Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a Sport mode today??? Has anyone ever used it?

LOL!

I heard this rumor on October 10th, when I ordered my P85D. Except the Tesla rep said that he saw long strings of 0-60 runs between 2.7 and 2.75 seconds. Based on the inverter readings from my current P85D, I think this has to be true. My inverter gauge has never made it all the way up to 480kW at full throttle, and the promised 691 hp cannot be achieved until the inverters are providing 515 kW.

There may be a number of reasons Tesla has been holding back the power, including collecting data for risk management purposes. I think it's time to see what this beast can really do. Release the hounds!

Hello folks,

I'm happy to bring you a TMC exclusive rumor. According to my sources deep inside Tesla, a firmware update for the P85D will increase its 0-60 performance from 3.2s to 2.8s. I have not personally operated this P85D, but my sources have allegedly seen it in action and historically these sources have been accurate for Tesla rumors. Please take it with a grain of salt because I have not seen or operated this vehicle myself.

My fingers are crossed -- though, I'd rather see Active Blind Spot Detection and Autopilot features before this bump to the "Insane" mode.

/A

Did your sources say that Tesla will make this firmware available? or just that it's theoretically possible?

If this transpires, the headlines will be incredible for two reason:

-2.8s is just ludicrous and truly puts the P85D in the highest echelon of performance vehicles
-This performance increase was delievered via an over the air software update

I've also heard the 2.8 second rumor, but I don't think we will see it in production vehicles. My guess is 2.8 seconds was done when testing the maximum performance.

Kinda like with ordinary ICE cars. You can easily gain 10%-20% more HP than stock by simply tuning the computer controlling pressure, injection and more, but it comes at a cost of reliability and durability.

And after the whole drive unit ordeal… I just don't see it happening.

I've also heard the 2.8 second rumor, but I don't think we will see it in production vehicles. My guess is 2.8 seconds was done when testing the maximum performance.

Kinda like with ordinary ICE cars. You can easily gain 10%-20% more HP than stock by simply tuning the computer controlling pressure, injection and more, but it comes at a cost of reliability and durability.

And after the whole drive unit ordeal… I just don't see it happening.

Maybe they will limit Ludicrous mode like they do with Launch Control on the Nissan GT-R...

Or establish a "Ludicrous club" where a buyer needs to enlist into "drivers education course" and prove that he can handle the beast.
Same as if you go and buy a new ferrari, you get some official track time and training.
Than you are issued your 'personal' pin that unlocks that power
:)

Imagine the publicity.

If this is real, I imagine that it a "new insane" mode would improve the 30-60 mph range.
In other words, due to higher peak power the flat torque range could be maintained up to a higher speed.

newinsanekjaec.png

(red and blue are dragtimes.com V-Box measurements, yellow is my edit.)

Last edited: