Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Crash testing complete -- MX is the highest rated in class

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
This is one of those unsubstantiated rumors, heard from a Tesla employee who heard it from another, etc.

The Model X Crash Testing is complete and it got the highest possible rating in all categories, making it the highest rated vehicle in its class.

No broken test apparatus story like the MS had, but apparently they had a problem with the rollover test.

It wouldn't.

This is one of those unsubstantiated rumors, heard from a Tesla employee who heard it from another, etc.

The Model X Crash Testing is complete and it got the highest possible rating in all categories, making it the highest rated vehicle in its class.

No broken test apparatus story like the MS had, but apparently they had a problem with the rollover test.

It wouldn't.

Good to hear. I was honestly a tad worried about that windshield.

but apparently they had a problem with the rollover test.
The automatic falcon-wing rectifier mechanism engaged every time and put the MX back on its wheels.

I can't help but think of these in when someone says "MX rollover test":
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.21.51 AM.png

I wonder how the dual motor does vs just rear wheel drive. I'd think that the front motor reduces the crumple zone somewhat. If rumors are true, then my fears are unfounded. I should note that I expect MX to be five star all around, just like MS
the front motor doesn't reduce the crumple zone enough to make a difference. it's in-line with the axle and still well behind and below where an engine is in a ICE vehicle. With a full set of airbags and the great front crumple zone this isn't any suprise. The offset test is probably where most cars have the problems with engine intrusion into the passenger compartment.

I haven't gone through every vehicle the government has ever tested, but since there are many ICE sedans that don't have a 5 star roll over rating (meaning they roll), I bet there isn't a CUV/SUV other than the model X with a 5 star roll over rating. Center of gravity just too high on an ICE.

I haven't gone through every vehicle the government has ever tested, but since there are many ICE sedans that don't have a 5 star roll over rating (meaning they roll), I bet there isn't a CUV/SUV other than the model X with a 5 star roll over rating. Center of gravity just too high on an ICE.

I just did a quick trip through the 2011-present ratings on safercar.gov and the only one was the 2014 BMW 328i sportwagon (listed with the SUVs). It's easy to see how a station wagon could resist rollovers, but it didn't get 5 stars for frontal collision since the driver position only got 4 stars on that test.

2014 BMW 328I Xdrive SW AWD | Safercar -- NHTSA