Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very surprised the S hasn’t gotten any serious upgrades yet. The P3 even got track mode with no mention of it coming to the flagship car.

I don't think there is much of a benefit of the S getting a "track mode". The induction motors on the S simply do not work well at all on the track. Thermal management is a much bigger issue with them, and they really aren't capable of doing more than a lap or two before they get too hot.

Very surprised the S hasn’t gotten any serious upgrades yet. The P3 even got track mode with no mention of it coming to the flagship car.

S is getting stale, they need to do something soon.

Yeah I am tired of hearing about Model 3. S owners should get some love, after all, it is us who have paved the way to make Model 3 possible, at least partially. All we got was an UI that was suited for Model 3...

I don't think there is much of a benefit of the S getting a "track mode". The induction motors on the S simply do not work well at all on the track. Thermal management is a much bigger issue with them, and they really aren't capable of doing more than a lap or two before they get too hot.
I wouldn't even use Model 3 track mode on a track, nor will most people.

They already did a larger charge port on the S/X for the Chinese market. It looks like an ICE fuel door in the fender near the taillight. It isn't as clean, but they could do it for the European market too until the refresh.

Yes, they certainly could. CCS would have to be placed sideways, though, if they used the same cut-out as in China.

That said, I have always been leaning on re-designed tail-lights - and re-designed tail-light charge port - personally. It wouldn't seem to require that much more space once they get around to it. Could go either way or any other way, of course, there is no data in the public domain to answer this question other than this slightly related and completely unconfirmed rumour from @CraZ8:
The tail and rear lights will get a revamp as well as the mirrors ( possible passing indicators?)

Here are some more very rough mock-ups of mine that should somewhat show the correct size of the CCS compared to the existing Chinese and European cut-outs:

model_s_ccs_mockups.jpg
@lunitiks @verygreen

Yeah I am tired of hearing about Model 3. S owners should get some love, after all, it is us who have paved the way to make Model 3 possible, at least partially. All we got was an UI that was suited for Model 3...

Yes! It’s really insane to me. For all the talk about S being the best vehicle, it’s really not. Needs some upgrades stat.

Reactions: emmz0r
Here is my mock-up of one possible Model S euro-CCS implementation style (and similar thinking for Model X):

model_s_ccs_mockup.jpg

@AnxietyRanger don't just disagree and run away. Post up some facts there hero and be part of the discussion.

I would @GWord, but I am on moderation probation, so I am technically unable to respond timely in threads like your mentioned Neural Networks, on niche forums such as Autonomous Vehicles, as my messages will not show up in any timely fashion. The limitation does not apply to likes or disagrees, hence you may see more of likes and disagress from me than actual messages. This moderation probation also affects the main forums like Model S, but in a less time prohibiting manner (during U.S. daytime) as they are more actively maintained and messages are moderated through from probation in a more timely fashion. I hope that helps undestand the situation, which is beyond my control.

Take care! Keep up the great analysis and speculation people. I am reading even if I'm not always responding. :)

Last edited:

S is getting stale, they need to do something soon.

It was supposed to happen late this year, but all the mess with Model 3 production shoved it off into next year. I expect the S and X will get a number of changes to share parts and themes with the Model 3. There were some leaked dashboard pictures that showed a cut down dash like the Model 3.

I expect a number of the changes will reduce production costs and time and if Tesla was smart, they would pass on those savings to the customer making the S/X a bit more expensive than the 3, but not dramatically so. It would also help keep up sales when the tax incentive ends in the US.

I expect they will discontinue making the motors currently used for the S/X and go with Model 3 motors for everything. The Performance S could get three M3 motors like the Roadster. I would not be surprised if the Roadster and updated S/X platforms didn't share a lot of the same tech.

With the S/X if anything starts to overheat, the entire car goes into limitation of the entire system. Apparently with the M3 track mode, the overheating monitoring system is more sophisticated and will limit systems that are overheating, but not the whole system. It also has a better ability to keep all systems cooler under heavy load. I expect the S/X to get these improvements. The standard S/X won't have a track mode, but the Performance S/X will probably have more ability to throw it around a track before it becomes limited.

