Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor - New MS 100D and P100D Price Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The power has always been there - the limiting factor in power is the speed control hardware, algorithms and contactors. The S85 could burn rubber much earlier than it was allowed (while in the hands of the engineers and overriding the algorithms).
While I would agree that there are numerous "hold back" factors to power distribution, I beg to differ with you as to "the power always being there". With increased demand on power comes consumption/depletion, therefore what limits power is battery size and not engineers.

Otherwise, according to your postulation, we'd all be running on the DarkStar's 56kW battery.
So while we'd have respectable Range (approximately 245 miles) on it's 56 kWh 375 V lithium-ion battery we'd be shorting ourselves nearly 300 hp as the 56 kW could only put out 288 hp, vs the MS P100D and nearly 100 miles of additional range.

Tesla in consistently adding a bigger battery that is more powerful, keeps enthusiasts happy and expecting even more, and Wall Street analysts baffled, and I personally like it that way.

You see, Moore's Law continues to apply, i.e., dramatically increase in power, and decrease in relative cost, at an exponential pace.