TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by anxman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

My guess is that these lower 0-60 times have been definitely achieved by Tesla's own "test mules", but we, as owners will not be able to access them anytime soon.

We Roadster owners used to hear these rumours about faster 0-60 speeds frequently, and again, had no doubt they were true...but, whenever we asked if these were forthcoming to us anytime soon, the answer was always ...***crickets***

Hope I'm wrong though...:smile:

2. Bill D

Bill D Member

#62 Bill D, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    At Palm Beach last Sunday, my friend's P85D ran a series of 60 ft times in the 1.7's. The best P85D time that I saw was 1.65 sec. My P85 ran a series of 2.0's. Interestingly, a McLaren F1 that I raced against only ran a 60 ft time of 2.3 sec, which is the same as the S85's were running.

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I'm with Andrew on this one. And please don't forget: NORMAL mode with torque sleep for increased highway range!!

4. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

#64 Morristhecat, Jan 28, 2015
    As much as I would personally love this, without the advantage of dual drive and different gear ratios for each drive unit, this might be extremely unlikely. I suppose they could do something about not limiting the inverter, but again, unlikely.

5. mdevp

mdevp Member

#65 mdevp, Jan 28, 2015
    This compilation vid is really going viral, CNN , ABC , CNBC etc are posting it on their main websites. But to the OP's comment, I would rather see this bump to insane mode first b/c many people will have to redo those 0-60 P85D vs Ferrari/Hellcat/etc vids again. The P85D will stomp them even harder and that means more publicity and the public getting even more interested. Good for Tesla. :smile:

6. dennis

dennis P85D

If you read carefully, Tesla appears to be talking about two updates. The first one to raise the top speed to 155 "will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner)". It sounds like this will have to be specifically requested, as opposed to everyone getting it over the air. The separate "over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics" will improve high speed performance. Hopefully that upgrade will address the 50-80 mph performance of the car. Both of these updates are stated to be months away.

7. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I was just thinking yesterday that 3.2s is so retro, so 2014ish.. It has been a looong time - what, nearly 3 months? - since they released the 3.2s and they haven't announced anything better. And with this 2.8s rumor, now we are talking. :tongue:

8. CRASCH

CRASCH Member

IIRC It is about a month old though...

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Member

Great info! Is there a thread here on the subject?

10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

As Bill said earlier in this thread, 1.65 to 1.7 seconds was the normal 60 foot times for the PD. The only things I saw doing better were some highly modified Porsche 997TTS and Nissan GTRs which posted 1.57-9 second 60 foot times and were well into the 9s in the 1/4! The PD has more than enough at the bottom and hardly needs to launch any harder than it already does. Tesla just needs to give us access to that 460 KWs for just a tad bit longer :)

Oh, and the Teslas were spanking the MP4-12Cs in the 60 foot.

11. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

#71 jkliu47, Jan 28, 2015
    189 :tongue:

correction - 196 :tongue:

12. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Member

Amen to that! The closest character ICE motor I've experienced to the P85D is the AMG V12 TT, and while it was never available in AWD, the near silent 60-140 pull was impressive. I can imagine an unlocked D emulating that sensation.......

13. GenIIIBuyer

GenIIIBuyer Member

Just had thought of how Tesla could gradually unlock top-speed ability for new deliveries to minimize risk of drivers being unable to handle it. Similar to going up levels in video games.

I.e. Perform at least ten 0-60 runs at 3.2 in Insane mode before Ludicrous mode unlocked.

14. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Active Member

So we are assuming if they are still alive after 10 runs that they are OK to go faster? :smile:

15. Bill D

Bill D Member

Graphical representation of a 0.3 sec better 60 foot time:

2015-01-18 BD vs F1 600w.jpg

16. lolachampcar

Oh Bill, as a 12C owner I can tell you that hurts.......

17. Bill D

Bill D Member

Just imagine the hurt if I had a PD and an additional 0.3 sec.

18. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

How about a tesla fee per launch - price varies by performance requested. Gotta cover the additional drivetrain (warranty) stress. First car ever with in-app purchases.

19. lolachampcar

There is likely little to no stress.... Electric motors are real good about dialing up torque. It's when you wind up that rotational mass in an ICE and dump it on your drive train with a clutch that impulse loads go through the roof. I'm reasonably sure the change in 0-60 time comes from giving you that 460 KW a little longer (as in 30-60 mph).

20. Bill D

Bill D Member

I don't know which forum thread is worse and/or better for my D-dilemma, the thread about the pending firmware for "Torque Sleep" or this thread about the pending firmware for "Torque Awakened".:smile: