Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't done the math, but guessing that a 100kWh battery with a M3 drivetrain would likely give the same range as a 130kWh battery with a MS (non-P) drivetrain.

One other thought. Who's to say that the next version of the MS will only be a facelift? We know that the platform is getting old (compared to the cab-forward, high steel content M3), and that it was never really designed for high volume manufacture. Shouldn't the next MS share more in common with Roadster 2020 than MS 2012?
What? Is the Model 3-drivetrain that much more efficient?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the 3 due to its size, but that is amazing if correct...

Anyway, I am silently hoping to strike the jackpot of a midlife facelift for the X combined with a new battery. If they start using more efficient motors as well that is simply awesome. I love my S, but I am starting to see some space issues now that my small boys are getting bigger;)

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
What? Is the Model 3-drivetrain that much more efficient?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the 3 due to its size, but that is amazing if correct...

Anyway, I am silently hoping to strike the jackpot of a midlife facelift for the X combined with a new battery. If they start using more efficient motors as well that is simply awesome. I love my S, but I am starting to see some space issues now that my small boys are getting bigger;)

The model 3 is that much more efficient. Most of it is due to lighter weight, smaller profile, and lower drag coefficient, but Tesla also went permanent magnet for the first time ever, and so it might well be a more efficient drivetrain as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'm told OP is on 'silent' moderation, i.e. every single one of his posts have to be ok'ed before they appear in the forum (sometimes taking hours).

May I ask why, mods?
23kc88.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BigD0g
I wonder what the story was with 75 kWh Model S's shippping with 85 kWh batteries as well as the "80P" battery filing:

Tesla starts delivering 85 kWh batteries software locked to 75Kwh in its cars

EPA documents reveal a Model S/X battery called the 80P pack • r/teslamotors

These 85 kWh 75's and "80P" would seem to be two different batteries?

"80P" battery configuration is now added with 75 model carline. 100 kWh battery pack module with depopulated cells and firmware limits to match 75 kWh pack performance. We still continue to produce 75 model carline with existing battery configuration.

As agreed with EPA Tesla ran pack level energy comparison between new "80P" pack and current 75 pack. The results are shown below. The Estimated Test Weight of vehicle equipped with new "80P" pack has not changed.

With the higher energy content of the 80p pack, the current 75 pack will still continue to be the worst case for FE label purposes.

img_0019-jpg.237521

The speculation that Model 3 "Long Range" is actually larger than 75 kWh battery could certainly fit - if so, Tesla might have had a motivation to consider shipping base Model S/X with a larger battery. Starting shipments first as software-locked 75's and then switching to 80/85 could have been a plan to handle the Model 3 launch with less Osborning. Obviously they ended up not stating the final Model 3 battery size at all, though?

EPA Rates ‘Long Range’ Model 3 at 334 Miles Per Charge

LR True Range -- Part I, Suppositions

Tesla has said the “Long Range” battery pack Model 3 is capable of 310 miles on a single charge. But, the document reveals the EPA-cycle test came up to 334 miles, 24 more than Tesla’s own suggestion. So, the document now notes 310 miles as the “Tesla Desired Range” for the pricier version of the Model 3.

With EPA testing showing combined cycle range of 335, I've wondered how Tesla handled its down-rate to 310. Three possibilities came to mind:

Hide the "top" of the battery, calling 93% "100%" ... thereby reducing degradation risk from range charging.

Hide the "bottom" of the battery, calling 7% "0%" ... thereby reducing run-dry risk.

Squoosh the space in between, making range miles closer to actual miles ... thereby reducing risk of disappointed owners.
Any or all would seem sensible for a car that must play to a widened audience.

Thoughts? What's going on with the base Model S/X battery size - and is Model 3 LR battery size at all related?

btw I saw 18.4.1, it seems to add FEATURE_blindspotWarningEnabled flag, defaults to true, but not doing anything, still another addition into upcoming bling spot warnings coming soon theory.

Other notable additions: FEATURE_cameraEnabled and FEATURE_laneDepartureWarningEnabled

Thanks! :)

A bit closer to checking point 1 then:

1. Blind-spot cameras in AP2/2.5 cars. On the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum (highly recommended!) @verygreen has been reporting on the maturing on neural networks in this area and now of the fact that the cars seem to have started calibrating the side repeater cameras ostensibly for this purpose (and the EAP auto-lane changes that were expected for December 2016), see e.g. here. I must also thank @lunitiks for elaborating on this data on those threads.

My take on the latest comments from the Q4 earnings report/call as well as the PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER alleged insider on Reddit:

First of all, Elon bumped the "by the end of 2017", then "early 2018" coast-to-coast drive by additional 3 to 6 months, though not a definite 6 months, just 6 months on the outside which could be construed to mean a similar thing. So the next expectation for the coast-to-coast is within the next 3-6 months, Elon-time.

