TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rumble strip sound

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RealSnurf, Dec 20, 2015.

1. RealSnurf

RealSnurf Member

Hi All!

New member: I have had my P90DL for a bit over a week. I love the car. Absolutely amazing.

Every once in a while the car will make a sound from the front that sounds like i'm driving over a weak rumble strip. It lasts for 0.5 to 1s or so. It doesn't happen under acceleration, just under weak regen.

It starts and stops suddenly. It's fairly faint. I think i can feel it through the steering as well. I drive the car not in range mode and with ludicrous on all the time.

Normal?

2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

What you're describing sounds like the Lane Departure Warning feature. If the car thinks you are veering outside the boundaries of your lane, it will make three quick vibrations that you'll feel through the steering column, much like you'd feel if you drove over a rumble strip or "Botts' Dots" in the road.

As the manual notes, Lane Departure Warning isn't always accurate and "you may experience unnecessary or invalid warnings" in various situations. When it starts to become annoying, it can be turned off under Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Lane Assist.

Of course, it might be something else entirely, but I'm thinking it's this.

And congratulations on your new P90DL, and first post! :smile:

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

What thecloud said... If you change lanes without using your turn signal, this will be triggered.

• Informative x 1
  4. Kosmo

Kosmo Member

It is the lane departure warning. In my opinion it is too sensitive, particularly for city or neighborhood driving. You can turn it off.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

as others have noted it is the lane departure warning you are feeling/hearing. this feature can be turned off. fwiw, I like it and I leave it on.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I get falses all the time, even when I am no where near a lane marker. Sealed cracks on the road will set it off.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I wrote to Tesla, requesting a lower sensitivity option for this, started a poll, and even made a video. (The video is in the next to last post, on the fourth page of the thread.) Pretty sure a lot of the people who voted "no" in the poll were confusing lane departure warning with blind spot warning.

Lane Departure Warning Sensitivity Options Poll

10. RealSnurf

RealSnurf Member

Turned off lane departure and haven't heard/felt the rumble since. Thanks everyone!

11. Aqua

Aqua Member

A friend of mine was just remarking earlier today how with a car this quiet, you hear every rattle and noise. Glad you were able to resolve this one!

12. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Noticed you said you wrote to Tesla requesting a lower sensitivity option.

On my refreshed Model S, I feel like I can BARELY notice the vibration in the steering wheel when lane departure is activated. Is that normal? I think it should have a strong vibration.

I don't even get any warning chimes, etc.

13. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

That's because it doesn't vibrate the wheel. It's only a sound.

14. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

According to the manual:

Lane Departure Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is off, you may feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. These warnings are active only when Model S is traveling over approximately 45 mph (70 km/h).

15. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Ok, but based on empirical evidence that doesn't happen.

16. paperjohn

paperjohn New Member

Lane departure rumble works. It is exactly what happened while driving yesterday. Some times it went off in inadvertently perhaps because of a crack in the road but other times we tested it, purposely pulled over the line and the lane departure rubble sounded and I could feel it in the wheel. I am new to Tesla and am glad my car is not broken, just doing what it is supposed to do.

17. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Man so sorry that sucks. Let us know how much the repairs cost.

18. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

I'll feel it in the wheel, but it is very subtle. I think GlmnAlyAirCar only uses AP and doesn't keep his hands on the wheel (or maybe AP just does a better job of keeping the lane) :)

19. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

And thus California Telsa drivers should be very aware of it since there seems to be a law against using turn signals here under any circumstances.