Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber Puck Solution (M3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
If, like me, you bought the cheaper jacking point pucks on Amazon and then read about problems with them here's the answer. It appears some people had found that they embed into the jack point and are very difficult to remove.

I first tentatively pushed the puck into place and could see that the locating peg part of the puck was actually a bit too long. It seemed obvious that if used with the full weight of the car it would squash the peg and form a mushroom shape that would cause the problem. I then noticed the the dimension of the peg on the more expensive ones was 0.6 inch whilst I measured the peg on my cheap ones as a full inch. The answer was clear... just saw off half the peg ... half an inch is ample to locate the puck (that thing ain't movin' with the best part of 2 tons pressing down on it!)

I had winter tyres fitted today and the fitter was pleased to make use of my set of jacking pucks on their 4 point lift as they hadn't done an M3 before. No problems occurred.

See truncated puck peg below:
rubberpuck.jpg

thanks for this. It reminded me that I meant to ask everyone here if I need more than one of these.

I had assumed that only one jack would be used on the car at once. Would there be a situation where there might be a need for a couple of jacks at once, say in a garage?

thanks for this. It reminded me that I meant to ask everyone here if I need more than one of these.

I had assumed that only one jack would be used on the car at once. Would there be a situation where there might be a need for a couple of jacks at once, say in a garage?
I bought 4 of the metal ones from eBay on the assumption that at some point a garage might need to jack the car up entirely. They were cheap enough. When I had my winter wheels & tyres put on this week, the garage used two and jacked the car up to do front and rear each side together. No reason why they couldn’t do one corner at a time, but I had the jacking pucks and two guys were able to do the job faster that way. So one is probably enough for most jobs. But I am pleased I had the set of four.

Garages commonly use a four post lift. You may only need one for changing a wheel yourself but it you are having a garage do something on your car (not just wheels) they may want to lift it that way and need four "pucks".

Reactions: KennethS
Local garage has jacked my S up three times for flat tyres. They have been kind enough to do it by lifting the whole back end rather than just one corner to help avoid torsional stresses.... on their 4 post ift with a sub jack. All we used were some blocks of wood between jack and jack point. The bigger nuisance was that their subjack fully extended is just wide enough to the point where we've painted a line on the lift to align my rear tyre to. Last puncture cost me a whole tenner. Tesla wanted to sell me a new tyre..

Any more pointers on pucks ?

Where are folks getting them from ?

Just removed the wee back panel (2 screws where tow point would be) and it was full of gravel and grit (hardly driven the pucking thing !)

Whilst it's doing heehaw I was think about removing all the underside panels and de-gravelling.

Alternatively, without lifting, I could drive onto some stepped stacks of 6x2s and put a small child under with a socket set.

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
Any more pointers on pucks ?

Where are folks getting them from ?

Just removed the wee back panel (2 screws where tow point would be) and it was full of gravel and grit (hardly driven the pucking thing !)

Whilst it's doing heehaw I was think about removing all the underside panels and de-gravelling.

Alternatively, without lifting, I could drive onto some stepped stacks of 6x2s and put a small child under with a socket set.
I got these from Amazon, and mine don’t stick. They’ve been used a couple of times by the alloy wheel repairer... :confused:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SW2T9JM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the small child idea would be much more cost-effective!

Reactions: DaddyCool
I bought the set that Abstract Ocean sells. Not cheap at $105 (including the case) but couldn't be bothered to do the whole eBay thing and I was putting in an order anyway.

We got those. Not cheap, but an absolute breeze to use and nice low profile to allow greater range of jacks to fit beneath the low sills. You just know that you, or anyone else needing to use them, will be able to trust them when you need them most. Happy with my purchase, the extra cost is long forgotten. The only negative, they are solid so won't flex to fit the scissor jack until I mod the jack with a flat saddle.

Reactions: Durzel