TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by anxman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If this is true, this just kicked things into an entirely new realm. Sub 3 seconds is serious stuff. Just talking with a Porsche Turbo S owner with a 2.6 second time but that car is 1,400 lbs lighter.

2. rlcordeiro

rlcordeiro Member

So should I replace my P85 with a Porsche Turbo S.

3. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

If this rumour ends up being true, I will have to sell my Tesla stock to be able to upgrade from my P85. Please be untrue or I will be irrational!!

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

That Turbo S may have better numbers but the real world availability of the MS' power is head and shoulders above the ICE competition.

From a safety standpoint, building a lot of kinetic energy in the 0-30 mph range is a lot more manageable than the 30-60 mph range. Sure, at the end of the process you are still going 60 mph thus have the same net kinetic energy but adding it quickly in the second half of the run significantly ups the required driver attention.

If Tesla does this, I think it was a very wise decision to do it in two bites :)

5. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

As a former 997 Turbo owner, I will say that the 60-80 range on the Porsche is significantly better, and when attempting 'tight' highway passing maneuvers, the extra performance on the Porsche made things much easier.

I hope Tesla does unlock some of the performance above 30mph.

0-30 is fun, but it's entirely artificial -- I very rarely need that amount of power at 0mph, but at 30-80mph, that's where it really matters.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I would agree that extra power to pass from 60-80 is important and very desirable... however, I think you under estimate the importance of 0-30 in real world driving...0-30 allows correction of "driver navigation errors" (which can be numerous)...

7. AutoExcited

AutoExcited Member

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the new quarter mile time possibilities in this thread! 10.?, sub 10?

Bought my wife the P85D a month ago and when she lets me drive, though rare ;), I can't get enough of the 0-60 acceleration, nor can my friends, had I been enterprising enough to film all of the launches with them in the car, I would have a compilation very similar to what is already going viral out there. Everyone loves it, have even had former sport bike junkies screaming at the top of their lungs because of the adrenaline hit! :)

Agreed with several people who already posted that this is more important for Tesla as a whole than improvements to auto-pilot and TACC, not that I don't want those things too. The news that they promised people 3.2 and released it and sold it like that, all along knowing they were going to send out a software update to get it into the sub 3 range and who knows what quarter mile times, to actually increase the value of their purchase but at the price of the original promised numbers is the ultimate hat trick on Tesla's part and will be all anyone who loves cars can talk about if it happens!

My guess is that this is part of the "power electronics update" that has been talked about before and officially announced, it will likely be one update that both improves the 30-60 time, shaving off the .4 seconds, and likely continuing that power draw to the governed top end, which I think could drop the quarter mile times down in the 10's, who knows, maybe lower? (I'm no drag race expert so I have no idea but remember a Tesla rep telling me that the trap speed was really, really low for a car with that much HP/Torque and the current 0-60 time)

I remember our DS saying a month ago that they had to limit the 0-60 on purpose, that it could do better, she didn't say why and I didn't think much of it until now other than maybe it was a safety thing for either car or driver, but maybe they've hammered out the testing as the OP indicated and this will all be coming together.

On a side note, I've been wondering why there aren't more car magazine reviews of this thing beyond the original motor trend review but have been thinking that maybe they're waiting on the promised updates to performance, both power electronic and top end speed (which I thought might only affect the quarter mile time), this revelation makes that theory more likely. Again, pure speculation but maybe Tesla is telling them to wait a month or however long until the true performance is released before all of the reviews and the official car comparisons matchup reviews happen? I guess it could also be because it's so new on the market, don't know much about this, but it's seemed weird to me that there aren't more reviews already given how awesome the car is.

A final comment, as others have mentioned, this also jives with the quick Torque fall off you see on the graph when the P85D was put on the Dyno, it falls off very quickly, maybe around 30 mph like others have mentioned and all they'd have to do is maintain a horizontal torque line for crazy, crazy performance, I can't imagine.

Exciting times for car lovers, just hoping that if this truly happens, that my wife lets me get behind the wheel! :)

8. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

Here are dragtimes graphs for good measure.
    Mustang Dyno:
    27143-2015-Tesla-Model-S-Dyno.jpg
    Street test:
    Tesla-P85D-Insane-vs-Sport-Mode-Graph.jpg

9. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Tweet from Elon

@elonmusk: Tesla P85D 0 to 60mph acceleration will improve by ~0.1 sec soon via over-the-air software update to inverter algorithm

Guess we are only getting 3.1 secs. :(

10. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Unless Elon thinks that 0.3 seconds is approximately 0.1 second, in sort of the same way he thinks 3 months is approximately 1 month. :biggrin:

11. eepic

eepic Supporting Member

Or maybe the first of many tweaks :cool:

12. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Maybe they'll give us a 0.1 second upgrade once every few months for the next few months? ;)

13. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Under promise, over deliver?

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It costs $50,000 more but an option.

15. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

16. anxman

anxman Member

#97 anxman, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Elon's tweet implies that this firmware improvement applies primarily to the rear motor. I still believe that the original rumor will pan out at some point. I think the .1s improvement is going to start rolling out tomorrow to select P85D customers along with the torque sleep.

17. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's interesting that the tweak will improve standard P85 0-60 times as well, though to a somewhat lesser extent (only 1 inverter to improve instead of 2?).

18. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

This is like rangegate all over again. In a few days, Elons tweets will be deleted. Then JB will post a nice lengthy blog on the Tesla website explaining 0-60mph testing and comparing the various Model S variants. Hopefully there will be a nice footnote about 2.8 seconds update being downloaded to the P85D fleet by the end of February 2015. ;)

19. RyanT

RyanT Member

It'd also be nice if this was applied to the 85D. It would make the decision on 85 vs 85D vs P85 easier.