Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're saying it might be two coast-to-coast demos, or am I reading you wrong?

You're reading me wrong. What I'm suggesting is that in the "FSD won't be even demoed by Tesla until 2019." part PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPERS does not actually talk of a video, right? He/she is talking of demoing FSD in general?

Some people on TMC earlier have correctly pointed out the coast-to-coast demo is not exactly an FSD demo, but just a demo of Tesla's self-driving progress, not really a demo of the "product FSD" (like the current Tesla.com video is not either).

Hard to say if PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPERS was talking of the video there at all? Did you have the Reddit link/context?

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Hoping for EAP at least this month.

What would you consider EAP?

Would blind-spot cameras suffice? Auto-lane change required?

1. Blind-spot cameras in AP2/2.5 cars. On the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum (highly recommended!) @verygreen has been reporting on the maturing on neural networks in this area and now of the fact that the cars seem to have started calibrating the side repeater cameras ostensibly for this purpose (and the EAP auto-lane changes that were expected for December 2016), see e.g. here. I must also thank @lunitiks for elaborating on this data on those threads.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Hoping for EAP at least this month.
xM35K.gif

• Funny
Reactions: ggies07 and Rouget
soooooooooooooooooooo, interesting thing. i on occasion check out the tesla press page for hot new images or videos. in this latest look through it seems a mr. timothy artman had done some adjusting to the folders. on dec 13th and 14th he modified both photo and video autopilot and s and x. with... no new content added.

turns out he is the content production cordinator at tesla and... maybe cleaning up shop before some new updates show? :D

pre post edit, yah something is up. model s interior folder went from 22 items to... 2.

Last edited:
It make sense that the MS gets an updated battery size and updated interior before the M3 is released with a dual-motor. The extended range and speed on the M3, plus DM, will take it that step closer to a MS. That’s all pointing toward that 2Q/3Q period of time. The only gotcha to that logic is the lack of M3 supply.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Due to a welcome reminder above, adding one more to the list:

7. CCS support coming. Now that Tesla is forbidding any commercial use of Superchargers and thus stopping the use of the network for commercial long-distance travel, at least pending any policy clarification or change, CCS support is more needed than ever. Luckily the larger charge port door in Model 3 as well as the rumor mill is supporting this coming to Model 3 at least in Europe. And if it comes to Model 3, Model S/X are sure to follow... Also, China getting its own additional charge port is proof of localization in this area...

Sources tell me that Model 3 indeed will get CCS in Europe. They will expand the Type 2 port and add the two additional pins.

If Model 3 indeed gets CCS Model S/X will get this as well in Europe.

In addition, Fastned (Netherlands) will deploy the first 170kW CCS chargers at the North of Amsterdam later this year.

I expect Model S/X to get CCS in Europe somewhere in Q1/Q2 2018.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of the two motors is geared more for top end? I would presume this more than a two speed transmission. We shall see.

You don't do 0-60 under 2 seconds and a top speed over 250 mph without a transmission.

Current P100D have different ratios for front and rear motors and still don't do the 300 kph/186 mph top speed that competitive German sedans offer.

Reactions: Burnt Toast
You don't do 0-60 under 2 seconds and a top speed over 250 mph without a transmission.

Current P100D have different ratios for front and rear motors and still don't do the 300 kph/186 mph top speed that competitive German sedans offer.

AFAIK the ratios on the P100D (and other dual-motor Teslas) are optimized for motorway economy. I guess in theory one could optimize the second motor for achieving high speeds instead?

Then again, the idea of the front motor being responsible for 300 kph... oh the torque steer. :D

p.s. I have no idea if this would be feasible anyway, just contributing an idea to the conversation. I don't expect a transmission is coming to current-gen Model S/X bodies anyway - or at least we don't have anything pointing towards that at this time. Then again, who knows what the next P upgrade might contain (a new front motor?), we haven't seen the Model 3 AWD / P yet either...

AFAIK the ratios on the P100D (and other dual-motor Teslas) are optimized for motorway economy.

The rear motor in the P100D is optimized for 0-60 in 2.28 seconds and 40 mph-80 mph overtaking quickness while the front motor is optimized for highway cruising efficiency, although the front motor is also used to launch.

Cruising speed takes very little power, you don't need the rear motor for cruising speed. At least at legal speeds outside of Germany.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
The rear motor in the P100D is optimized for 0-60 in 2.28 seconds and 40 mph-80 mph overtaking quickness while the front motor is optimized for highway cruising efficiency, although the front motor is also used to launch.

Cruising speed takes very little power, you don't need the rear motor for cruising speed. At least at legal speeds outside of Germany.

Yep, that was my point - the secondary motor so far has been optimized for highway efficiency. What if the second motor was optimized for 300 kph (or something high speed) instead, could that bypass the speculated need for a transmission?

Scary torque steer though in any case? ;)

Reactions: gavine
Yep, that was my point - the secondary motor so far has been optimized for highway efficiency. What if the second motor was optimized for 300 kph (or something high speed) instead, could that bypass the speculated need for a transmission?

Scary torque steer though in any case? ;)

It might get you to 300 kph/186 mph not 250 mph plus. Which is what Elon promised for Roadster 2020.