Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor Mill: Upcoming 500-Mile Range For Tesla Model S, 400 For Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just supporting 250kW the same as the Model 3 would be good progress. Can V3 supercharging stations support anything higher than 250kW?
V3 is 250kW max. However, the Model 3 can only maintain 250kW for a few minutes (V3 is actually only 5 minutes faster than unpaired V2).
A larger pack size using the same chemistry would charge much faster on V3 in real world usage.

uhm, that defies the laws of conservation of energy.
It's a machine that splits up water or air into cold and warm water/air.
So if you got like 100 liter of water of 20 degrees Celcius it splits it up like 50 liter of 30 degrees Celcius and 50 liter of 10 degrees Celcius. After that it throws away the one you don't need and uses the one you do need.
It's very efficient and you can often use it both to heat up your house, as well as to cool down your house (like an airco).
The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't work below 0 degrees Celcius and because of that struggles to work efficient in the winter, then you'll have to use a (usually) build in electric boiler which uses a lot of electricity.

It's a machine that splits up water or air into cold and warm water/air.
So if you got like 100 liter of water of 20 degrees Celcius it splits it up like 50 liter of 30 degrees Celcius and 50 liter of 10 degrees Celcius. After that it throws away the one you don't need and uses the one you do need.
It's very efficient and you can often use it both to heat up your house, as well as to cool down your house (like an airco).
The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't work below 0 degrees Celcius and because of that struggles to work efficient in the winter, then you'll have to use a (usually) build in electric boiler which uses a lot of electricity.

There are refrigerants that allow heat pumps to work at -25F/-32C, Mitsubishi makes one, known as a "mini-split." People are confused when I tell them about the H20 heater, the thing to realize is that it collects/extracts heat, rather than produces heat.

500 mile range would motivate me to trade my '17S 75D. I seldom venture far from home, but when I do it seems it is always to some little coastal town without a destination charger or supercharger. Sure, I can get there but I can not drive around sight seeing and then hope to get back to the last supercharger I used on the way in.

500 mile range would motivate me to trade my '17S 75D. I seldom venture far from home, but when I do it seems it is always to some little coastal town without a destination charger or supercharger. Sure, I can get there but I can not drive around sight seeing and then hope to get back to the last supercharger I used on the way in.

Just make sure there's a dock somewhere - usually 250VAC 50AMP, like these that I used in Chincoteague Island back with my first Model S in early 2012/2013, or at the KOA Campground. PlugShare was your only option back then, once you left the major metro areas..
iu

Last edited:
a 500 mi pack would certainly be my choice IF I had to make it again. At our age, stopping & getting out of the car to move around every three hours works great for us. I suspect the cost of this rumored "long distance screamer" will allow us to remain happy with the S we currently drive.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
This is like saying I need a 30 gallon gas tank because I "don't want" to top it off or go under a quarter tank. Full-blown silly.

I need a car with 500 miles of range because I refuse to use 200 miles of its range. o_O

It's alway the california folks that don't get it. Tell you what... feel free to not buy a 500 mile rang battery if/when it comes out. With my real life experience in more remote, cold and less well SC serviced area of the world, I'll sign up tomorrow.

One other circumstance to think of. If you're a traveling business person, sometimes you need to day in/out trips to a customer where there are no chargers. Then you need to cut your useable range in half because the trip is two way on one charge. I've got a bunch of customers that I simply can't visit in summer in my 100D for this reason. And on a cold, snowy Canadian winter day, pfft... not even close. You lose 50% range due to the weather. And then you've got a cold soak at the far end that loses you even more.

Finally, what about reducing load on superchargers? That should be significant even in Calif. Every person who can make a trip without SCing means another open spot for somebody else. If every EV had a range of 500 miles, you'd have a lot empty supercharger stalls.

Unless you've got a heat pump water heater (never heard of one), then no it's not. :). You might want to take another look at those specs.

At my last house, I had a Daikin Altherma electric heat pump that heated water - both for domestic hot water to store in a tank, and to run through the floors for radiant heating. It had a COP of 4.0. Because it was for the whole house and did double-duty and there was no backup, it was a pretty big one...smaller ones had better COPs.

Reactions: sandpiper
It's alway the california folks that don't get it. Tell you what... feel free to not buy a 500 mile rang battery if/when it comes out. With my real life experience in more remote, cold and less well SC serviced area of the world, I'll sign up tomorrow.

One other circumstance to think of. If you're a traveling business person, sometimes you need to day in/out trips to a customer where there are no chargers. Then you need to cut your useable range in half because the trip is two way on one charge. I've got a bunch of customers that I simply can't visit in summer in my 100D for this reason. And on a cold, snowy Canadian winter day, pfft... not even close. You lose 50% range due to the weather. And then you've got a cold soak at the far end that loses you even more.

Finally, what about reducing load on superchargers? That should be significant even in Calif. Every person who can make a trip without SCing means another open spot for somebody else. If every EV had a range of 500 miles, you'd have a lot empty supercharger stalls.
All fair points, which have nothing to do with the point I was responding to (refusing to use the top 10 or bottom 20% of the battery when necessary).

Reactions: sandpiper
Unless you've got a heat pump water heater (never heard of one), then no it's not. :). You might want to take another look at those specs.

I have a heat pump water heater - German model Stiebel Eltron - 80 gallons. I also have a boiler for my radiant heat. In the Winter I lower my heat pump water heater to @ 90 degrees to preheat going into the indirect heater for the boiler. In the summer (actually @April to end of October) I turn off the boiler and only use the heat pump water heater turning it up to @130 degrees.

At my last house, I had a Daikin Altherma electric heat pump that heated water - both for domestic hot water to store in a tank, and to run through the floors for radiant heating. It had a COP of 4.0. Because it was for the whole house and did double-duty and there was no backup, it was a pretty big one...smaller ones had better COPs.

Cool! I didn't know these were available. I just learned something.

Sure 500 miles. Well except what they don't tell you is 250 miles in the winter.
Yes I own a Model S, and I get 1/2 the mileage when it's cold, the battery just
is less efficient and the heater uses WAY too much electricity for some reason.
A tiny 500 W space heater would heat that cabin in a minute and not waste
the constant battery drain of Tesla's super innefficient heater.

500W? Before i got my Model 3, i used aftermarket cabin heater @ 1400W, and in -15c it took 3 hours to get it luke warm at best.

I live in Norway btw

I do have a heat pump water heater. I knew I would get these responses that I’m wrong or something....maybe too much academia. You can drive and ICE to a gas station with one gallon in the tank and leave with ten.

Truthfully/practically though, the h20 heater is better than 350% efficient, because in the winter it ejects the resulting cold air to the outside, but in the summer the cold air stays inside and supplements/eliminates the AC.

As another Ontario resident, I'd be all over the hypothetical 500 mile range Tesla just because of the range loss in the winters even though I don't drive a lot on a daily basis. I just want that option, plain and simple.

Reactions: Evoforce and msm859