Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RTX OE Spider 18” on 2023 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a few posts here about 18” wheels that fit on the MYP and just wanted to record a datapoint that does work. I know a few folks here have them on their LR and I was concerned about clearance with the MYP rear caliper cover.

Specs:
RTX OE Spider 18x8.5”, ET35mm 64.1mm bore
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All-Season 245/50ZR18 XL 104Y
Stock TPMS

Weights:
RTX Wheels: 21.8lbs ea (fish scale)
18” Tires: 29.2lbs ea (fish scale)
RTX wheel+tire: 51.4lbs ea (bathroom scale)
MYP 21” Uberturbines (F/R): 67.0/71.2lbs ea

Clearance:
I was worried about buying these sight unseen but went for it. Before mounting them, I dry fitted them to the car and found about 15mm clearance in the front and 10mm in the rear calipers. Basically one/two finger thickness gap. Seems right but plenty for how thin wheel weights are. I found Gemini wheels to have a pretty tight clearance as well.

Efficiency/Ride:
I haven’t driven on these more than a few miles but I plan on updating this post if people are interested. Since the tires are basically the same compound and weight as before, I don’t expect tons of efficiency gains.

Cost:
$1078 CAD/795USD shipped. Got these off eBay and they came to California in about 8 days. Brand new and decently packaged. Store was called partsterr_canada. No affiliation. Use a CC that doesn’t have foreign transaction fees.
Tires were ~$250ea from tire rack. This size is more affordable than 19-21, another benefit.
TPMS were $110/set also from ebay. They are takeoffs so they were fully functional but showed minor wear.

So far, very happy with the fitment, cost and ability to rotate. Time will tell on efficiency.

Attachments

• wheelcomparison_small.JPG
    wheelcomparison_small.JPG
    870.4 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:
The wheel load limit on these is 720kg which is slightly higher than the Model 3 18" Aeros (700kg on the older ones) and slightly below the Tsportline 18" (which are 750kg). After figuring out my use case Gross Vehicle Weight, which does not included towing, I'm comfortable with that rating. The tires are XL rated and exceed the rating of the stock sizes. If I were pulling a trailer, I'd probably stick with Geminis which I believe have the highest load rating. Zoomit has a post about his analysis of Model Y load limit scenarios.

As far as the install, I had no problem having them mount and balance the wheels (Big O'Tires). I told them it was for a Model Y Performance but I installed them myself at home. I'm too paranoid of tire shops using impact wrenches on lugnuts, cross threading the studs, scratching the 21's that I'd like to sell eventually, etc. TireRack did not want to sell me any tire that wasn't XL rated. Originally, I was planning on 245/55R18 CrossClimate2s which are SL rated. I gave up on it and went with the Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons, which are XL rated.

Reactions: Skavatar
The wheel load limit on these is 720kg which is slightly higher than the Model 3 18" Aeros (700kg on the older ones) and slightly below the Tsportline 18" (which are 750kg). After figuring out my use case Gross Vehicle Weight, which does not included towing, I'm comfortable with that rating. The tires are XL rated and exceed the rating of the stock sizes. If I were pulling a trailer, I'd probably stick with Geminis which I believe have the highest load rating. Zoomit has a post about his analysis of Model Y load limit scenarios.

As far as the install, I had no problem having them mount and balance the wheels (Big O'Tires). I told them it was for a Model Y Performance but I installed them myself at home. I'm too paranoid of tire shops using impact wrenches on lugnuts, cross threading the studs, scratching the 21's that I'd like to sell eventually, etc. TireRack did not want to sell me any tire that wasn't XL rated. Originally, I was planning on 245/55R18 CrossClimate2s which are SL rated. I gave up on it and went with the Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons, which are XL rated.

We are so much on the same track. I bought Michelin CC2 in 235-55-18 size and was worried about the SL rating. I did a lot of research on the tire sizes and comparison with stock tires. I eventually zeroed in on either 245-55-18 CC2 or 245-50-18 Pilot A/S 4. Co-incidentally my MYP also came installed with Pilot A/S 4 as the stock tires (unlike Pirelli P Zero that I heard usually MYP comes with). Finally, I decided to stick to A/S 4 as my 18" tires.

I really liked the CC2 reviews and 245-55-18 does have a load rating of 1929 lbs, which is the same as stock 21" A/S 4 (275-35-21). Front A/S 4 has an even lower load rating. And interestingly 245-50-18 A/S 4 has a load rating of 1984 lbs. This makes me believe that CC2 in 245-55-18 would be sufficient for MYP. I might look at those for my next set of tires.

I like your idea of self-installing tires/wheels after getting them mounted and balanced at the store, however, I do not have the right equipment at home and without that, it will be too much work with a hand wrench. I am also planning to sell off the uber-turbines so I want no damage to them. I will have to figure this out.

Also, my car seems to pull to the left while driving on the freeway. I have created a service request with the Tesla SC, do you know if I get these 18" installed, Tesla would say no for fixing the 'car pulling to the left' issue? I have posted a question for the SC rep on the app, waiting to hear back. Just wanted to see if you came across any info on that in your research. Also, why did you give up on CC2?

I saw a few posts here about 18” wheels that fit on the MYP and just wanted to record a datapoint that does work. I know a few folks here have them on their LR and I was concerned about clearance with the MYP rear caliper cover.

Specs:
Stock TPMS

Weights:

Clearance:
I was worried about buying these sight unseen but went for it. Before mounting them, I dry fitted them to the car and found about 15mm clearance in the front and 10mm in the rear calipers. Basically one/two finger thickness gap. Seems right but plenty for how thin wheel weights are. I found Gemini wheels to have a pretty tight clearance as well.

