Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor Mill: Upcoming 500-Mile Range For Tesla Model S, 400 For Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are all you folks going that needs 500 miles of range?

At 65mph, that’s nearly 8 straight hours of driving. Is there a store that sells a bladder fluid to stomach solid conversion device?
I've seen these on the ground at more than one Supercharger.
s-l640.jpg

At 65mph, that’s nearly 8 straight hours of driving. Is there a store that sells a bladder fluid to stomach solid conversion device?
Hahaha very funny, and if it was actually 500 miles of range, I'd agree with you, but as the poster above you pointed out, us living in colder climates see our range nearly halve in the winter. I live in the warmest part of Canada, and even still my SR+ gets about 230km in the winter versus the rated 400km. I've even gone as low as 210km once. So if you were into road tripping in cold weather, I could see the appeal of a 120kWh pack!

Reactions: E Dizzle
373 miles on current Raven (100kWh) x 1.2 doesn’t make 500, it’s just short of 450.
So either they’re putting the 120 pack and a PM motor in the rear also, or doing something else to improve the efficiency along with the larger pack.

Or this is just Fake Tesla News.

500 at 45mph epa is more likely. That translates to 400 at 75. If you never towed a trailer, or driven into 90mph headwinds in Utah, and seen that kw/m redline >900w/m. Or driven in an area with deep snow. That “drive really slow to reach your destination” alert pops up. In fact this past summer my 100X caused my first range anxiety in summer. That double hvac with temps over 110F drained the battery just as fast as -20F temps.

You seem to miss the fact that many Tesla drivers live in cold environments, use ski racks, and don't drive 65

I think you missed the fact I was just making a joke.

Im a 60D and 75D Model X owner who lives an hour away from half a dozen ski resorts and tows regularly. I’ve done a single day round trip with a trailer from Eastern PA/Central NJ area to Rochester NY and back. So I’m EXTREMELY familiar with what 900wh/mi consumption does with sporadic superchargers. I also do it often enough to know how to get it down to 500wh/mi if needed.

The reality is, all cars lose range in the cold. It’s just less noticeable in an ICE vehicle because it’s already so inefficient. 500 miles would blow most gas vehicles away and starts giving diesels a run for their money. Even with the super long range of diesels, most people have a need to eat, sleep, and use the restrooms. We can all certainly push it but unless you’re a commercial driver the average is about a stop every 4-5 hours.

Even in an ICE vehicle I needed one stop from Eastern PA to Cincinnati. Pittsburg was about my bladder limit which is about 280 miles from me and 4.5 hours. That means I’d be able to maintain more than 500wh/mi and my bladder would need to stop before my car does. Thats roughly an average of 85-90mph in a Model X without a trailer. With a trailer it’ll depend on the trailer. It’ll be tough but doable.

With 500 miles we’re getting into luxury territory and out of the necessity territory.

I think you missed the fact I was just making a joke.

Im a 60D and 75D Model X owner who lives an hour away from half a dozen ski resorts and tows regularly. I’ve done a single day round trip with a trailer from Eastern PA/Central NJ area to Rochester NY and back. So I’m EXTREMELY familiar with what 900wh/mi consumption does with sporadic superchargers. I also do it often enough to know how to get it down to 500wh/mi if needed.

The reality is, all cars lose range in the cold. It’s just less noticeable in an ICE vehicle because it’s already so inefficient. 500 miles would blow most gas vehicles away and starts giving diesels a run for their money. Even with the super long range of diesels, most people have a need to eat, sleep, and use the restrooms. We can all certainly push it but unless you’re a commercial driver the average is about a stop every 4-5 hours.

Even in an ICE vehicle I needed one stop from Eastern PA to Cincinnati. Pittsburg was about my bladder limit which is about 280 miles from me and 4.5 hours. That means I’d be able to maintain more than 500wh/mi and my bladder would need to stop before my car does. Thats roughly an average of 85-90mph in a Model X without a trailer. With a trailer it’ll depend on the trailer. It’ll be tough but doable.

With 500 miles we’re getting into luxury territory and out of the necessity territory.
If you're a guy and you can roll down the window, you can eliminate the bladder stop.

• Funny
Reactions: Yinn

500 miles full pack. Take 10% off the top for charging to 90%. Now your down to 450. Now take 20% off the bottom because you generally don’t want to routinely go below 20%. Now your down to 350 miles of real range. In the summer, no rain, no AC. Now take a drive at 0F in winter (or rain) and cut that 350 miles in half. Now your down to 175 miles. And don’t forget to factor in some degradation.

I’ll take 500 miles range in a heartbeat.

Take 10% off the top for charging to 90%. Now take 20% off the bottom because you generally don’t want to routinely go below 20%.

This is like saying I need a 30 gallon gas tank because I "don't want" to top it off or go under a quarter tank. Full-blown silly.

I need a car with 500 miles of range because I refuse to use 200 miles of its range. o_O

Reactions: VT_EE and KJD
Hahaha very funny, and if it was actually 500 miles of range, I'd agree with you, but as the poster above you pointed out, us living in colder climates see our range nearly halve in the winter. I live in the warmest part of Canada, and even still my SR+ gets about 230km in the winter versus the rated 400km. I've even gone as low as 210km once. So if you were into road tripping in cold weather, I could see the appeal of a 120kWh pack!
I wouldn't even be surprised if a styrofoam plate underneath the battery pack in the winter could extend the range by quite a bit in the winter, right now it loses it's warmth too easy.

No it isn’t... gas tanks don’t degrade

They certainly do and I’ve replaced some. Older cars more than newer ones. But I’m nick picking since that degradation doesn’t have anything to do with range and just leads to a fuel leak.

Your concerns are around keeping the battery healthy. What does happen with gas cars is sludge can build in the tank, which does reduce range. Cars with in tank fuel pumps also generally rely on a filled tank to do double duty to cool the pump. It is generally recommended not to run those tanks down for too long as then the pump won’t cool as well. But I don’t recall the last time someone talked about keeping their gas tank above 1/2 tank to prevent their fuel pump from overheating or getting clogged by junk.

All of your concerns are valid, but let’s not pretend they don’t affect ICE vehicles too. Tow in the cold with a diesel engine and you’re not going to get 25mpg. You’re going to get 14mpg. Which means your range has dropped by 44%. Sounds pretty darn familiar to doing the same in an X.

Sure a bigger gas tank/battery would be nice, but the real issue is charging infrastructure and speed. I don’t want a 1000 mile battery. It’d be heavy, I rarely go 1000 miles straight, and I’d constantly pay the weight penalty of it. What I want is a quicker fill rate. I want to go from empty to full on a battery pack within 15 minutes - regardless of pack size.

Even with the current infrastructure, solving the charging speed issue would make even a 60D ok. Go back to an ICE, there are quite a bit of cars with small fuel tanks. imagine if it took an hour to fill up the gas tank. How much of a pain would that be?