Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Heated Steering Wheel and Bioweapon Defense Mode Coming for 2021 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems a little aggressive. Rechargeable heated gloves? I survived many a winters in the DC area without a heated steering wheel. Different strokes...

He would never survive our mid-west or any inland Canadian winters...

There are people who are more sensitive to heat/cold than others due to circulation and or other health issues. I had a nephropathy condition in my feet a few years back where my feet were freezing at normal indoor room temps. I would throw a heating pad on them for some relief from the cold and even thought they were sweating when I touched them with my hands.. they were still not really warm enough. Please be considerate of others regarding issues that may be health related or beyond their control. Be grateful you are healthy and have no need for heated gloves...

This seems a little aggressive. Rechargeable heated gloves? I survived many a winters in the DC area without a heated steering wheel. Different strokes...
Yes, a bit over the top but then I remember that time when it had snowed overnight about 8 inches and the temperature the next morning was hovering about at about 7F. I had my ski gloves on (I could not find my ski mittens), it was still brutal trying to operate the snow blower.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Yes, a bit over the top but then I remember that time when it had snowed overnight about 8 inches and the temperature the next morning was hovering about at about 7F. I had my ski gloves on (I could not find my ski mittens), it was still brutal trying to operate the snow blower.
I respect your ingenuity and looking for a solve to no heated steering wheel in Model Y instead of complaining.

Hopefully, Elon's promised holiday software update will enable a heated steering wheel for the 2021 Model Y and Model 3. If that happens, maybe you can return the gloves.:)

Reactions: Frank N. Stein
So you survived in the South without a heated steering wheel. Yes DC is the South.

You know the difference between 90° and 30°. That 60° difference is slightly noticeable right? Well the difference between 30° and -30° is also 60° and it is just as noticeable.

There are many places to get a lot colder than DC.

Same here, including living in PG County area of DC for many years without heated gloves.

But then again, I also survived childhood with zero car seat and literally standing up in the front bench seat of an old Mercury that had lap belts and zero airbags.

Evolution...

SBut then again, I also survived childhood with zero car seat and literally standing up in the front bench seat of an old Mercury that had lap belts and zero airbags.

Evolution...
You probably ran with scissors, rode your bike miles from home and were forced to mow the lawn too.. like many of us who have somehow survived to tell the tale :D. By today's standards we were practically daredevils in everyday living.

Nowadays, people (in Tesla's anyway) survive 100mph crashes escaping with little or no injuries. Try that in the old Merc... like you said.. Evolution!

So you survived in the South without a heated steering wheel. Yes DC is the South.

You know the difference between 90° and 30°. That 60° difference is slightly noticeable right? Well the difference between 30° and -30° is also 60° and it is just as noticeable.

There are many places to get a lot colder than DC.
I'm very aware of where Washington, D.C. is situated geographically, but here you are assuming where I have and haven't lived. I've lived in Boston, Colorado and spent some time in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan among other places so I'm also very aware of what cold is and drastic swings in temperatures. And guess what? I've also survived in those places without a heating steering wheel. jcanoe lives in Maryland, so that's why the comment was narrowly focused on Maryland. Make sense?

Does biodefense just mean it circulates its own air through a HEPA filter? How is this different than just pressing the recirculate button on any car and just happening to have a HEPA filter?

As for the heated wheel, I wonder if the hardware is present in the metal scroll wheel steering wheel or is another hardware update yet to come probably around 7 seater time.

In a model S, bio weapons defense mode means the fan pulls air from outside through the HEPA at the highest fan setting. That in theory pressurizes the cabin so air will not leak in other places.

The S (and I assume X but have not checked) has the HEPA filter in the air flow from outside. It is NOT in the recirculating air flow path.

The 3 (and I assume Y) have the air filter in the recirculating loop. The filters are much smaller so they are not HEPA or they would be too restrictive.

