Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rude and Arrogant at Yorkdale Toronto Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I went today, and although I came 15 minutes before they close, the guy took his time answering my questions and I had no sense from him that he was trying to rush me out of the store...
I ask for a test drive and he could have schedule one for me this week, but he I ask for week ends and according to him he'll have to wait t'il mid or end of July... Which I had absolutely no problem waiting for...

I was surprised that it was the same guy that I though was a bit similar to your traditional salesman from the dealer... But yah maybe last time it was a just a bad dayfor him but yah now I totally have nothing bad to say about the service...

Now I'm not sure if I'll get that test drive lol since I already got one 3 months ago but the point of this was to evaluate the service and It was good, what I expected from Tesla...

Reactions: Footbag
Has anyone else had a bad experience at the Toronto Yorkdale Mall location. They don't answer the phones, rude and arrogant in person, hard to find staff to talk to and good luck getting a test drive. As a deposit holder and shareholder who can easily afford an S or X, I'm quite disappointed and not the Tesla level that I would expect. I am honestly having second thoughts about keeping my reservation.
I'm a big Tesla Fan and believer and honestly the in store experience has soured me. Curious if anyone else is having bad experiences at Yorkdale? They sure have caught on to the Toronto and Yorkdale level of arrogance and rudeness, which is concerning and disappointing.

End rant :)

Maybe you got a bad bunch or maybe Ur expectation was a bit too high so here is what I propose... Give them another chance and stop by when you can and prepare a list of questions... Evaluate how long it takes for someone coming to talk to you, how he make you feel etc and if you are not please about the service another day call back at the store and ask to speak with the manager of the store and see how the respond or follow back to your complaint... (please no need to mention that you can easily buy and X or you are shareholder, try to do it as a regular Joe and see how it is...) what do you think?

The big problem I see is that none of the people who were around when I bought my car, are there now. Turnover is a big issue.
Having said that, I walked into Yorkdale on Friday around 6 pm and there was no one in the store. Had a brief chat with whomever was there in sales too!
I've never had a bad experience there or Lawrence.

We had a great experience at Yorkdale in 2014 when we had our test drive and bought our "S". We were with them for over 5 hours and they answered our mirage of questions without hesitation and always with a smile on their face.
We do not know the current situation as Tesla has become more popular everywhere.
That was 2 years ago. I, too have found Yorkdale to be a bit snippy in comparison to Lawrence E

Maybe you got a bad bunch or maybe Ur expectation was a bit too high so here is what I propose... Give them another chance and stop by when you can and prepare a list of questions... Evaluate how long it takes for someone coming to talk to you, how he make you feel etc and if you are not please about the service another day call back at the store and ask to speak with the manager of the store and see how the respond or follow back to your complaint... (please no need to mention that you can easily buy and X or you are shareholder, try to do it as a regular Joe and see how it is...) what do you think?

I actually came in as a "regular Joe" but also as someone genuinely interested in the vehicle.

I do find the level of service and experience unfortunate, especially given the stories and experiences at other Tesla stores in the States. I hate to see Tesla Yorkdale stoop down to a "Canadian" level of customer service, but I'll give them credit, the service and experience was on par with what one would expect at Yorkdale Mall :p

It does sound like there has been turnover and management issues at Yorkdale, so perhaps that explains it.

Thank you everyone for responding.

I actually came in as a "regular Joe" but also as someone genuinely interested in the vehicle.

I do find the level of service and experience unfortunate, especially given the stories and experiences at other Tesla stores in the States. I hate to see Tesla Yorkdale stoop down to a "Canadian" level of customer service, but I'll give them credit, the service and experience was on par with what one would expect at Yorkdale Mall :p

It does sound like there has been turnover and management issues at Yorkdale, so perhaps that explains it.

Thank you everyone for responding.

I'll take it the by the use of this :p, your comment about a "Canadian" level of customer service is facetious.

I don't shop at the Yorkdale Mall very often, but have never had a substandard customer service issue with any of their stores.

I'm not sure it is fair to be naming Tesla staff (with respect to a complaint) on this forum, as there is no way for them to respond.

