Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bingo. I'm sure they could push it to 2.8s. The balance here is the effect that kind of extreme torque would have on the MTBF of your drive train. Since it's warranted for 8 years and unlimited miles the gearbox replacements in the future P85D cars could really cost them in the end.
Are you saying you suspect the rear motor will be less reliable than the front? ;)

Hold on. I'm embarrassed to have to ask this (although as a non-owner maybe I shouldn't be) but are P85Ds currently not even getting the full 691hp? Or are they just not all made available for launch?

Don't worry, just read the thread about this topic.

To get 691 HP the Tesla would need to hit 515KW during acceleration. Instead it peaks at 480Kw, giving it "only" ~643HP

Show me a single video anywhere where the needle ever hits 480 KW. It's always to the right of the 480 KW tick and given that meter is logarithmic, it's more like 430 KW.

Secondly, you would only get 691 shaft hp with 515KW if you got 100% conversion efficiency. The inverter is about 93% efficient and then the AC Induction motor is about 90% efficient after the inverter takes it's cut.

So it's going to be considerably less than 643 hp.

So 430*0.93*.9*1.341 = 482 hp.

Show me a single video anywhere where the needle ever hits 480 KW. It's always to the right of the 480 KW tick and given that meter is logarithmic, it's more like 430 KW.

Ok, here's a test for you all. Charge up to 100% and mash it several times. Instead of reading the output on the dash, you really ought to be recording power readings from the API. This takes the guesswork out of reading Tesla's logarithmic scale.

Secondly, you would only get 691 shaft hp with 515KW if you got 100% conversion efficiency. The inverter is about 93% efficient and then the AC Induction motor is about 90% efficient after the inverter takes it's cut.

So it's going to be considerably less than 643 hp.

So 430*0.93*.9*1.341 = 482 hp.

Now... lets throw in that the motor is an AC inductive load, and hence has a power factor below 1... so are we *SURE* the gage on the dash is actually KW load off battery pack, and not KVA off the motor leads (which would be artificially inflated)?

Now... lets throw in that the motor is an AC inductive load, and hence has a power factor below 1... so are we *SURE* the gage on the dash is actually KW load off battery pack, and not KVA off the motor leads (which would be artificially inflated)?

Well, for what it's worth, my gauge goes up a smidge when heat or AC is on and thr car is stopped. So that suggests load off the battery.

Here's some more wood for the fire.
I have a friend who is an engineer for Tesla. He told me some information about the 2015 model year Model S AWD. The performance version will feature dual motors with a combined output of 800 horsepower along with a 100kWh battery pack. He said that the performance version will be about 100Kg lighter than a normal Model S due to numerous weight saving improvements and a redesigned interior. Tesla's goal is for the AWD Model S Performance to hit 60mph in under 3.0 seconds which would put it in supercar territory. That's pretty much all I got out of the conversation, but it sounds like it should be pretty amazing!
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/248tcf/details_on_awd_model_s/

What ever happened to this "rumor" of possible 0-60 performance in 2.8 seconds? Was it indeed nothing more than rumor or is there a thought that it may still come along at some point? Also, I recall that the Tesla web site had some verbiage at one point saying something about the ability to request a software update in the near future that would make the car perform better than anyone outside Tesla would have thought possible. Did anything ever come of that, also?