TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[Rumor] Nose cone will be body colored on the X

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by throwawayaccount, Jun 16, 2015.

1. throwawayaccount

I'm a longtime lurker and came across this information on the nose cone. Like most on this forum I am going a bit crazy for model x info so I thought I'd share this morsel of information. I can't say how I learned it other than to say that I've been able to take advantage of living in the Bay Area. The other thing I thought was interesting was that the Model S definitely will be having the same style.

2. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Same style as what? Same as always or same body-colored nosecone?

3. mdevp

mdevp Member

Don't like the sound of this.

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

I take it to mean Model X would receive a Tesla design facelift of sorts and Model S would follow with its own facelift.

I have suggested this before, including the idea Model S would follow suit, and there was the September leakster who claimed nose cone would be gone - and Tesla's main designer saying nosecone is the one thing they'd change in Model X:

Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

This latest claim, which of course we can't verify in any way, could work with those rumors and speculations - and also with what we've seen of the mules.

5. AnxietyRanger

I have for some months already toyed with the idea that, based on the shape of the Model X mules that suggest a nose-cone shaped area of the bumper is there, but not the T strip above it... what if that bumper is entirely body coloured - so there is no chrome trim around the cone.

More like this (although this bad Photoshop of mine forgoes any shaping in the front bumper):

attachment.php?attachmentid=76594&d=1427839968.jpg

Now imagine that area above, under the Tesla T strip, to be shaped like a nosecone but not trimmed around it... Could that be one possible direction or Tesla? Also something they might more easily "facelift" on the Model S, considering there are genuine service reasons for still having a removable cone? Shape it a bit like a part of the bumper?

Instead of like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=22549&d=1369496153.jpg

In the thread Model X mules - is the nose cone gone? I also toyed with what is missing on the mules (hastily and badly I might add):

attachment.php?attachmentid=82363&d=1432832876.jpg

6. throwawayaccount

That the nose cone on the s will also be body colored.

7. AziwA

AziwA Member

Throwaway- any indication as to when this will happen for the S?

8. de704

de704 XP268

#8 de704, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Silliness!!

It's a prototype! why are people acting like this is the first time Tesla has done this?!:confused:
    lead5-tesla-model-s-development.jpg
    2012-tesla-model-s_100337609_m.jpg
    18457389311096449149.jpg

9. timf

timf Member

AR's design with just the black cross piece and no chrome outline looks too awkward. I think it needs some sort of defining and cohesive shape. I've seen a few Model S with nose cones wrapped in body color and I wasn't a huge fan of that either. Hopefully Tesla can come up with an attractive design that maintains some texture but eliminates contrasting colors.

10. throwawayaccount

I'm not as sure on the timing but I think recently placed orders will be getting this change.

11. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

#11 vandacca, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Weird, I only saw the first image in the original post, but I see 3 in the reply. However, that first image looks really sharp, I love it! What was Tesla thinking with going with that ugly nose cone? For one, I hope that its gone or at the very least, the same colour/material as the bumper. Otherwise, I'm going to get it wrapped.

---Updated---

Wouldn't it be interesting if Tesla simply added an option to have a matching nose cone? Say, an extra $1000 to get a nose cone that matches the bumper. I would pay for that option.

12. AziwA

AziwA Member

Very interesting. I take it you know more than you are saying ;) but feel free to tell us more! I delayed the delivery of my ordered 85D until November exactly for this reason - hoping something new will come in the next few months

13. AnxietyRanger

de704:

Good pictures, thank you for adding them to the mix. That is the kind of stuff an old-timer can bring to the table and I'm happy someone finally has. We have far too little old-timers taking part in the analysis. More is always welcome.

I don't think we're acting this way because of the mule shots, though. Like I said: September leakster claimed nosecone would be gone (the leakster got some credibility by posting a CAD that got pulled by Tesla, but that CAD didn't show that area though), Tesla head designer said the nosecone is the one thing he'd change on the Model S, and now "throwawayaccount" pops out of the woodwork with claims that the nosecone will be body colored. Finally, the nose cone area is the most camouflaged area on the Model X mules, suggesting some changes there might be hiding underneath.

Now, even if we assume the September leakster and the OP are accurate, they might still merely report on the mule(s) they've seen - not necessarily be privy to the final shipping configuration. But it isn't just because of the mules have black noses that we talk this. The mules are somewhat compatible with this line of thinking we're having, but they are not proof of anything of course.

This image, though, (just add Tesla logo stripe) suggests to me Tesla might try something like this - a chome-trimless nose cone - on the Model X as well, if they have been unhappy with the Model S nose design for whatever reason.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84391&d=1434548207.jpg

Again, thank you for sharing the reference Model S prototype photos. MUCH appreciated.

There is another older thread with more on this: Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

- - - Updated - - -

I would expect they will add shape, even if they get rid of the chrome surrounding that area. My Photoshop's obviously are overly simple.

14. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Its entirely possible that the September leakster and OP are the same person...the September leakster may have learned from his/her original mistake.

15. AnxietyRanger

That crossed my mind as well. For some reason the style perhaps felt different to me, though.

16. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Mod note: Updated thread title to say this a rumor. I guess that won't become fact until we see it. ;)

17. throwawayaccount

I don't mind at all. Only time will prove the validity of this information.

18. AnxietyRanger

19. AnxietyRanger

20. AziwA

AziwA Member

Very well done AR. Have you played with the idea of giving the nose cone some kind of outline? I.e similar to the Orange model s pics above with the nose cone with the same body colour but a subtle chrome outline?