t even bother to check it out because (as best I can tell) you don’t own the car. On its face it seems like a moronic idea that wouldn’t work if an actual owner was dumb enough to try it (I am and I’m not, respectively). In the complaints and reports that I’ve read, the system isn’t triggering emergency braking while the driver is in control, it’s getting confused when the car itself has control. Two entirely different situations. So you’re recommending disabling a safety feature to correct an unrelated issue. Congrats.

I’d say keep your lame attempts at ad hominem attacks and your bad advice to yourself, champ. But that’s just me. I’m just some guy on the internet that forgot his helmet last night.

My doctor says I have an extremely thick skull, but I appreciate your concern.

It is shitposting. RTFM suggests that the users are using the system incorrectly, not that you’ve “discovered” a half-assed workaround. “Hey guys, read the ****ing manual. If the TPMS light keeps coming on erroneously just pull out the fuse. Duh.” Genius.

Further, you didn’t even bother to check it out because (as best I can tell) you don’t own the car. On its face it seems like a moronic idea that wouldn’t work if an actual owner was dumb enough to try it (I am and I’m not, respectively). In the complaints and reports that I’ve read, the system isn’t triggering emergency braking while the driver is in control, it’s getting confused when the car itself has control. Two entirely different situations. So you’re recommending disabling a safety feature to correct an unrelated issue. Congrats.

I’d say keep your lame attempts at ad hominem attacks and your bad advice to yourself, champ. But that’s just me. I’m just some guy on the internet that forgot his helmet last night.

Wow. Mind read much?

How many time do you read a question about something on here that is in the manual but people are unable to grasp how it works because they didn't read the manual? I see it all the time. By the time I get my MY I will have read the manual front to back. That will not in any way shape or form make me an expert, but I bet I will ask less questions where the answer is "In the manual on page xxx it says blah blah blah". The manual makes no mention of pulling fuses like an imbecile to correct a problem (Tesla doesn't have traditional wire harness fuses according to Sandy Monroe, is he wrong?) but it does allow users to disable AEB... read the manual if you don't believe me :)

I have seen two types of phantom braking described by people, the gentle "hey what's that?" TACC intervention, and the "holy $hit, what the F is that!" slam on the brakes for no apparent reason phantom braking. It isn't my fault that you don't see the difference when someone gives a clear concise description of what happened.

Personally, not having the car yet I have not had ANY phantom brake episodes... so that mean they don't exist and anti Tesla FUD is the only reason they are even mentioned on these boards, and anyone mentioning them is a hater who must be ridiculed and put in his place! Thanks for enlisting me in the zombie army, I will not forget your kindness!

Keith

PS: You say that this is a dangerous and moronic idea, but wonder if I have tried it myself... are you trying to kill me?

Last edited:
The phantom braking reports I’ve seen are 100% related to TACC/AP/EAP/Autosteer/FSD modes, not the car on full manual slamming to an emergency halt for no reason.

You’re talking out of your ass and you’re too small to admit it. I get it. It’s okay. We all mature at different speeds. Your day will come.

Enjoy your model y. It’s a great car. Based on this thread I would highly recommend that you not disable the nanny systems. I think you need the help, however buggy it may be. See, I do care about your safety, as well as the safety of those in your path
Well, I have been reading the owners manual, and it looks like if you have problems with phantom braking you can just turn off automatic emergency braking! Page 115 of the manual. You have to do it each time you drive, but if your normal driving route has consistent issues it may be worth it to you. Now, does this reduce / eliminate phantom braking that is just the TACC not functioning properly? I don't know,

You are so ignorant you make me ill.

Did you even read my first post before taking a steaming crap on it? Not really, or you would not be implying that I think I know it all and can't admit it when I don't know something... but in my first post (the one you didn't read) I asked if EAB being disabled would affect TACC intervention, and said that I don't know.

Also, you obviously didn't read the fing manual. You don't know how EAB works. It does NOT slam on the brakes and bring the car to a stop it slams on the brakes and reduced the speed by 30 mph. Your ignorance and not knowing how EAB works makes you unable to distinguish between a TACC intervention and a EAB intervention when someone describes a phantom braking event. Your ignorance isn't my problem, unless you put all your faith in safety systems that don't work, then you are a problem for everyone who shares the road with you.

I can't wait to see how you misinterpret this post to make yourself correct. Keep that up, you will go far in life.

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: Darblish and Alan_F
Status
Not open for further replies.