Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ruined my brand new M3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up the car less than a week ago. I did something really stupid and have ruined an otherwise happy experience in my life. I tried to put a dash mount phone holder with suction and sticky bottom. It wasn't in a good spot so I decided to remove it and try it in another area. To my horror not only had I left a permanent mark and discoloration but also deformed that part of the dash due to the suction pressure. I don't know if it's color transfer or removed some finishing off the dash. I tried to use water to get it off and it seems pretty permanent. I am pretty upset at myself and don't know what to do. If there is anybody who has managed to fix this or might have suggestions, I would very much appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I will live with it and one day have it replaced which right now is too cost prohibitive for me

Attachments

• 20200914_201708.jpg
    20200914_201708.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 20200914_195305.jpg
    20200914_195305.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 291
Don’t get to caught up over it. You’re probably the only one that would even notice it. You can add a bobble doll there or something.

BTW ProClip is my favorite mount. BUT be careful, I installed mine wrong and deformed the padded siding of the console.

Anything on the dash looked cheesy to me. And took away the clean model 3 look.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Thank you so much for your input guys. I really appreciate it.

Try some 303 protectant. Some silicon may have permeated into the surface. The chemicals in the 303 may mask it. Some good hot days in the sun may relax the deformation.

Ah ok. I will give that a shot. Going to try in a small spot to see what it does. Is exposure to sun probably the best way to get out the silicon that might have bled on there or is there any thing that gets that or other types of stains out of plastic/rubber type materials?

Don’t get to caught up over it. You’re probably the only one that would even notice it. You can add a bobble doll there or something.

BTW ProClip is my favorite mount. BUT be careful, I installed mine wrong and deformed the padded siding of the console.

Anything on the dash looked cheesy to me. And took away the clean model 3 look.

Ya I agree. That was part of the reason why i decided to take it off. I did debate removing the dash mount and putting it on the back of the touchscreen. Figured it would be safe on a metal surface but I didn't want to further cause anymore marks. I might give pro clips a shot. But for now I am just trying to do as little damage to the car as possible. ;);)

You could try a hairdryer to warm up the spot and see if it relaxes. Just move it around and try not to focus on one spot for too long. Don't use a heat gun, they get too hot and don't get too close with the hairdryer. What you want to do is evenly warm the area up

Oh that is a good suggestion or maybe one of these hot days will naturally heat it more than a blow dryer. Maybe that is how it will eventually come out. But I should get to it sooner rather than later before the dimples become even more permanent.

The more you mess with it the more likely you’ll make it worse. Leave it be. My guess is it will fade in time with sun and age.

This.... Don’t try to fix it with anything aggressive. If you can be a little patient, the suction marks should eventually disappear with the natural heat from sun exposure. Sounds like you had/used the suction mount for less than one week. So, I can’t see it causing permanent damage in that short of a timeframe. If you don’t want to wait, then apply some gentle heat (like a hair dryer on its lowest temp setting & not too close) to the area to accelerate the plastic relaxation process. Gently applying some plastic cleaner/conditioner may also help the appearance.

I’m probably a few levels higher than you in terms of being picky/OCD about my vehicle. :) So, I know how you feel. Be patient and good luck!!

Last edited:
Tesla dash material are junk, some people have damaged them just by wiping them. I had mine replaced once already for bubbles. No idea why they use such cheap materials. Even the trim on the car is cheap plastic that likely will not last long. I would leave it alone for a bit and not treat it.

I agree with you guys. I think I will take it slow. While I was googling to find some answers I did come across people butchering the dash with cleaning products so I won't mess with it once it been in the sun for a while. If not then I will try 303 in a small area.

The main reason I wanted to use the dash mount was for the waze app.

I did that exact same thing to wifes car. It did eventually go away, however did persist for a few months.

I had resigned to ot being there, so hopefully after some time yours will also sort itself!

I would NOT recommened trying to remove it.