On that note, I have talked to a couple Tesla staffers who, while not named and shamed, had their dealings with customers discussed on TMC. As the staff indeed have no way to respond on TMC, they were left feeling pretty terrible. Not terrible because they made a mistake (maybe they did or did not, not really the point), but rather because people were picking apart the situation "incorrectly" (not having all the info), and again, they just got to read and 'take it' with no way to retort.

I've only had good experiences at Yorkdale, and it's my only interactions with Tesla outside of getting delivery at the Lawrence location and the auto show. I haven't had any service issues yet.

I was hesitant to walk in in the first place, I was 29 years old at the time in jeans and a t-shirt with no intent on buying. I am not the typical buyer, and was not sure if they would give me the time of day. A few months later with 2 test drives and a few other visits for questions, I finally purchased an S. Throughout the whole time, they answered all my questions, we're patient and never rushed me or blew me off in any of my visits - responded to all my emails, followed up on calls promptly. I had no complaints. Hopefully what you had was a one off or a bad day.

I've only had good experiences at Yorkdale, and it's my only interactions with Tesla outside of getting delivery at the Lawrence location and the auto show. I haven't had any service issues yet.

I was hesitant to walk in in the first place, I was 29 years old at the time in jeans and a t-shirt with no intent on buying. I am not the typical buyer, and was not sure if they would give me the time of day. A few months later with 2 test drives and a few other visits for questions, I finally purchased an S. Throughout the whole time, they answered all my questions, we're patient and never rushed me or blew me off in any of my visits - responded to all my emails, followed up on calls promptly. I had no complaints. Hopefully what you had was a one off or a bad day.
Although I've had some good experiences with Yorkdale, I have found their demener on the phone to be hit or miss.

I definitely don't dress the part as someone who could afford a Tesla. It sucks that we live in a world like this

My only bad experience with Yorkdale is the sales rep tried to pressure me into a reservation at the end of a test drive, which I really didn't like.

I was there simply to test drive the car and see if I even like it before I do any further research and budgeting.

I eventually did do a Model X reservation about a month after the test drive, but wasn't ready at the initial test drive, and I was made to feel like a "waste of their time" when I left the store without a reservation on the spot. Other than that, its been great.

Even my DS has been pretty good! I've only emailed him 3 times so far, the first time it took 2 days to get back to me, second time about 5 days, and third time I heard back within 24 hours!

Personally I feel the staff at the Lawrence location are a lot more friendly!

My only bad experience with Yorkdale is the sales rep tried to pressure me into a reservation at the end of a test drive, which I really didn't like.

I was there simply to test drive the car and see if I even like it before I do any further research and budgeting.

I eventually did do a Model X reservation about a month after the test drive, but wasn't ready at the initial test drive, and I was made to feel like a "waste of their time" when I left the store without a reservation on the spot. Other than that, its been great.

Even my DS has been pretty good! I've only emailed him 3 times so far, the first time it took 2 days to get back to me, second time about 5 days, and third time I heard back within 24 hours!

I agree. Lawrence seems to be friendlier. Although some of the Staff aren't very knowledgable about the MX

I think it might be the same guy I encountered...did you go on a weekend ? or was it during the week?

To be fair, they are busy. If they're having an off day, I'm not surprised. I went there a couple of times, and some know-it-alls really like pressing buttons by "showing their knowledge" by telling the employees how they're wrong. With the way that Tesla changes things around regularly I can imagine it gets difficult to remember every nuance about the cars.

The other option is to head over to the Lawrence showroom, but again, it gets swamped too. It's part luck of the dice to find exactly when it's not going to be busy. It's going to be harder once the 3 actually launches and people want to see it in person.

I'm only 50 but I remember when people dressed up to go to the airport. Now I see people wearing their pj's to the airport.

I wore a suit when I went to test drive before I bought. To me, it sucks we live in a world where people think we should judge people the same regardless of how they present themselves. Sorry, but if you apply for a job with me wearing a ring through your nose, I'm not hiring you. I have clients to consider and I need to present a proper image of my business. I couldn't care less about being politically correct. I'm no Trump supporter but he's right when he says we need to profile to keep us safe. If five grandmothers get on a plane, or five dark skinned 30ish males, and we screen the grandmothers more thoroughly than the males, so as not to profile, we are doing a lousy job of keeping us safe.