I'm very aware of where Washington, D.C. is situated geographically, but here you are assuming where I have and haven't lived. I've lived in Boston, Colorado and spent some time in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan among other places so I'm also very aware of what cold is and drastic swings in temperatures. And guess what? I've also survived in those places without a heating steering wheel. jcanoe lives in Maryland, so that's why the comment was narrowly focused on Maryland. Make sense?

Not really. Point was....things evolve. (as should people). Just because one CAN "survive" without a new-er form of tech (heated gloves), doesnt mean another person shouldn't be able to enjoy the benefit..of newly created tech (heated gloves).

Reactions: jsmay311
I had this exact thought! Why would they modify the steering wheel twice in a short period of time. I posted this over in the Model 3 forum to see if they have any data points: Heated Steering Wheel? Indicated by Metallic Scroll Wheels?

I wondered this, too. I’m surprised someone hasn’t made a YouTube steering wheel teardown video yet, after the rumor, to confirm or deny this. There are already such videos for the older M3 steering wheel (below). Any metal scroll wheel owners want to a little detective work? :D

I’d be curious about the gloves. Wife has Raynaud syndrome - Wikipedia Have to add to the Xmas list.
I received the Clheatky heated gloves today, one day earlier than Amazon had indicated. The Clheatky gloves appear to be well made. The gloves are like ski gloves. They are long but slip on and off the hand easily. The inside of the glove has a very soft lining. The battery pack adds a little weight to the glove, not noticeable when wearing. The Clheatky gloves are currently offered only in black, in sizes Large and Extra Large. I measured my hand before ordering and the Large size fits my hand well. The glove fingers are about 5/8" inch longer than my fingers. This may be so that you can wear the gloves if you have long fingernails.

I have not yet charged the batteries, just plugged up the batteries inside each glove and turned on the heat. There are 3 levels of heat as indicated by the color of the power button: Red (High), White (Medium) and Blue (Low). You can of course wear the gloves without turning on the heating circuit. Rated run time is 4 hours on High (131F/55C - 140F/60C), 6 hours on Medium (113F/45C - 131F/55C) and 8 hours on Low (104F/40C). When I put on the gloves and turned on the heating function, on High, I could feel the gloves starting to get warm within the first minute. The power/function button is located on the back of each glove and can be controlled while wearing the gloves.

The Clheatly gloves come with a USB charging cable with a double ended connector so you charge both of the lithium-polymer (Li-Po) batteries at the same time. Each Li-Po battery is rated at 4000 mAh/14.8Wh, Input is 4.2V DC/2000mA (Max), Output Power (Max) is 7.4W. Resistance load is 10 - 100 ohm. The instruction pamphlet does not state how long it takes to fully charge the batteries. The battery has to be unplugged from the glove to be able to plug in the charging cable into the battery pack. The manual does not say but I believe that the batteries should be removed from the gloves for charging. The instructions state that the Li-Po battery should be charged every 3 months and stored at room temperature in a dry environment. There is no stated warranty on the Clheatky gloves or the battery. There is no phone number to call for support, only an email: <[email protected]>.

The flat portion of the tip of the thumb and the tip of the index finger of each glove has a small patch of PU (polyurethane?) material that looks like synthetic leather sewn into place. The purpose of the PU material is so that the gloves can be worn when using electronic touch screens. I tried wearing the Clheatky gloves while interacting with the touch screen on the Model Y. The gloves work as advertised provided you press on the screen with the flat portion of the tip of the thumb or index finger. I was able to activate the bottom row of screen buttons on the Model Y screen but I could not get the screen to respond if I pressed within any of the Model Y settings. Note that I have the AO matte 9H screen protector installed on the screen of my Model Y. The AO screen protector may have interfered with accessing the touch screen while wearing the gloves. I do have PIN to drive set up in my Model Y so I will need to briefly remove the right glove to enter the PIN unless I decide to disable PIN to drive for winter driving while wearing gloves, any gloves. Except for entering the PIN at the start of each drive I don't need to interact with the touch screen as I prefer to use the steering wheel controls and the Tesla voice commands whenever possible.