We have heard from the PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER source many alleged/rumored details (some quoted in this thread before, others discussed on the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum) about this coast-to-coast drive and how it is made. IMO Elon's comments do jive with those, as do @verygreen's findings of coast-to-coast map routes appearing in the cars around the turn of the year. If we believe @verygreen as well as PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER, as well as the lack of autonomous reports for Tesla in 2017 in California, the conclusion IMO is that Tesla has been trying to make the coast-to-coast possibly since January and wished to get it done perhaps by the quarterly call, but couldn't make it.

Elon's comment about how they "could do the CTC drive now, but so much would have to be hard coded for the route that it wouldn’t work for anything but that route and be to brittle" actually sounds very much in line with PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER's earlier claims of how Tesla has been doing this (i.e. hardcoding much of this having to repaint lines at Superchargers) and how he/she claims Tesla did the original video as well. Why would Elon make such a comment, had they not tried it... Another Reddit rumor stated Tesla had gotten this method down to 30 disengagements at some point earlier this year, which again would seem to resonate with Elon's comment.

IMO the simple reading of Elon is simply that PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER is probably pretty much right and Elon was describing something they'd done, that was too brittle still and not the quality they wanted - and thus work was continuing and it would take longer. The cynic in me suggests had it worked out better, Tesla probably would have opted to release the hard-coded video anyway, but perhaps an optimist would say they chose against it because it would not be a representative demo. There are bound to be many opinions on this, of course. I have no judgement on that, we don't know.

I guess it also depends on whether you're an optimist or a cynic to speculate on what is happening right now: is Tesla trying to perfect the hard-coding and get it done, or are they advacing their HD mapping hoping it would get done through that, or ar they even pushing their attempts back in an effort to get an overall better FSD codebase on the road for a truly autonomous attempt given that whatever they currently had was too "brittle".

So, what's the status on FSD? I think Elon's and Tesla's focus on the new NN architecture time and time again is pretty telling. Whatever they had in 2016 didn't work out. I tend to believe PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER that even then the video was hard-coded (or as he/she puts it perhaps even remote controlled a bit), but Tesla probably had hopes that the NN they did have would work out sooner and better, and then it did not. Now they've gotten that basic NN stuff sorted out, but they are still a year behind on where they hoped overall they'd be, I speculate. They IMO probably didn't do FSD testing in California simply because they weren't ready to do it at the quality they'd like to show, not simply because their autonomous testing efforts happen to be elsewhere. It is also possibley EAP was their sole focus for most of the year anyway and FSD and the demo have been on a backburner...

Is PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER real? I think probably they do have a real source, whether themselves or an acquaintance I can not tell. Unlike some, I pay no attention to obfuscated personal details, PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER has admitted keeping them vague for the sake of privacy. This would fit with someone in an insider position, that in itself is no proof of falsehood. Even normal folks obfuscate personal details on the Internet. Staying private on the Internet requires measures to keep that privacy. I do find that PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPERs has been posting things over the autumn that now match up with what Elon comments. The same happened with Eds years ago, when Elon suddenly confirmed his claim of hydraulic doors being cancelled (and many other things, like a delayed Model X ramp) - nobody believed Eds at the time... cue six months later, Elon confirms it.

I tend to believe PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER has a real source. Whether or not he/she is the source him/herself, I do not know. Whether or not his/her source can paint a realistic, complete and timely picture going forward, I have no idea. It is possible, as with all sources, their view is too obscured or limited to be able to do that.

Anyway, returning to the status of the FSD: As @BinaryField puts it, this comic seems fitting, though replace algorithms with NN. :) It was a harder nut to crack than they expected, but also they were a lot more behind than we expected in October 2016.

here_to_help_2x.png

I know 99% of this forum couldn't give a bigger turd about this guy, but now PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER posts this (as usual, pointing out he's some kind of insider - I dunno about that, but):
PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER said:
Autopilot vision scientist here.

No, it does not actively learn (online learning on a car means death to the driver). Nor is any alert triggered for manual review.

The only thing Tesla collects are short (few second) clips of you driving, about one clip per week, randomly when you drive.

The calibration process at the beginning of a brand new AP car simply measures camera pitch/angle variances and engine sensitivity. Has nothing to do with your driving style.

