Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Significant Engineering Issues with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not surprised by the skepticism to my posting of this info, however the claims of me being a short are quite amusing. I mean, why would someone go only (no where else) to a forum of enthusiasts and with a mildly negative post in efforts to decrease stock price? That would be such a lame attempt. If I wanted to do that, I would have bots messaging this all over the place, making posts on Seeking Alpha, etc... Come on, you can do better than that!

90% of the car is software driven-patches and updates usually fix things. It won't be like a normal recall if something happens to be wrong.
This is one of the reasons Elon and Tesla are building it with simplicity. The more simple the less can go wrong.

True, though this was portrayed as a hardware issue that came from "simplifying" the components from the Model S/X. Currently a ten percent failure rate. My friend made it seem like it would have to be a hardware fix.

I am not surprised by the skepticism to my posting of this info, however the claims of me being a short are quite amusing. I mean, why would someone go only (no where else) to a forum of enthusiasts and with a mildly negative post in efforts to decrease stock price? That would be such a lame attempt. If I wanted to do that, I would have bots messaging this all over the place, making posts on Seeking Alpha, etc... Come on, you can do better than that!

The skepticism originates from the lack of information...

I am not surprised by the skepticism to my posting of this info, however the claims of me being a short are quite amusing. I mean, why would someone go only (no where else) to a forum of enthusiasts and with a mildly negative post in efforts to decrease stock price? That would be such a lame attempt. If I wanted to do that, I would have bots messaging this all over the place, making posts on Seeking Alpha, etc...

So you ADMIT that you are responsible for all the astroturfing that goes on here!

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
"I have a March 31 Model 3 reservation so trust me"

No, you guys should trust me instead of him. My brother is Elon and my 92 year old mom works on the production line installing the 300 pound DC motors, and my brother is a rocket scientist at SpaceX, and my sister owns Mustang Ranch whom provides sensual massages for all the Tesla executives. I got the inside scoop :D

True, though this was portrayed as a hardware issue that came from "simplifying" the components from the Model S/X. Currently a ten percent failure rate. My friend made it seem like it would have to be a hardware fix.
What'd be nice is a hint on what component exactly so we can make guesses as to how long a fix would take. We know it's not in a ICE, but that's still pretty broad. My guess is still the power electronics (inverter). A motor issue or a battery issue would be relatively trivial in comparison.

Scepticism is one thing. I am sceptical of @ZeApelido too.

Calling him "outed as short" is quite another. :)
I believe him, but sometimes his posts are a little lagging, for example the "insider information" he provided in February was public knowledge before he posted it. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because finding issues right now before launch is great news. A true short would want Tesla to miss the issue until it was in customers hands then be forced to issue a recall.

Regular, non-employee, customers probably won't see cars until mid/late August at the earliest.

What'd be nice is a hint on what component exactly so we can make guesses as to how long a fix would take. We know it's not in a ICE, but that's still pretty broad. My guess is still the power electronics (inverter). A motor issue or a battery issue would be relatively trivial in comparison.

yes, but if he told you what component, he wouldn't be able to claim he was right in 2 months when a different component is what actually causes a delay.

Also, WAG on my part here, but the "part" is probably something already alluded to, like the performance-level rear motor....hence the "6 to 9 month delay".

See how easy that was for me to make something almost plausible?

This guy isn't even trying that hard.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Tough Crowd!

It doesn't seem unreasonable for someone in this area to know one or more people that work at Tesla. Nor is it unreasonable that there are issues being discovered with the M3 (after all, that is the exact reason they test). and finding issues now is much more healthy than finding them in August or later.

Yes, he wasn't specific, but that is how I think most people would report something like this, in order not to 'out' their contacts.

So to me, its plausible information in a plausible manner. Lets hope it gets resolved along with any other issues that come to light while the cars are out and about on a daily basis.

"I have a March 31 Model 3 reservation so trust me"

No, you guys should trust me instead of him. My brother is Elon and my 92 year old mom works on the production line installing the 300 pound DC motors, and my brother is a rocket scientist at SpaceX, and my sister owns Mustang Ranch whom provides sensual massages for all the Tesla executives. I got the inside scoop :D
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
Robin

Indeed. If I heard something from a Tesla employee I would report it here, no matter how vague. (Barring myself under NDA or other confidence of course.)

Speaking of which, I recently heard Tesla is finally making a Euro webshop soon for car accesories etc. I guess that was old news though. :)

Let me just say that a short may not necessarily be rational, esp given how the stock price is going nowadays. It's not like we haven't caught a few before here.

And then we caught Eds... oh wait. ;)
Eds is like the single counter example where people were wrong about their suspicions (about the accuracy of the information), but the point still stands, shorts like to come here and that excuse of it not making sense had been made many times before (doesn't stop them from coming).

Some examples, not going to direct link, as I don't want to draw traffic back to them: Avenger, Keef (using some other pseudonym as a disguise), musjk188/SamPP.

Not all of these are shorts, they may be motivated by non-stock factors (like hired astroturf, or simply anti-EV or anti-Tesla). Same type of concern trolling however.

Last edited:
Eds is like the single counter example where people were wrong about their suspicions, but the point still stands, shorts like to come here and that excuse of it not making sense had been made many times before (doesn't stop them from coming).

Not saying that has not happened but IMO the effectiveness of TMC for that has been diminishing. Seeking Alpha is different...

Eds was not the only accurate leakster for Model X. The conelessness for example was leaked beforehand.

TMC is exactly the kind of place where someone who has heard something would create an anonymous account and share that info. I almost feel a new poster is more likely a real source than an old account...

Reactions: tracksyde