Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RUMOR: GM to license TM tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Tesla Pops"... yeah right, I think the typical daily fluctuation is larger than the so-called "pop".

This rumor plus a few bucks will buy you a coffee...

Just my > 2 cents.

There was a straight vertical from $100 to $103 between 1:50p and 2:05p, which is first when the rumor came out. On an otherwise flat day.

That's not a normal movement for TSLA daily fluctuations.

If GM was "smart" they would license Teslas technology, I fully expect a "NIH" attitude from GM (Not Invented Here), so no, I would think h e double hockey sticks would freeze over before we see this. As an investor, great, but I wouldn't bet on it, even a little.

Probably nothing to this.

But if GM is interested in Tesla batteries, the pack that Tesla would pitch them would likely be a relative of the Gen III pack because of the development time required. Think Model S/Rav4, only Gen III/Malibu EV. GM is going to have a huge ZEV quota in 2017, and they need saleable EV's to fill it. And Tesla is likely still going to have a price advantage in 2017.

So, probably not true, but it's basically a good idea, and something GM might need to do.

Now with the battery swapping, I was thinking how easy it would be for automakers to sell EVs if they buy from Tesla. The technology is done, they would just create their own designs. Sales people could say "look, it's a GM EV that works off of Tesla's Supercharging network and guess what? You can swap your battery in less time than filling a tank of gas" I would think this would help spread the EV adoption a lot quicker than years and years of automakers putting out crappy versions of EVs and not being able to sell them as well as Tesla.

Now with the battery swapping, I was thinking how easy it would be for automakers to sell EVs if they buy from Tesla. The technology is done, they would just create their own designs. Sales people could say "look, it's a GM EV that works off of Tesla's Supercharging network and guess what? You can swap your battery in less time than filling a tank of gas" I would think this would help spread the EV adoption a lot quicker than years and years of automakers putting out crappy versions of EVs and not being able to sell them as well as Tesla.

Licensing their technology has always been part of Teslas plan, they are fully aware they don't have the manufacturing capacity to make much of a dent toward electrification of the fleet (Elons stated goal). They have been positioning the company to the advantage of this licensing model for a long time, and profit from it (the buildout of the SuperCharger network and swapping are 2 examples). It's probably not at the point of happening quite yet, but it will happen, eventually. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated :) (with respect to the Borg)