Efficiency/Ride:
I haven’t driven on these more than a few miles but I plan on updating this post if people are interested. Since the tires are basically the same compound and weight as before, I don’t expect tons of efficiency gains.

Cost:
$1078 CAD/795USD shipped. Got these off eBay and they came to California in about 8 days. Brand new and decently packaged. Store was called partsterr_canada. No affiliation. Use a CC that doesn’t have foreign transaction fees.
Tires were ~$250ea from tire rack. This size is more affordable than 19-21, another benefit.
TPMS were $110/set also from ebay. They are takeoffs so they were fully functional but showed minor wear.

So far, very happy with the fitment, cost and ability to rotate. Time will tell on efficiency.

The wheels look really good man. Did you have to buy the lug nuts or were able to use the ones MYP came with?

Specs:
Stock TPMS

Weights:

Clearance:

Efficiency/Ride:

Cost:

Looks good. I can't believe they are 18s. They look bigger.

We are so much on the same track. I bought Michelin CC2 in 235-55-18 size and was worried about the SL rating. I did a lot of research on the tire sizes and comparison with stock tires. I eventually zeroed in on either 245-55-18 CC2 or 245-50-18 Pilot A/S 4. Co-incidentally my MYP also came installed with Pilot A/S 4 as the stock tires (unlike Pirelli P Zero that I heard usually MYP comes with). Finally, I decided to stick to A/S 4 as my 18" tires.

I really liked the CC2 reviews and 245-55-18 does have a load rating of 1929 lbs, which is the same as stock 21" A/S 4 (275-35-21). Front A/S 4 has an even lower load rating. And interestingly 245-50-18 A/S 4 has a load rating of 1984 lbs. This makes me believe that CC2 in 245-55-18 would be sufficient for MYP. I might look at those for my next set of tires.

I like your idea of self-installing tires/wheels after getting them mounted and balanced at the store, however, I do not have the right equipment at home and without that, it will be too much work with a hand wrench. I am also planning to sell off the uber-turbines so I want no damage to them. I will have to figure this out.

Also, my car seems to pull to the left while driving on the freeway. I have created a service request with the Tesla SC, do you know if I get these 18" installed, Tesla would say no for fixing the 'car pulling to the left' issue? I have posted a question for the SC rep on the app, waiting to hear back. Just wanted to see if you came across any info on that in your research. Also, why did you give up on CC2?
Yes, you seem to have gone through the same thought process as me!

At first I thought XL was just extra reinforcement to achieve a higher load index # (max load in kg or lbs), which is why the higher profile tires like 245/55R18 are only offered in SL since they have more sidewall to play with and it would be overkill to reinforce it. After reading some more articles, it seems like the load index # is only valid up to 36psi where the XL tire's load index is valid to 42psi. So if you plan on running 42 psi, XL tires are the only ones tested to that. Whether the load performance really degrades from 36psi to 42psi on the CC2 without XL rating... who knows? Maybe Michelin will make that size into XL in the future.

I also liked the CC2 reviews on YouTube/Reddit/TireRack, and having driven on the snow on stock 19s on Continentals, I was very interested in the three-peak mountain tire. I originally placed my order for the CC2 but Tirerack pushed back saying they wouldn't sell me a non-XL tire. I was going to cancel and reorder them anyway (without stating my vehicle so it wouldn't be scrutinized) but I just zoomed out and thought about my main goals: performance in dry/wet, noise, and efficiency (I only made 1-2 snow trips a year). The CC2 would be killer in the snow but they are not as good in the dry, probably better in the wet, louder and less efficient. I figured that I would be OK to drive on the Pilot A/S 4 in light snow and I'm comfortable using Autosocks when it gets sketchy or when my tread is lower.

Re: installation, I have a $99 harbor freight floor jack, 21mm socket, $70 torque wrench, 1/2" breaker bar and ratchet, and those specialized jack pucks for Teslas. I don't use a jack stand when just changing wheels. It's pretty easy but I can understand it's intimidating if you haven't done it before. I had no issues with damage on the uberturbines. Honestly, I trust myself doing it and not damaging the wheels more than a shop. I never use an impact wrench, only jack in the OEM specified locations.

Not sure about your pulling issue. Sounds like alignment related and while a warranty claim certainly shouldn't be invalidated by the SC if you had aftermarket wheels, I would definitely get that taken care of before just to avoid problems with warranty.

The wheels look really good man. Did you have to buy the lug nuts or were able to use the ones MYP came with?
Stock ones work but I got some aftermarket ones on Amazon (search WH-LN1415138BK20). They look fine and torqued all the way to OEM spec, 129ft-lbs. Alternatively, you can use stock and get plastic covers but I didn't like that look and extra step to access the lug nuts.

Hard to say how they compare because I only drove the 21s for about 50 miles. The tires are the same compound so there are no savings there.

I get about 280W/mi in mixed city/hwy driving, 300-310W/mi for road trips averaging 70-75mph.
These are the same RTX/Spider wheels from discount tire?

I placed an order for these for our 2023 MYP after seeing your post. The people at discount tire have been repeatedly telling me they will not fit every step of the way!

Can’t lie and say I’m a little nervous about fitment now even though it’s the same setup as you.

These are the same RTX/Spider wheels from discount tire?

I placed an order for these for our 2023 MYP after seeing your post. The people at discount tire have been repeatedly telling me they will not fit every step of the way!

Can’t lie and say I’m a little nervous about fitment now even though it’s the same setup as you.
Yes, they should be the same as discount tire. I was nervous too so I fitted them to my car before mounting tires. The fit on the rear brake is tight but there's clearance. My backup plan was to remove the rear brake caliper cover (I think Aug 2022 MYP builds have these) if there was interference.