The data is more useful to Autopilot Maps (roads, 3D) rather than controls or vision. Mainly due to labeling bottlenecks and annotation quality from in-house and 3rd party vendors. Yes, Tesla outsources this too. All tech companies do.
"The upcoming autonomous coast-to-coast drive will showcase a major leap forward for our self-driving technology. Additionally, an extensive overhaul of the underlying architecture of our software has now been completed, which has enabled a step-change improvement in the collection and analysis of data and fundamentally enhanced its machine learning capabilities. Our neural net, which expands as our customer fleet grows, is able to collect and analyze more high-quality data than ever before, enabling us to rollout a series of new Autopilot features in 2018 and beyond."

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...A-CB3CDC1B919F/TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-4Q.pdf
I liked the bit about the NN expanding as the fleet grows :D
Did I hear the call right? Did Elon just estimate that the coast to coast demo will occur and be available to customers in three to six months?
He definitely said it and sadly I don’t think he was trolling. I do like how he admitted, he could do the CTC drive now, but so much would have to be hard coded for the route that it wouldn’t work for anything but that route and be to brittle. Aka, yah this isn’t solved, three months maybe, six months definitely

pm_your_nips_paper.png

Very good data points from @verygreen related to the rumor-watch on this thread. I am happy to see that despite his car being bought back by Tesla, he seems to still have access to firmwares for our reading pleasure. :)

About MCU or dash computer upgrade to Model S/X:
btw, I was looking into some firmware code yesterday for unrelated reasons and stumbled upon mentioning of a refreshed MCU for S and X what it looks like. According to that bit of code, it's x86 based just like Model 3 (and is likely pretty much the same board with a different screen(s)).

The code was added in 17.50.x
No idea about that. E.g. when first HW2.5 bits appeared in firmware, it took quite some time until first model3s were unveiled, and then some more time until the same hardware materialized in model S/Xs produced.

So the only definitive information that could be gained from this is there is a replacement MCU coming eventually (there were some rumors I heard elsewhere about Tesla starting production of such units and whatnot, but those were just that - rumors).
No idea about that, as you can imagine, software does not really tell us much about external formfactor.

About AP2/2.5 "shadow mode":
Well, to reply you here as well:

Well, it DOES happen randomly. But not just that. Basically when Tesla needs more data - they upload "triggers" that match some criteria to a subse of cars. Typically those criteria range from "randomly with probability of x% capture something to "if we are about to hit something and it's time to trigger AEB - capture a snapshot". Triggers select what they want captured to from full video from front cars and 1fps vide from all cams to "just radar snapshot" or "just canbus snapshot". Triggers also have limits on how many snapshots they can create, ranging from 1 to a bigger number, often 10 to 20 for random events and 1 to 2 for nonrandom ones.

Those triggers go around and often have very limited duration, like 24 hours. The whole number of such campaigns at present are probably still under 100 (i saw caimapign #64 in November) and I have seen 4 of them (that should give you an idea about how many cars they hit with this at once).

The cars that don't receive a trigger don't do any snapshot other than unconditional ones. Early on unconditional snapshots were rich, say up until sometime in June every FCS wold generate a front cam video snapshot, but then they became very sparse. Now uncoditional ones pretty much include: component failure (something did not turn on/something crashed - cams not included unless it lead to a crash), the "rob-silent"/"rob-active" to detect false radar positives and the "car is crashing" snapshot when the car is detected to be in a crash.

So somebody on reddit unearthed an actual definition from Elon about the "shadow mode" that pretty much says "we'll make a snapshot when a condition is met" - and THIS does exist, but it's still a lot lesser scale than implied because not every car does get the conditions, the number of triggers is limited and the time the condition stays in place is limited. If the interesting condition happens without an active trigger - it's not reported.

But the problem is people put so much more into that definition, so before denying the existence of "shadow mode" I typically ask people what do they thing the "shadow mode" is, and oftentimes what they think about it does not actually exist.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Anyway, returning to the status of the FSD: As @BinaryField puts it, this comic seems fitting, though replace algorithms with NN. :) It was a harder nut to crack than they expected, but also they were a lot more behind than we expected in October 2016.

here_to_help_2x.png

Well, one important thing to remember here, is that neural nets aren't a new thing, or just used by Tesla. Neural nets are basically state of the art in many applications and nothing magical anymore.

There are forum posts from 2009 on stack overflow, where people discuss building a spam filter with a neural net, just for fun. Neural networks for email spam detection And even in 2009 NN wasn't really something only a handful of people used. Every speech recognition, image recognition and so on works with a NN. A very fun example:
Lyrebird - Create a digital copy of voice

I remember machine learning and AI being a thing back in the 90s and today they are used in a lot of applications. Every company invested in autonomous driving uses neural nets. So it wasn't like Tesla thought they could use NN to solve a problem others tried to solve differently.

There is a discussion of how much deep learning a car should do and where a human needs to step in and help. And depending on who you ask and when, the answer always changes. But they all use it. Otherwise it would be pretty impossible to get to any kind of autonomous driving.