Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Shanghai-built Model Y to Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very sorry for our long suffering European Model Y fans who have watched Model Y's driving around for >1 year.

Giga Berlin has been delayed so there are rumors that Tesla will start exporting Model Y's from Shanghai to Europe. Hopefully this is real. I'm sure the Berlin designed and built MY will also be amazing and worth waiting for.

MIC vehicles are very high quality and I think many wish we could get them here.
A potential issue is that Berlin MY will have the new 4680 structural battery pack, whereas Shanghai is the old 2170 cells.

There were rumoured other changes to Berlin MY as well, including new paint (new colours perhaps?)... so if there are some Shanghai imports before Berlin opens they will likely be different spec to the ones that follow from Berlin, so a small odd ball fleet which might not be as popular.

The MIC (Made in China) RHD (Right Hand Drive) Model Y (SR, LR AWD, and P) can be ordered now in Honk Kong with delivery starting in September.

So I imagine that the UK will be getting RHD from China, unless Berlin start building them too,
but China been close to Japan, Autralia, Thailand... it would make more sense to have all the RHD build at the same location?

A potential issue is that Berlin MY will have the new 4680 structural battery pack, whereas Shanghai is the old 2170 cells.
Would also the MIC cars get additional import taxes?
If so, depending what are the new import taxes between UK and EU, building RHD cars for UK in Berlin might make sense then.

Would also the MIC cars get additional import taxes?
If so, depending what are the new import taxes between UK and EU, building RHD cars for UK in Berlin might make sense then.

Good question.

For Berlin, there might be some initial import tariffs with the MY to UK, as I understand the 4680 cells will initially originate from the USA, so there could be some import duties to the UK (as they are not an EU product, so could fall foul of country of origin requirements).

However once the Berlin cell factory is also up and running they should come across to the UK as EU products so tariff free.

As for China, I'm unsure if they trade with UK on WTO rate for cars (10%) or not, but some Model 3 imports to UK currently come from China, so I guess this is not a huge issue (compared to USA imports at least).

Berlin will seem the logical place for UK supply from a logistic and tax standpoint, as long as they can implement right hand drive construction efficiently.

For Republic of Ireland, as an EU member state and another Right hand drive country, Berlin of course also makes sense too.

It's official. MY finally available to order in Europe for deliveries in September. :)

That's ~18 months after it went into production in North America and ~6 months after China/Asia. This must have been frustrating, but the MY has enjoyed a lot of nice enhancements from the initial 2020 builds.

MY (MIC) should be up for consideration for any European EV buyer and Tesla is finally giving those customers another option. Those that want a Berlin-made car can wait until the factory is up and running and they'll likely get lower prices as there won't be the import tax.

It's a consumer's choice and Tesla is making an option available to Europeans now. It's a lot of money so I'm sure people will do their own research.

Some people will opt to wait for the Berlin-built model with 4680s. M3 has still been selling well in Europe so I imagine there's good demand for MIC MY with 2170s.

There were rumoured other changes to Berlin MY as well, including new paint (new colours perhaps?)... so if there are some Shanghai imports before Berlin opens they will likely be different spec to the ones that follow from Berlin, so a small odd ball fleet which might not be as popular.

Some people will opt to wait for the Berlin-built model with 4680s. M3 has still been selling well in Europe so I imagine there's good demand for MIC MY with 2170s
Think so, with USA having both 2170 MY (Fremont) and 4680 MY (Austin) my guess is that in the short term at least, Tesla will try and minimise any observable differences between the two variants.

Most customers of course wont realise the difference.... for me though, I'd hold off for the 4680 if I was ordering, just in case something (faster charging?) is software updated later.

I ordered my MY a few months back and got an email today that things are moving with the delivery. No dates yet, but when I called Tesla Netherlands today, they told me it would probably be August or September. Since I pre-ordered, the price is set (I think) so probably Tesla will eat any additional import taxes.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new vehicle.

Yes, you should get the reserve price before all of the increases. Hopefully you have that saved somewhere so you can check/confirm.

I ordered my MY a few months back and got an email today that things are moving with the delivery. No dates yet, but when I called Tesla Netherlands today, they told me it would probably be August or September. Since I pre-ordered, the price is set (I think) so probably Tesla will eat any additional import taxes.

I'd hold off for the 4680 if I was ordering, just in case something (faster charging?)
I'm not that convinced about this faster charging story. Tesla indeed showed a graphic pointing at a fast charge of their 4980......but compared to a cell of the same size without the tabless. if one follow the line back to the 2170 format, the speed of charge looks the same. so I don't expect 4680 to charge faster...its just that they should not charge slower as expected by their size :)

8,210 is a drop in the bucket, but it's a start. Deliveries should start soon.

MY deliveries have started.

Bjorn will starting testing one on Wednesday.

Very sorry for our long suffering European Model Y fans who have watched Model Y's driving around for >1 year.

Giga Berlin has been delayed so there are rumors that Tesla will start exporting Model Y's from Shanghai to Europe. Hopefully this is real. I'm sure the Berlin designed and built MY will also be amazing and worth waiting for.
First Model Y in Iceland has arrived :)

Attachments

• IMG_9867.jpg
    IMG_9867.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 34
Congrats to the new owner, maybe that's you! I think I read somewhere that Iceland loves Tesla vehicles on a per population basis so I'm glad Tesla didn't neglect their MY customers there. The new owner got a lot of great upgrades from the original launch and top-notch build quality. I'm sure he's going to be very happy with it.

It's a bucket list thing, but I've been meaning to visit Iceland for a long time. Everyone we've talked to absolutely loved it and said it's a must. Hopefully that'll happen soon. :)

First Model Y in Iceland has arrived :)

Reactions: ChrisE
Congrats to the new owner, maybe that's you! I think I read somewhere that Iceland loves Tesla vehicles on a per population basis so I'm glad Tesla didn't neglect their MY customers there. The new owner got a lot of great upgrades from the original launch and top-notch build quality. I'm sure he's going to be very happy with it.

It's a bucket list thing, but I've been meaning to visit Iceland for a long time. Everyone we've talked to absolutely loved it and said it's a must. Hopefully that'll happen soon. :)
Many thanks. That´s my son there. Almost as happy as myself ;). Yes Iceland has welcomed Tesla handsomely which is close to a sales record per capita. You should visit for sure. You´ll not be disappointed.

Reactions: mark95476