Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Hybrid Power Train

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously though, maybe a motor which can switch between AC Induction and Switched Reluctance operating modes?

I think I remember reading Remy was working on a EV application Switched Reluctance motor at one point, before they got folded back into GM.

I thought the Draco thrusters were going to be saved for the next roadster.

Here is the link to one of the patents from earlier this year.
Electric Motor Using Multiple Reference Frames For Flux Angle
I'm feeling a lot dumber from trying to read that. I'm thinking something simpler like AC induction in the back and Flintstones car power up front. Elon did say he wanted to make it simpler.

flintstones-car-free-clipart-1.jpg

What would be the point of this? Aren't EV motors already really simple, long-lasting, and >90% efficiency?

Greater than 90% at peak, yes. The point of this would be to shave off some of those remaining losses, and maybe get 95% efficient instead.

There's not as much opportunity here as in other places, but if the cost differential isn't excessive, every little bit helps...

I thought the Draco thrusters were going to be saved for the next roadster.

Here is the link to one of the patents from earlier this year.
Electric Motor Using Multiple Reference Frames For Flux Angle

For those that consider the above TLDR, in essence, the patent describes a motor that can hibernate for various periods, including fractions of a second, when torque is not necessary, which also causes the inverter to draw nothing during those moments. Several references in here to increasing efficiency and range in electric vehicles via this technology. The methods that enable this without passive magnetic forces causing resistance require modern microprocessor control, and are quite complex, hence the patent.

For those that consider the above TLDR, in essence, the patent describes a motor that can hibernate for various periods, including fractions of a second, when torque is not necessary, which also causes the inverter to draw nothing during those moments. Several references in here to increasing efficiency and range in electric vehicles via this technology. The methods that enable this without passive magnetic forces causing resistance require modern microprocessor control, and are quite complex, hence the patent.

Keep in mind this patent was filed shortly after the introduction of dual motors so there's nothing new here.