Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Price increase on April 16th for 100kwh Packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently just a rumor found on Reddit but having placed an order on Friday (4/7) for a P100D I'm nervous hearing two days later that a price increase is coming right after my order is to be confirmed. I've been convinced that once I finally commit and pull the trigger I'd be taking delivery just as a new update came out and miss the cutoff. I'd be willing to wait an extra week and possibly pay more if it means getting the latest battery pack available. Kinda nervous now.

Has anyone heard anything at all about changes coming to the 100 packs? 2170 cells maybe? Ugh.....

Model S and X 100 kWh price increase on April 16th • r/teslamotors

If you place and order along with a dep I highly doubt Tesla would increase your price.
Oh I know they wouldn't. Thing is that I'd pay more if the higher price means some new feature or new tech in the pack. Now I have myself thinking that with the 3 out soon with the 2170 cells in it there could be some logic to them putting the 2170 cells into the S and X to get some more real world data on the packs before they ramp up on the 3. Should be a fun few weeks of hand wringing for me. Hopefully, if there is a price increase, they explain why.

LOL welcome to the early stages of TOA, (Tesla order anxiety), it is debilitating until you get behind your wheel and then, nothing else matters. Keep yourself occupied and stay off message boards until delivery. ;)

I know, I know..... I'm not even an owner yet and I've been telling people to just order and never look back. Hard to practice what I preach though apparently haha.

You should still have a week of no-penalty cancellation after you place your order. If you cancel and re-order within that 4/16 window then you can just cancel your order if the announcement is good or keep your existing order if the announcement is just a price increase.

You should still have a week of no-penalty cancellation after you place your order. If you cancel and re-order within that 4/16 window then you can just cancel your order if the announcement is good or keep your existing order if the announcement is just a price increase.

Yeah I'm probably going to reach out to my OA and just let her know my concerns and see what my options are. My order is set to be confirmed 2 days before the rumored price increase. I'd rather not cancel and reorder but if it means a small assurance that I don't miss out on a possible update it would be worth it to me.

April 16th is the last day when - globally speaking - orders can be made and confirmed soon enough, for deliveries within Q2. Basically it is 16th + 14 days for international confirmation period = April 30th, last day of April, leaving two months to deliver those builds internationally for most destinations. While the U.S. confirmation window is a week, the international one is two weeks in many markets.

I can see Tesla using the demand lever to get more orders in that can be delivered within Q2.

It may or may not have anything to do with product changes. Of course some anticipated product changes include new media unit (possible if Model 3 is introducing new hardware there?), the much debated HUD (chances perhaps less after the Elon tweetstorm) as well as interior upgrades (perhaps hinted by the removal of ventilated seats and some old trim?), Model S auto-opening doors (if Model 3 has them as an option? maybe those sensors seen in the C pillar?)... as well as the 2170 cells, though those seem further away (100 kWh is still new)...

So, who knows. :)

Of course some anticipated product changes include new media unit (possible if Model 3 is introducing new hardware there?), the much debated HUD (chances perhaps less after the Elon tweetstorm) as well as interior upgrades (perhaps hinted by the removal of ventilated seats and some old trim?), Model S auto-opening doors (if Model 3 has them as an option? maybe those sensors seen in the C pillar?)... as well as the 2170 cells, though those seem further away (100 kWh is still new)...

I don't believe any of the above would come with the 100kw price increase -- thoughts below:
- new media unit -- Tesla only recently transitioned to PX2 and likely planned for concurrent media unit to save on volume and production costs. If they are changing it so soon after updating it shows a pretty big lack of foresight.
- I'd say HUD is dead in the water at this point judging by Elon's posts. It just doesn't make sense when all paths are pointing to automation.
- Interior Upgrades/Auto-open door: this only makes sense if the price increase was across the board since it's not exclusive to 100kw models. Actually, it would make MORE sense if the 100kw was the only one that didn't increase since it would be subsidized into the price (e.g. P-models having air suspension).
- Agreed, 2170 is still too far away -- I believe JB straubel has said before that Model 3 would be the first real test of the new battery tech and Tesla is still under contract to use up the rest of their old cells from Panasonic.

