Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber Seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yank it up, won't damage anything. There might be a little whitish goop adhesive. You don't have to pull it completely off, but you can if you like. As you can see from my pic, I just wiggled my plastic spudger under the flange, and kept working it around. Yes, you can pull the flange out around ¾ of the trunk. The top, there's nothing to seat the flange against.

Once you get a bit of the flange out, you'll be able to figure out yourself, exactly how much you want to lift it off or not. Having said that, once you get it off, it goes down really easy. I mean, 10 mins to do the whole thing.

When you do it, you'll shake your head at how stupid must the worker be to not seat the trunk gasket properly. And, you'll shake your head more when you realize some of the Techs must not have a clue either.

Thanks for the detailed instructions and pics. I will give this another go tomorrow. Yeah, thinking they were probably a bit overworked at the time, but they just potentially created more work and headaches for others by being careless. I mean, proper installation would have taken what? A few more seconds... Its still a 50 thousand dollar car and all this goes overlooked, honestly its kinda sad. Would I buy again though? Absolutely.

Reactions: KenC and jebinc
ok i'm like a few others here and just curious if my gasket "bend" around the trunk closure is supposed to be that way. those that pulled your gasket out, did the bend go away? is that what it's supposed to be like?

Im not sure the flange is supposed to be out, but it actually makes more sense that way to cover any gaps. Not sure if this resolves the bend but it definitely should not be there. Just google "Model 3 Trunk" go to "Images" and you will see proper rubber seals and surprising amount of improper ones. Damn Tesla, seriously!?

Im not sure the flange is supposed to be out, but it actually makes more sense that way to cover any gaps. Not sure if this resolves the bend but it definitely should not be there. Just google "Model 3 Trunk" go to "Images" and you will see proper rubber seals and surprising amount of improper ones. Damn Tesla, seriously!?

Good tip. It doesn't seem like the design calls for the flap being out, but rather tucked in behind the bumper edge. So, something else must be causing my bump (post #8).

I honestly wish I never noticed this... (ignorance is bliss) Until either I or Tesla can fix it I will notice every time I open the damn trunk. Kinda like that damn charge port cover not being flush when closed. Nobody else would notice, but when you spend this kind of money, you most certainly will. To be fair, as long as the car keeps running reliably they will have a leg up on BMW IMO (speaking from experience), but still.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I assumed the rubber flange needs to be out. Didn't give it two thoughts. The plastic bumper edge is not straight at all. Just look at my pics. It always looked weird, so having the bumper edge showing can't be right. It's like house construction, you always cover the unfinished edges, like the plastic bumper edge. The rubber flange on the gasket is over an inch wide, it's meant to cover large gaps, like the corner of the trunk opening. That's where most people realize there's something wrong, because there's a large gap there.

I assumed the rubber flange needs to be out. Didn't give it two thoughts. The plastic bumper edge is not straight at all. Just look at my pics. It always looked weird, so having the bumper edge showing can't be right. It's like house construction, you always cover the unfinished edges, like the plastic bumper edge. The rubber flange on the gasket is over an inch wide, it's meant to cover large gaps, like the corner of the trunk opening. That's where most people realize there's something wrong, because there's a large gap there.

No gaps for me with the tucked installation, just the hump in the center from either the metal being too high or the gasket groove not deep enough to swallow enough metal.

Okay, went out to car to look at trunk gasket. I remember now, start lifting the flange just above the tail light housing. It'll all be obvious then. Just keep working your way around to the other side.
IMG_3190.jpg

I did this too. I think it looks better with the flange out and over the bumper. Not sure if this is the correct way though...

I don't think it is. If you Google Model 3 Truck and click on images tab, they all look "tucked" to me... Could be wrong. The "tucked" looks neater and cleaner as well (at least to me). Now, what to do about that hump, that is the question...

Good pic! How can it even be up for debate, look at that gap!
View attachment 445900

Well, I would agree the flange out does cover a lot of sins your car has, as pictured (e.g., gaps, irregular bumper edges, etc.), so that would seem like the best alternative for you. I still would like to know what Tesla engineers envisioned (even if different than how Tesla production workers/robots did the "tucked" installation).

For me, I have no gaps or irregular bumper cover edges, and in fact the "tucked" looks very clean. The "humping" issue down the middle seems to stem from a stiff body part sticking up. :eek: