Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This twitter exchange by Musk could be hinting that we will see a software upgrade enabling 2.8 as part of the mystery product launch April 30th. Would make sense... Telsa, the car company, has the media's attention about something apparently not car related... yet starts the conference off with a smaller car related update "oh btw, our car just got faster, now able to do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds..."

musk.jpg

And the warm up act for April 30 tweet has already been deleted.

Elon has a bad habit of posting items only to delete them later (likely after his marketing folks have had a few words with him.) Based on the multiple sources of this rumor and the tweet, I'm convinced that Tesla already has the P85D hitting 2.8s, and has for a long time. The delay is likely to insure that it won't increase wear and warranty costs.

Elon has a bad habit of posting items only to delete them later (likely after his marketing folks have had a few words with him.) Based on the multiple sources of this rumor and the tweet, I'm convinced that Tesla already has the P85D hitting 2.8s, and has for a long time. The delay is likely to insure that it won't increase wear and warranty costs.
Bingo. I'm sure they could push it to 2.8s. The balance here is the effect that kind of extreme torque would have on the MTBF of your drive train. Since it's warranted for 8 years and unlimited miles the gearbox replacements in the future P85D cars could really cost them in the end.