Guaranteed, now that I have purchased heated gloves, Tesla will shortly announce a heated steering wheel for the Model 3, Model Y. Count on it.

Last edited:
I received the Clheatky heated gloves today, one day earlier than Amazon had indicated. The Clheatky gloves appear to be well made. The gloves are like ski gloves. They are long but slip on and off the hand easily. The inside of the glove has a very soft lining. The battery pack adds a little weight to the glove, not noticeable when wearing. The Clheatky gloves are currently offered only in black, in sizes Large and Extra Large. I measured my hand before ordering and the Large size fits my hand well. The glove fingers are about 5/8" inch longer than my fingers. This may be so that you can wear the gloves if you have long fingernails.

I have not yet charged the batteries, just plugged up the batteries inside each glove and turned on the heat. There are 3 levels of heat as indicated by the color of the power button: Red (High), White (Medium) and Blue (Low). You can of course wear the gloves without turning on the heating circuit. Rated run time is 4 hours on High (131F/55C - 140F/60C), 6 hours on Medium (113F/45C - 131F/55C) and 8 hours on Low (104F/40C). When I put on the gloves and turned on the heating function, on High, I could feel the gloves starting to get warm within the first minute. The power/function button is located on the back of each glove and can be controlled while wearing the gloves.

The Clheatly gloves come with a USB charging cable with a double ended connector so you charge both of the lithium-polymer (Li-Po) batteries at the same time. Each Li-Po battery is rated at 4000 mAh/14.8Wh, Input is 4.2V DC/2000mA (Max), Output Power (Max) is 7.4W. Resistance load is 10 - 100 ohm. The instruction pamphlet does not state how long it takes to fully charge the batteries. The battery has to be unplugged from the glove to be able to plug in the charging cable into the battery pack. The manual does not say but I believe that the batteries should be removed from the gloves for charging. The instructions state that the Li-Po battery should be charged every 3 months and stored at room temperature in a dry environment. There is no stated warranty on the Clheatky gloves or the battery. There is no phone number to call for support, only an email: <[email protected]>.

The flat portion of the tip of the thumb and the tip of the index finger of each glove has a small patch of PU (polyurethane?) material that looks like synthetic leather sewn into place. The purpose of the PU material is so that the gloves can be worn when using electronic touch screens. I tried wearing the Clheatky gloves while interacting with the touch screen on the Model Y. The gloves work as advertised provided you press on the screen with the flat portion of the tip of the thumb or index finger. I was able to activate the bottom row of screen buttons on the Model Y screen but I could not get the screen to respond if I pressed within any of the Model Y settings. Note that I have the AO matte 9H screen protector installed on the screen of my Model Y. The AO screen protector may have interfered with accessing the touch screen while wearing the gloves. I do have PIN to drive set up in my Model Y so I will need to briefly remove the right glove to enter the PIN unless I decide to disable PIN to drive for winter driving while wearing gloves, any gloves. Except for entering the PIN at the start of each drive I don't need to interact with the touch screen as I prefer to use the steering wheel controls and the Tesla voice commands whenever possible.

Guaranteed, now that I have purchased heated gloves, Tesla will shortly announce a heated steering wheel for the Model 3, Model Y. Count on it.

Apologies for the blank post above, I can’t figure out how to delete it. But I wanted to thank jcanoe for the review as well. I also have Reynaud and have been pretty obsessed over the heated steering wheel issue (I have an aftermarket cover on my current car, but it’sa pain because the wire gets twisted when I turn the wheel and it direct heat up evenly. Before that, I used a sheepskin cover and gloves. Heated gloves that work with a capacitive touchscreen would make the lack of a heated steering wheel bearable for me.

Reactions: brkaus