Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks . . . so was the statement that there would be "the ability to request a software update in the near future that would make the car perform better than anyone outside Tesla would have thought possible" referring only to the acceleration bump to 3.1 seconds? Seems they were referring to something you would have to request vs. the acceleration bump that everyone got? (quotations are mine as I don't recall the exact wording that was used).

Thanks . . . so was the statement that there would be "the ability to request a software update in the near future that would make the car perform better than anyone outside Tesla would have thought possible" referring only to the acceleration bump to 3.1 seconds? Seems they were referring to something you would have to request vs. the acceleration bump that everyone got? (quotations are mine as I don't recall the exact wording that was used).

The exact wording is in a screenshot taken from the website here: Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s - Page 5

First of all, there was never anything in that language that said the upgrade had to be requested. Second, neither of the upgrades referred to in that blurb had anything to do with the decrease in 0-60 times. The first explicitly stated that it was increasing the top speed from 130 to 155. The second talked about improving P85D performance at high speed. It didn't talk about acceleration or 0-60 times.

It is possible that we have not yet received the second item mentioned.

Edit: Here is the screenshot:

P85D Top Speed Limited 2014-12-26.jpg

The exact wording is in a screenshot taken from the website here: Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s - Page 5

First of all, there was never anything in that language that said the upgrade had to be requested. Second, neither of the upgrades referred to in that blurb had anything to do with the decrease in 0-60 times. The first explicitly stated that it was increasing the top speed from 130 to 155. The second talked about improving P85D performance at high speed. It didn't talk about acceleration or 0-60 times.

It is possible that we have not yet received the second item mentioned.

Edit: Here is the screenshot:

View attachment 84376
Bingo - that is the reference I was remembering - thanks for finding this Andyw2100. I agree that it seems like the second part of what this references has not happened yet.

I thought there was an update recently, along with the top speed update that specifically stated high speed performance was improved on the p85d. I'm sure i read it in a screenshot someone posted here.

However owners did not report any tangible difference in performance in the real world.

I don't own a D, but would the lack of the 3.1 sec upgrade have something to do with the motors cooling system? Maybe the present one can't handle the energy output for the 3.1sec upgrade to occur? And I mean this for multiple back to back 0-60s like some may try. If this is true, then a mode where there is a "cooldown" timer present after a couple of 0-60 attempts. Just a thought.

It has already been upgraded to 3.1 hasn't it?

Yes, the 3.2 to 3.1 second 0-60 time update has taken place.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought there was an update recently, along with the top speed update that specifically stated high speed performance was improved on the p85d. I'm sure i read it in a screenshot someone posted here.

However owners did not report any tangible difference in performance in the real world.

That's not quite right.

You may be thinking of the change that came in the same firmware update as the decrease in 0-60 time. This is what the release notes for that update said:

"Insane mode is now more insane! Your car accelerates even faster when in insane mode, improving 0-to-60-mph performance in this mode from 3.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds. The accelerator pedal is also now more responsive in insane mode."

That would not seem to be the "high speed performance improvement" referenced in the note above.

Last edited:
Yes, the 3.2 to 3.1 second 0-60 time update has taken place.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not quite right.

You may be thinking of the change that came in the same firmware update as the decrease in 0-60 time. This is what the release notes for that update said:

"Insane mode is now more insane! Your car accelerates even faster when in insane mode, improving 0-to-60-mph performance in this mode from 3.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds. The accelerator pedal is also now more responsive in insane mode."

That would not seem to be the "high speed performance improvement" referenced in the note above.

Thanks Andy

What ever happened to this "rumor" of possible 0-60 performance in 2.8 seconds? Was it indeed nothing more than rumor or is there a thought that it may still come along at some point? Also, I recall that the Tesla web site had some verbiage at one point saying something about the ability to request a software update in the near future that would make the car perform better than anyone outside Tesla would have thought possible. Did anything ever come of that, also?

I wonder if the top model X will have faster 0-60 than the P85D

IMO, only if it has > 85kWh pack. And even then maybe not.

That said, regardless of how the S and X compare in launch quickness I'm very excited to see the X at the dragstrip and (if allowed) on the track.

I assume the S is heat constrained for power, but I don't know in which component. If those constraints have been pushed back in chassis improvements, the model X could be faster. But presumably the Model S would get those chassis improvements too. I do expect sub 3 seconds in the next two years. But maybe not as a software upgrade to current cars. Below the high two's the car would seem to be tire constrained. Plus whiplash constrained.

If they allow 3.1 second car software to be released, they must be running sub 3 second tests to take measurements. Their fastest time on stock hardware and test software would be interesting.

I assume the S is heat constrained for power, but I don't know in which component. If those constraints have been pushed back in chassis improvements, the model X could be faster. But presumably the Model S would get those chassis improvements too. I do expect sub 3 seconds in the next two years. But maybe not as a software upgrade to current cars. Below the high two's the car would seem to be tire constrained. Plus whiplash constrained.

If they allow 3.1 second car software to be released, they must be running sub 3 second tests to take measurements. Their fastest time on stock hardware and test software would be interesting.
Agreed, that's why a sub 3 sec mode should be created with a cooldown timer for heat problems. But obviously I don't know if there are other problems with sub3 times.