Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Higher capacity battery to have over 300 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3: new picture of interface shows range could go up to 300 miles

Last night, we posted a series of new shots of Tesla Model 3 release candidates spotted at the San Mateo Supercharger yesterday.

One of the pictures showed the user interface while the vehicle is Supercharging and after some deduction, it shows that the Model 3 could have a range of over 300 miles.

After zooming in and making a pixel count on the battery pack graphic, it shows that the state of charge is just about 30% and it is displaying a range of 95 miles (152 km).

It would mean that the range could easily reach over 300 miles (483 km) once fully charged.

It’s not a perfect way to estimate the range of the vehicle, but it’s the best we got so far. Tesla advertised the range of the base version of the Model 3 at “more than 215 miles”, but that’s for the standard battery pack.

Another, slightly larger battery pack estimated at 70 to 75 kWh of capacity is also expected to be made available and that particular Model 3 release candidate is likely equipped with that option.

When Tesla was about to first unveil the Model 3 in March 2016, we reported that they were aiming for the higher-end version to have 300 miles of range.

Later on, we reported on a Model 3 mule being tested with a battery pack listed at 70 kWh and we calculated that depending on the efficiency, a pack of that size could likely push the Model 3’s range over 300 miles,

How do we even know those are rated miles and not ideal miles?

Inasmuch as there is likely no official EPA rating yet, these "rated" miles are probably calibrated to the range testing that Tesla has performed with their Model 3 RC fleet so far.

If you buy into the theory that this photo op was a "deliberate leak" on Tesla's part, that suggests to me that they are now confident enough with their rated-range calculations to make them public (rather than keep them hidden under a jacket or car-cover).

They are going off a diagram?..do the math. 50 mins remaining to charge at 169 mi/hr + 95 mi current charge. Even with fluctuating charge rates, thats not going to equal 300 miles.

Errors:

1.) This is not a "diagram" it's a screen shot of the GUI. Picky, but shows you're not very precise
2.) The fluctuations CAN be huge
3.) The charge time remaining is only to the desired level (looks to be about 85%)
4.) Measuring pixels in the past has worked great and is probably pretty accurate here. I measured and got 304. Someone else on reddit got 305 with the same method. Now whether that's ideal or rated is a question we don't know, but I would think 300 is a special number they would want to tackle for PR reasons

With the current firmware? How? I have amps and volts when AC charging but only kW when DC charging, and I don't see a setting to change that.
Well, now that you ask, I'll have to say that I haven't tried toggling it in a while, so I hesitate to assert that, given you seem to have a different experience.

It used to be that way, however. I'll try and remember to double-check next time I'm supercharging...

You really want to bet that? A kWhr is a kWhr no matter how it's packaged. That's like saying a pound of feathers weighs less than a pound of lead. The 2170 cell format is more energy dense for sure, but I think this picture shows the high capacity variant of the Model 3. Probably 75kWhr
... But a gallon of water weighs less than a gallon of gold.
A new cell being more energy dense does allow a boost in range by the mere fact that it's lighter weight.

This is in addition to the Model 3 already being lighter, smaller, and having a lower coefficient of drag.

As far as range is concerned, mi / kWh does not equal mi / kWh all the time, it depends on all the other factors.

If you took a Model S and changed nothing but the cell type in the battery to achieve the exact same capacity then you'd get better range. It's not going to be a dramatic improvement, but it will be measurable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrien
By my calculations, that graphic only indicates a charge to 90% of 247 miles (implying a max range of 270 miles).

But even if I'm wrong, what's the business plan to release a Model 3 with 300+ miles of range, besting everything Tesla offers except the 100D Model S? That will cannibalize sales to an unbelievable degree, unless you REALLY want a large luxury sedan or an SUV.

More likely a standard battery with 100% range of 230-240 miles and an upgraded battery in the 270 mile range. That's still plenty for every day use and road trips via supercharger network.

Tesla only offer 4 models of S now, and the 100D and P100D both exceed the 305 mile range of the 75 Model 3. Yes, the Model S75 is going to see massive sales losses to the Model 3. Tesla already knows this but the volume of Model 3's will so far outstrip the volume of Model S 75's they will not care.
I'll bet they just let the S75 go away at some point and All Model S and X will come with a 100 kwh Pack. Further differentiate the 2 models.

But even if I'm wrong, what's the business plan to release a Model 3 with 300+ miles of range, besting everything Tesla offers except the 100D Model S? That will cannibalize sales to an unbelievable degree, unless you REALLY want a large luxury sedan or an SUV.

If they don't do it someone else will.
The Chevy Bolt achieved pretty good range & it's got awful aerodynamics & shorter wheelbase.
300 miles is straightforward on a 'mass market' car

Reactions: insaneoctane