Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Electric BMW 4 Series GT Coming to Take on Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course BMW want to sell all the EVs it makes. I believe that the sales they take will be from ICE not TSLA.

Sure, maybe. If the person has a choice they would probably choose the better car. But if there lease is up and they need a car and want to go electric with decent range and styling, the model 3 might have an 18 month waiting list. I'm sure Tesla will accelerate there ability to meet market demands but they can only do so much. Someone putting in a reservation today in Germany won't take delivery for 18 months. Wrap your head around that. Maybe they look at the BMW, maybe not.

Sure, maybe. If the person has a choice they would probably choose the better car. But if there lease is up and they need a car and want to go electric with decent range and styling, the model 3 might have an 18 month waiting list. I'm sure Tesla will accelerate there ability to meet market demands but they can only do so much. Someone putting in a reservation today in Germany won't take delivery for 18 months. Wrap your head around that. Maybe they look at the BMW, maybe not.

As with everything, time will tell.

This is great news. If not for Tesla, I'd still be in my (5th) BMW. I expect this will be excellent competition for the TMS, TM3 and BMW ICEs. We had an ActiveE (BMW 1 series with engine and gas tank replaced with electric motor and 100 mile range battery). It was super. The critical thing for EVs is widespread adoption--we will all benefit if BMW, GM and others are able to field competitive vehicles.

BMW actually has a few key advantages over Tesla incl. in house carbon fiber fab, battery cooling tech, and importantly: driver focus.

BMW does't have any advantages over Tesla.

Their carbon fibre reinforced plastic technology doesn't offer cost competitive advantages over aluminum. It is just a talking point.

BMW doesn't have superior battery cooling tech.

And they stopped being a driver focused company about 15 years ago. They sell luxury cars. If you want the ICE sports car of the class, be it compact sedans or full size sedans, you get a Cadillac( yes, Cadillac has crappy interiors vs the Germans). BMW is just living off its reputation earned in the 70's and 80's.

It is the same type of "advantage" as selling diesel cars,having dealerships,and cutting in advertisers with 2% of their margins.

Not to me as a consumer it isn't. If some company can sell me a compelling large-battery luxury EV (that is not a million dollars a pop two seater sports car), that would be something I can not currently buy from anywhere. Tesla cars are barely premium vehicles, they are definitely not luxury cars. Instead of becoming better at this, Tesla has actually continued to become worse.

BMW aside, this is actually one of the most compelling reasons I am seriously looking at the likes of Jaguar I-Pace and Audi e-tron quattro next. I am not impressed by the comforts Tesla is building. My Model X is barely adequate (don't get me wrong, I do like it overall) and since its making Tesla has already removed bunch of stuff, making new Model Xs even less in this regards.

Just saying like it is. Tesla has many advantages, but luxury "coach making" is an area where they definitely don't hold the advantage. They have other advantages that are and can be compelling reasons to buy, of course. But not that one, BMW and its ilk have the luxury car advantage. It takes 3 seconds inside a fully equipped 7 Series to know the difference.