If I worked as a salesperson and my job was to sell expensive vehicles, I would treat everyone with courtesy and respect, but at the same time I would be far more inclined to spend more time, and give longer test drives, etc. to those who showed more respect to the process, and that includes dressing as someone who can afford what I am selling. That seems so obvious to me but I think we've lost all perspective with stupid political correctness.
So you're saying I have to go "dress up," to buy a car? I don't agree with you there. Everyone who walks through the door should be treated equally, but I know that will never happen unfortunately.

I know that I don't do it on purpose, but I "judge" clients who walk into my stores. At the end of day, I want them to be happy and leave with something that makes them smile.

So you're saying I have to go "dress up," to buy a car?

No. Not at all. You missed my point. I said what I did and the reason I did it. I wear a suit daily because of the nature of my business so wearing a suit is commonplace for me. When I do things outside of the office, I judge the activity and dress appropriately.

You can wear whatever you want to go for a test drive in a $100k plus vehicle -- that's fine by me. But you said you "definitely don't dress the part as someone who could afford a Tesla. It sucks that we live in a world like this" and I replied with some examples of why I don't think it sucks we live in a world where people judge based on looks, and I asked for more judging based on looks (i.e. profiling).

I'm also not against the policy of "no shoes, no shirt, no service" or the fact that you can't wear whatever you want to eat in most 5 star restaurants, but if you asked me if Tesla should have the same policy and if you're saying that I am saying...

So you're saying I have to go "dress up," to buy a car?

I would say "no" -- that would be a bad policy for Tesla. It's good for 5 star restaurants though. In my view, there is a line to be drawn somewhere. Perhaps you see no line but I do see one.

But line or no line, I like a world where people judge us based on how we present ourselves and I think that's where we differ in our opinions.

Last edited:
No. Not at all. You missed my point. I said what I did and the reason I did it. I wear a suit daily because of the nature of my business so wearing a suit is commonplace for me. When I do things outside of the office, I judge the activity and dress appropriately.

You can wear whatever you want to go for a test drive in a $100k plus vehicle -- that's fine by me. But you said you "definitely don't dress the part as someone who could afford a Tesla. It sucks that we live in a world like this" and I replied with some examples of why I don't think it sucks we live in a world where people judge based on looks, and I asked for more judging based on looks (i.e. profiling).

I'm also not against the policy of "no shoes, no shirt, no service" or the fact that you can't wear whatever you want to eat in most 5 star restaurants, but if you asked me if Tesla should have the same policy and if you're saying that I am saying...

I would say "no" -- that would be a bad policy for Tesla. It's good for 5 star restaurants though. In my view, there is a line to be drawn somewhere. Perhaps you see no line but I do see one.

But line or no line, I like a world where people judge us based on how we present ourselves and I think that's where we differ in our opinions.
Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

Reactions: Canuck
Why doesn't Tesla just charge $100 for a test drive? It would weed out a lot of BS.

Regarding clothing....seriously? This is 2016. I literally have to go buy something for my friends' wedding this summer. Didn't have any problems buying my Tesla. Ordered it online and picked it up wearing jeans and a hoodie.

I would say my friends making 200k+/year (demographic that can go out and buy a Tesla) dress worse than those making 40-100k. When I see someone in a suite the last thing that goes through my mind is "that individual is successful and or has money." Unfortunately I know too many BSers that wear suites.

Maybe it is a generational thing.

Why doesn't Tesla just charge $100 for a test drive? It would weed out a lot of BS.

Regarding clothing....seriously? This is 2016. I literally have to go buy something for my friends' wedding this summer. Didn't have any problems buying my Tesla. Ordered it online and picked it up wearing jeans and a hoodie.

I would say my friends making 200k+/year (demographic that can go out and buy a Tesla) dress worse than those making 40-100k. When I see someone in a suite the last thing that goes through my mind is "that individual is successful and or has money." Unfortunately I know too many BSers that wear suites.

Maybe it is a generational thing.
Charging for a test drive would limit their market and sales. Lots of people would balk at that.

When I first drove a Model S, I never in my wildest dreams thought I could afford one. And here I am only a few years later, 2 weeks away from my Model X delivery. Had I been asked for $100 a few years ago, I wouldn't have test drove the MS and Tesla wouldn't be getting $150k from me next month...

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric