Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber Molding On Falcon Door - Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I just took ownership of this 2018 model X with warranty still in play for a few months.

I’m curious if anyone has claimed the falcon wing glass rubber seals check out mine they’re cracked and peeling off.

Attachments

• 992719A0-419B-4694-8C8D-57AD81877921.jpeg
    992719A0-419B-4694-8C8D-57AD81877921.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 1DD783A5-4DBA-46C6-A105-EA753B0D33D2.jpeg
    1DD783A5-4DBA-46C6-A105-EA753B0D33D2.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 240
Had it happen on my 2018, ALWAYS garaged except when parked outside for work. Hand-washed the entire time.
Two times, was denied warranty request at the service center as "cosmetic"...
Then, when I let a hose drain on the roof and drops of water were coming inside the car, they honored the warranty request.
Worth doing a good soak to see if it leaks...
for me, that seemed to be the turning point on honoring the repair under warranty.

Reactions: LavenderFemChi
There are a few other similar threads about the FWD rubber insulation falling apart on this forum elsewhere. It is happening to my July 2018 MX, and so I went into the local Dublin Service Center (CA) yesterday with a bribe (package of chocolate truffles) to ask them about that and the possibility of changing the cabin air filter and the HEPA filter since the A/C smells when first starting. The service adviser took one look and checked my warranty on-line (I am still in the primary and purchased extension), and he told me this is covered as part of Tesla's goodwill policy. They have been replacing the upper windows and the seals frequently, and told me to make a service appointment as soon as possible. They are somewhat backlogged but I put it in for October. The filters are not covered under warranty, they are felt to be a consumable item like tires, and they can also clean out the A/C unit to get rid of smells.

It helps to be nice to your service advisor.

Mike P

Had it happen on my 2018, ALWAYS garaged except when parked outside for work. Hand-washed the entire time.
Two times, was denied warranty request at the service center as "cosmetic"...
Then, when I let a hose drain on the roof and drops of water were coming inside the car, they honored the warranty request.
Worth doing a good soak to see if it leaks...
for me, that seemed to be the turning point on honoring the repair under warranty.
When you hand wash do you ever use a glass cleaner on the roof . Just thinking if ammonia based glass cleaners accelerate this problem. I had a 2016 X and was kept in the garage most of the time and did not have this issue. Had a 95K miles on it. I used Invisible Glass cleaner which is ammonia free. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Depends on your SC, they may or may not fix it under warranty claiming it’s cosmetic and does not interfere with the seal. My local SC did not cover it and wanted over thousand for both sides because the glasses need to be replaced. You will just have to ask your SC to see what they say.

There are so many different threads about this on TMC I'm wondering if anyone has tried tweeting at Elon... $2500 seems more than a bit excessive for an issue that every SC seems to be aware of. I've never had a car that at 5 years old has any of its seals crumbling away. At the Model X price point you would expect slightly better support from the manufacturer, especially while the vehicle was still under warranty. Even outside of warranty I've had both Lexus and Mercedes make "goodwill" repairs to my vehicle under a TSB, not a recall. That's not always easy because with them you have dealers that don't always want to do the right thing but, in the end, I was able to get corporate to cover the repair when it's a widely known issue detailed in a TSB. Toyota even gave me a free extended warranty (Toyota Extra Care) on my IS350 because they were so confident the issue would not return.

Reactions: henderrj
Yep My 1999 Model X window seals discrengrated too . Who ever heard of this... Defective rubber Cost a fortune to repair.. and then the guarantee is only 1 year.. The car is 3 years old. Yes it was outside.. Ikes who knew the car needed to be babysat.. only has 23,000 miles. I was told it's not covered. It's part of the window glass so it's over 2,000 dollars... both falcon doors are effected. Any work arounds?? Class Action Suit??
A5432290-AA5A-4E1E-8841-EDCEDDC68CD2_1_105_c.jpeg

CDF6987A-25DE-419F-8E7E-33D84DA3A5AC_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep My 1999 Model X window seals discrengrated too . Who ever heard of this... Defective rubber Cost a fortune to repair.. and then the guarantee is only 1 year.. The car is 3 years old. Yes it was outside.. Ikes who knew the car needed to be babysat.. only has 23,000 miles. I was told it's not covered. It's part of the window glass so it's over 2,000 dollars... both falcon doors are effected. Any work arounds?? Class Action Suit??

Only 23k miles in 24 years!? How is your battery holding up?? 🤣🤣

In all seriousness, Im concerned about this becoming an issue with my 2019. It only has 14k miles though (purchased at 13k) and the seals look to be in new condition, but I've already started using "Gummi Pflege" as recommended by others on the forum. Mine is a garage queen and I'm 99% sure the previous owner kept it garaged as well. I work from home, so my vehicle is garaged most of the day and doesn't sit in parking lots.

What kind of regular sun exposure does your X get?

Also, from what I can tell, Gummi Pflege does not have a UV protectant. Can anyone recommend a rubber protectant that includes UV? I figure that should help delay the damage happening to the seals

Reactions: GasNah

In all seriousness, Im concerned about this becoming an issue with my 2019. It only has 14k miles though (purchased at 13k) and the seals look to be in new condition, but I've already started using "Gummi Pflege" as recommended by others on the forum. Mine is a garage queen and I'm 99% sure the previous owner kept it garaged as well. I work from home, so my vehicle is garaged most of the day and doesn't sit in parking lots.

Also, from what I can tell, Gummi Pflege does not have a UV protectant. Can anyone recommend a rubber protectant that includes UV? I figure that should help delay the damage happening to the seals
I’m being told today from Carmax warranty that weather seals can be replace without replacing glass. I will keep you guys updated on whether or not this is true

I just bought that Gummi Pflege Stift stuff and it does say on the bottle that it protects from UV. How is the stuff working for you so far? Do you recommend it?

I just bought that Gummi Pflege Stift stuff and it does say on the bottle that it protects from UV. How is the stuff working for you so far? Do you recommend it?
I do see that now in the product description. I don’t remember seeing it when I was first doing research but it would make sense to have UV protectant.

Seems to work fine. It does leave a tacky residue behind that likes to collect dirt/dust (especially on exposed rubber) so I usually give it another gentile wipe down after it dries. It will also leave a film on glass that takes a little effort to remove.

I plan on continuing to use it every month or 2 (more in the summer) and hopefully my falcon door seals will last!