Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[rumor] Model X revealed at IAA 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pvogel said:
I believe they have a booth reserved for an 'SUV' at Concours de Elegance in Pebble Beach this weekend...
It will be the prototype.

Seems plausible.

With this and the Germany rumor (as well as the rumor that Tesla might be building demo cars), I wonder if Tesla has been booking sites for a bit of marketing onslaught post-announcement.

It may be that some of those they will miss (like perhaps this Pebble Beach), if original booking was too optimistic and the announcement can't be made before the event, and may need to show something else instead there - like the old prototype they supposedly already hid away once because it was no longer representative... but I wonder if there is some truth to these event rumors that are circulating. Maybe, maybe not.

I know it is a common opinion on TMC Tesla won't market the Model X due to the queue, but I think it isn't impossible they might immediately market it at events and stores and to press at least (not talking ads, of course).

I believe they have a booth reserved for an 'SUV' at Concours de Elegance in Pebble Beach this weekend...

Ummm, Tesla/Elon have already stated that:

a) The car won't be revealed until deliveries start.
b) Deliveries will start in September.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be the prototype.

C'mon Bonnie, don't be a wet blanket. :tongue:

I've seen pictures of a Tesla tent being set up at Pebble Beach with their usual Model S Autopilot graphics. It seems more probable they'd just be marketing Model S as they don't really have anything to gain by showing the obsolete Model X prototype yet again this late in the game.

I've seen pictures of a Tesla tent being set up at Pebble Beach with their usual Model S Autopilot graphics. It seems more probable they'd just be marketing Model S as they don't really have anything to gain by showing the obsolete Model X prototype yet again this late in the game.

Fair point and thanks for the observation.

One idea is that some of these events they might have used for Model X, had it been launched a bit earlier... they may not always know when scheduling originally, what exactly they will use the event for - if the scheduling is months in advance.

Looks like there will be no Model X at the Tesla Motors booth at IAA International Auto Show in Frankfurt next week.
German car magazine Auto Bild (German, Google translate):
Wann wir es hierzulande zu sehen bekommen, ist noch nicht klar: Auf der IAA in Frankfurt (17. bis 27. September 2015) wird er definitiv nicht zu sehen sein. Die Auslieferung der ersten Exemplare soll in den USA Ende September beginnen.
Google translate:
When do we get to see it in this country, is still not clear: At the IAA in Frankfurt (September 17 to 27 2015), he will definitely not be seen. The delivery of the first units should begin in the US in late September.

I could imagine they show off their latest version of the Model S, the P90DL.
And TBH I think this is spectecular enough;)
Maybe they'll mention their progressive SuperCharger roll out in Europe during their scheduled speech.

BTW BMW has a in door race track showing their new 7 series in motion and about 1000 emplyoees working at their booth during the trade fair. Other car manufacturers putting a lot of effort into their booths as well. Would be difficult for Tesla to get heard during that concert. I think they are still better off doing their events in Cali.

I'll be at IAA next week, anybody else going to Frankfurt?

About an hour ago BMW CEO Harald Krüger collapsed at the press conference at IAA in Frankfurt, hope it's nothing serious.
BMW boss collapses at IAA
56779207.jpg
(Photo: picture alliance / dpa)
The new BMW boss Harald Krüger has collapsed at a press conference at the IAA auto show. He was taken from the stage. The Press Conference of BMW at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt was canceled.
Born in 1965, Kruger is BMW CEO since May.
2015-09-15-BMWChefIAA.jpg

(link: Google translate, Google translate)

Last edited:
Porsche showed a concept car for an all electric BEV sedan at IAA in Frankfurt (video in German).
Most important quotes from interview with Porsche CEO Matthias Müller:
We have very high technical requirements for driving experience, technology, top speed, range, rechargetime for this vehicle. The goal is very ambitious. It'll take quite some time till the technology for such an ambitious vehicle will be ready to start series volume production. Maybe the technology is ready at the end of this decade.
No comment on price ("premium price like you are used to from Porsche").
No comment on production estimates/numbers, waiting for feed back during IAA.
Sceptic on door opening mechanism and interieur design to be introduced in series volume production vehicle.
BTW Porsche slowed production volume down a bit due to China issues.