Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber trim on roof glass coming off where sunroof slides by.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else had this? My search skills failed me.

So the rubber trim on the stationary roof glass is coming off a bit on both sides where the sunroof slides by it. I reached out to Tesla curious if this is just aesthetic or if will lead to bigger issues/leaking.

I was told the seal in the photo is essential to stopping water ingress into the vehicle and replacement was recommended. The glass itself comes with the seal attached at the factory and cannot be ordered separately so I would be looking at replacing that entire rear glass piece for for $734. Woof.

So far it hasn't leaked and that's a tough price to rationalize to fix a bit of rubber. Any ideas for workarounds?

For reference my car is a 115K mile 2014 85.

IMG_20200512_180028.jpg

IMG_20200512_135310.jpg

Yup and yet another wtf design fail; you must replace the glass to fix the seal. Absolutely absurd the design flaws in this car. Btw the seal isn’t critical to water prevention, and it’s wear is not covered by warranty

- taillights with holes
- seals in glass that require new glass
- delaminating IC
- yellowing MCU
- eMMC chip
- door handle microswitch
- steering column

But at least warranty...ohh wait

Yup and yet another wtf design fail; you must replace the glass to fix the seal. Absolutely absurd the design flaws in this car. Btw the seal isn’t critical to water prevention, and it’s wear is not covered by warranty

- taillights with holes
- seals in glass that require new glass
- delaminating IC
- yellowing MCU
- eMMC chip
- door handle microswitch
- steering column

But at least warranty...ohh wait
I know right? It sucks that I like this car so much, but the problems....

Good to hear the seal isn't mission critical for keeping out water. I'll let it ride. I was awestruck when they said it's part of the glass and $734.

I'm tempted to try to glue it back up but it seems more likely I'd spend a lot of time doing it only to not hold long due to heat and being in an area I can't properly clean first.

Anyone else had this? My search skills failed me.

So the rubber trim on the stationary roof glass is coming off a bit on both sides where the sunroof slides by it. I reached out to Tesla curious if this is just aesthetic or if will lead to bigger issues/leaking.

I was told the seal in the photo is essential to stopping water ingress into the vehicle and replacement was recommended. The glass itself comes with the seal attached at the factory and cannot be ordered separately so I would be looking at replacing that entire rear glass piece for for $734. Woof.

So far it hasn't leaked and that's a tough price to rationalize to fix a bit of rubber. Any ideas for workarounds?

For reference my car is a 115K mile 2014 85.

View attachment 543728
View attachment 543729
I’m thinking I need to find necessary adhesive/glue to reattach the seal on the fixed glass as well as the seal around my sliding sunroof. I have not gotten a suitable answer from the service department to remedy this issue, being that I have a fair level of mechanical aptitude I have decided to do the repairs myself. Unfortunate that Tesla service department has followed suit with my years of experience with factory service departments falling short of even being adequate.

I've used Butyl in similar situations before with great success.

Can be sticky/messy, so use gloves. HARD to wash off. But also can tend to be hard to work with, using gloves. (Sticks to the gloves). But the latter is better than the former

I am having this exact issue with the weather stripping around the back glass panel. I tried glueing it, which didn't last long. Now the sunroof has ripped it and now I can't open my sunroof. I also have the weather striping cracking off, on the passenger side, of the panel that has the connections for the roof rack...not sure the specific name of the part. I now have leaks. Tesla SC said they have to replace the whole glass panel and they have to replace the whole side piece. Since they don't make the Gen1 parts anymore, I have to buy two Gen2 panels. Total cost will be over $4K to stop the leaking......$4K for a total of four feet of rubber. WTF! I'm trying to see if I can find any salvaged parts or just the rubber to replace it myself. Anyone know of sources to find the parts?

Attachments

• Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak1.jpg
    Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak1.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak2.jpg
    Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak2.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 238
  • Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak3.jpg
    Tesla85_PassengerSide_WeatherSealBreak3.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Tesla85_PassengerSideRear_Leak.jpg
    Tesla85_PassengerSideRear_Leak.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 234
Wow @Dahlhouse77 . That makes me start to regret not doing the $734 fix. I never even considered parts running out. What a bad design. I really thought it was going to be under $100 when I'd asked about it. I haven't used my sunroof in ages because I'm worried it'll speed up the problem.

As for actual worthwhile advice parts or cars being parted out show up on ebay from big wrecking yards. Worth reaching out to some large ones locally also. There is a want to buy section on this forum. You may have to check out the service manual to figure out the recommended means of removal/replacing.

Good luck and keep the thread updated!

Hello All, I just now noticed that my 2015 P85D has the same issue. I still have extended warranty (looks like some of them are lucky to get it fixed and for some them Tesla told not covered by warranty) crossing my fingers as my service apt is on Jan 25th. Any update would be helpful ?

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 203