Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber Seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model 3 last September (9/2018). Absolutely LOVE the car, but there are a few minor quality issues with some of the rubber seals. Pictures attached. A couple questions: Is the gap behind the front passenger window going to be a problem? It doesnt make any wind noise Im just concerned about moisture getting in there. How do I go about getting these items fixed, just schedule appointment through the app? I did go over the rest of the car and it all seems fine. I realize that no car company is perfect, but its odd these even made it passed QA as they are (IMO) relatively obvious issues. Its taken me almost a year to get around to addressing these issues, just busy. TIA, advice is appreciated. :)

IMG_20190822_174053.jpg
IMG_20190822_174250.jpg

I had the exact same issue with my trunk seal. I thought I was the only one. I had mobile service replace the trunk seal yet there is still a gap in the bottom corners. The mobile service tech did say to try to leave the car out in the sun in the hopes that it would expand and fill in the gap. It hasn't. I had him ask other techs if they noticed the gap as well on other M3 they worked on and they stated they haven't. I guess this may be more prevalent that just me. I wonder how this will be when winter comes around.

Pull up the trunk gasket, pull out the flange which is tucked under and then reseat it. As soon as you pull it up, you'll see the flange, and you won't believe the Ranger doesn't know that the flange has been tucked under. Just unfold the flange, and reseat. My pic is showing it partially done.

IMG_2782.jpg

The B-pillar gasket can also be re-seated. Mine were exactly like yours. I drove around like that for 8 months, no water issues. In the last week, I decided to pull the gasket out and reseat it so that the flange covers the edge of the B-pillar:

IMG_1102.jpg
View attachment 445323

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ST3ALTH and jebinc
Sorry, the pulled out gasket is showing the wrong side of the B-pillar. Here's the other side. The pulled out gasket just covers the edge. You have to massage it to get it to stay in place.
IMG_3087.jpg

@KenC, that is very interesting. I always wanted to look at other M3's to see what the trunk seal looked like but never had time. It is as simple as lifting up the seal and I will be easily able to find the flange? Is this only for the bottom by the bumper or does this flange continue around the sides, etc?

Thanks for the responses, good to know I am not alone. So I pushed and pulled on the trunk seal and it would not budge at all. Perhaps there is some technique to it, but I felt like I was gonna damage it if I tugged on it much harder. In any case I went ahead and scheduled an appointment through the app for mobile service to drop by on the 30th. Will report back.

Thanks for the responses, good to know I am not alone. So I pushed and pulled on the trunk seal and it would not budge at all. Perhaps there is some technique to it, but I felt like I was gonna damage it if I tugged on it much harder. In any case I went ahead and scheduled an appointment through the app for mobile service to drop by on the 30th. Will report back.

Tesla- "More than some assembly, repainting, and fixing required" Tesla should give a service manual with each car. If you read the manual for service Tesla recommends selling the car before the warranty expires.

There is a new book out. Tesla hacks for Dummies. It shows you how to put your car back together properly. It's on the 25th edition already and you can pre-order future versions to keep up.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and cherrybomb
Yank it up, won't damage anything. There might be a little whitish goop adhesive. You don't have to pull it completely off, but you can if you like. As you can see from my pic, I just wiggled my plastic spudger under the flange, and kept working it around. Yes, you can pull the flange out around ¾ of the trunk. The top, there's nothing to seat the flange against.

Once you get a bit of the flange out, you'll be able to figure out yourself, exactly how much you want to lift it off or not. Having said that, once you get it off, it goes down really easy. I mean, 10 mins to do the whole thing.

When you do it, you'll shake your head at how stupid must the worker be to not seat the trunk gasket properly. And, you'll shake your head more when you realize some of the Techs must not have a clue either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I had the exact same issue with my trunk seal. I thought I was the only one. I had mobile service replace the trunk seal yet there is still a gap in the bottom corners. The mobile service tech did say to try to leave the car out in the sun in the hopes that it would expand and fill in the gap. It hasn't. I had him ask other techs if they noticed the gap as well on other M3 they worked on and they stated they haven't. I guess this may be more prevalent that just me. I wonder how this will be when winter comes around.
Clueless! If you have a gap, it means the Tech never pulled out the flange! The pic below is what mine looked like originally. There's a gap. Look one post above, at the last pic. In the same corner, now you'll see I've pulled out the flange, and there's no gap. No need to warm up. The flange is out or it isn't.
IMG_2781.jpg

• Helpful
Clueless! If you have a gap, it means the Tech never pulled out the flange! The pic below is what mine looked like originally. There's a gap. Look one post above, at the last pic. In the same corner, now you'll see I've pulled out the flange, and there's no gap. No need to warm up. The flange is out or it isn't.
View attachment 445341

Wait a minute... Are you saying nothing should be tucked under the bumper edge like you see in post #8 above? Really? No, not that "Really"...

The gasket should not tuck inside the plastic frame of the bumper. That's the flange. You need to either lift the gasket, or roll the gasket away from you, and the flange part of the gasket will pop out. Look at my pics where I stop halfway to take pics. You can see I've been pulling the flange out from under the plastic of the bumper.

• Helpful
The gasket should not tuck inside the plastic frame of the bumper. That's the flange. You need to either lift the gasket, or roll the gasket away from you, and the flange part of the gasket will pop out. Look at my pics where I stop halfway to take pics. You can see I've been pulling the flange out from under the plastic of the bumper.

Got it. Which way is it supposed to be, by design? Tucked or out like you have it?