TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[Rumor] Crash testing complete -- MX is the highest rated in class

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BerTX, Sep 3, 2015.

1. BerTX

BerTX Member

This is one of those unsubstantiated rumors, heard from a Tesla employee who heard it from another, etc.

The Model X Crash Testing is complete and it got the highest possible rating in all categories, making it the highest rated vehicle in its class.

No broken test apparatus story like the MS had, but apparently they had a problem with the rollover test.

It wouldn't.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good to hear. I was honestly a tad worried about that windshield.

3. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

I wonder how the dual motor does vs just rear wheel drive. I'd think that the front motor reduces the crumple zone somewhat. If rumors are true, then my fears are unfounded. I should note that I expect MX to be five star all around, just like MS

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I won't be at all surprised when this one ends up being true.

5. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

The automatic falcon-wing rectifier mechanism engaged every time and put the MX back on its wheels.

I can't help but think of these in when someone says "MX rollover test":
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.21.51 AM.png

6. kf93

kf93 Member

the front motor doesn't reduce the crumple zone enough to make a difference. it's in-line with the axle and still well behind and below where an engine is in a ICE vehicle. With a full set of airbags and the great front crumple zone this isn't any suprise. The offset test is probably where most cars have the problems with engine intrusion into the passenger compartment.

7. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

I haven't gone through every vehicle the government has ever tested, but since there are many ICE sedans that don't have a 5 star roll over rating (meaning they roll), I bet there isn't a CUV/SUV other than the model X with a 5 star roll over rating. Center of gravity just too high on an ICE.

8. flar

flar Member

I just did a quick trip through the 2011-present ratings on safercar.gov and the only one was the 2014 BMW 328i sportwagon (listed with the SUVs). It's easy to see how a station wagon could resist rollovers, but it didn't get 5 stars for frontal collision since the driver position only got 4 stars on that test.

2014 BMW 328I Xdrive SW AWD | Safercar -- NHTSA