I don't believe any of the above would come with the 100kw price increase -- thoughts below:
- new media unit -- Tesla only recently transitioned to PX2 and likely planned for concurrent media unit to save on volume and production costs. If they are changing it so soon after updating it shows a pretty big lack of foresight.
- I'd say HUD is dead in the water at this point judging by Elon's posts. It just doesn't make sense when all paths are pointing to automation.
- Interior Upgrades/Auto-open door: this only makes sense if the price increase was across the board since it's not exclusive to 100kw models. Actually, it would make MORE sense if the 100kw was the only one that didn't increase since it would be subsidized into the price (e.g. P-models having air suspension).
- Agreed, 2170 is still too far away -- I believe JB straubel has said before that Model 3 would be the first real test of the new battery tech and Tesla is still under contract to use up the rest of their old cells from Panasonic.

Tesla and Panasonic signed a contract in 2014 that took the total to 2 billion cells. At 7,000 per car that would be 285,714 cars. I don't know where Tesla is right now in total cells purchased, but I could certainly see reasons for Tesla and Panasonic to want to move the higher-end S/X to 2170.

I'm pretty sure supercharger v3 is meant to produce stations that can charge 2 cars at full speed. that's a better return than increasing the speed of charging for one car beyond what we currently can do if you take into consideration battery degradation costs and the need to support current Teslas on the road.

I haven't seen any indication that 2170 has any improved capability to get more than 2C charge rates -- seems that that would be a pretty major improvement that Tesla would have mentioned in their reasoning to switch.

Based on Elon's tweets Supercharger V3 is definitely higher power (Tesla’s upcoming ‘Supercharger V3’ is the last piece of the EV adoption puzzle – and means more ZEV credits).

It could provide 135kW charging to more stalls but may also group more stalls together. For example stalls 1A, 1B and 1C where all of them can provide 135 kW charging at once but only one of them can get the new higher charging speeds. Supercharger V3 may require a new a new connector as I'm not sure the current Tesla connector can do 350+ kW.

I think the current pricing of 90D to 100D being a $3000 step is a bit weird, and the 100D price bump was inevitable unless the 90D was to be canceled (which is wasn't the case)

I am not convinced it has to line up with some hardware change though. As far as super chargers go, honestly I'd rather see every stall provide consistent charge rates over a new peak rate. Basically every road trip I take has some sort of reduced charge rate incident.

One thing I noticed was that Tesla was skipping 100D cars in the Model S tracker. Maybe they can't keep up with all the 100D orders now that everyone gets that instead of a 90D, so increasing the price might also get a few people to stick with the 90D.

Maybe they have to build a bit more 100kWh battery production capacity before they remove the 90, which many expect them to do. Unless they want to make the 100 battery a bit more exclusive and charge a premium and keep the 90D as good value option.

I was contacted by Tesla to encourage me to place my 100D order before the price increase on 100D in April. So it seems somewhat official. I had been discussing trading in my 90D but decided not to until AP2.0 was better than 1.0..... still waiting.

It was owner advisor who has helped me with 2 cars already that emailed me directly.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and ecarfan
I was contacted by Tesla to encourage me to place my 100D order before the price increase on 100D in April. So it seems somewhat official. I had been discussing trading in my 90D but decided not to until AP2.0 was better than 1.0..... still waiting.

It was owner advisor who has helped me with 2 cars already that emailed me directly.

I know you probably would have already said it if they told you but I have to ask anyway.... Did they happen to mention why there was an increase coming for just those models?

The rumors here is that all versions will get a price increase. I'm test driving a Model X later, so I will try to dig for more information. It may be that the 100 kWh packs are getting a price increase globally, but there will also be some adjustment for currency across the board here in Norway.