Tesla is always coming out with new things, but they also are looking to save costs behind the scenes. The Model S facelift was mostly integrating Model X improvements into the Model S line. I expect the Model S/X facelift next year will be similar integrating M3 improvements. The two new vehicles we have already seen: the Roadster and Semi have the M3 motors and the Model Y will almost certainly have the same motors because they will share the same platform. It makes sense to combine and give all vehicles the same motor.

It was supposed to happen late this year, but all the mess with Model 3 production shoved it off into next year. I expect the S and X will get a number of changes to share parts and themes with the Model 3. There were some leaked dashboard pictures that showed a cut down dash like the Model 3.

I expect a number of the changes will reduce production costs and time and if Tesla was smart, they would pass on those savings to the customer making the S/X a bit more expensive than the 3, but not dramatically so. It would also help keep up sales when the tax incentive ends in the US.

I expect they will discontinue making the motors currently used for the S/X and go with Model 3 motors for everything. The Performance S could get three M3 motors like the Roadster. I would not be surprised if the Roadster and updated S/X platforms didn't share a lot of the same tech.

With the S/X if anything starts to overheat, the entire car goes into limitation of the entire system. Apparently with the M3 track mode, the overheating monitoring system is more sophisticated and will limit systems that are overheating, but not the whole system. It also has a better ability to keep all systems cooler under heavy load. I expect the S/X to get these improvements. The standard S/X won't have a track mode, but the Performance S/X will probably have more ability to throw it around a track before it becomes limited.

Tesla is always coming out with new things, but they also are looking to save costs behind the scenes. The Model S facelift was mostly integrating Model X improvements into the Model S line. I expect the Model S/X facelift next year will be similar integrating M3 improvements. The two new vehicles we have already seen: the Roadster and Semi have the M3 motors and the Model Y will almost certainly have the same motors because they will share the same platform. It makes sense to combine and give all vehicles the same motor.

Nice thoughts, definitely makes sense. I am hoping for something first half of 2019, I need a car stat lol

I expect they will discontinue making the motors currently used for the S/X and go with Model 3 motors for everything.... The two new vehicles we have already seen: the Roadster and Semi have the M3 motors and the Model Y will almost certainly have the same motors because they will share the same platform. It makes sense to combine and give all vehicles the same motor.
This is not accurate, as what you call "Model 3 motors" are not a single thing. The Model 3 Performance uses for its front motor the same type of motor (an AC induction motor) as is used in the Model S/X, rather than the switched-reluctance permanent-magnet motor used elsewhere (including the Semi). You can rest assured that if it was better for the performance model, it is likely better for the new Roadster, too.

One cannot say that the AC induction motor or the switched-reluctance permanent-magnet motor is better than the other. Each one has advantages over the other and they are optimized for different goals.

I think that any changes to the S & X need to go beyond what is offered in the 3, otherwise the flagship cars risk being demoted to 'me too' cars

I agree. But I think the S/X will be more similar to the M3 with more goodies on top. Some people feel the M3 is a better car than the S, which they need to silence. All the better things in the 3 need to show up on the S with extras on top.

This is not accurate, as what you call "Model 3 motors" are not a single thing. The Model 3 Performance uses for its front motor the same type of motor (an AC induction motor) as is used in the Model S/X, rather than the switched-reluctance permanent-magnet motor used elsewhere (including the Semi). You can rest assured that if it was better for the performance model, it is likely better for the new Roadster, too.

One cannot say that the AC induction motor or the switched-reluctance permanent-magnet motor is better than the other. Each one has advantages over the other and they are optimized for different goals.

I forgot about the front motor in the Performance M3. Who knows what the Roadster will eventually have, but at the reveal Elon said that the new Roadster had three Model 3 motors. The production car may just have two of the permanent magnet motors with one AC induction in the front.

They may keep the smaller induction motor in production and drop the larger motor for a pair of smaller ones in the Performance S/X. Tesla wants to reduce costs and the more streamlined production is, the better. Making only two motor types is cheaper than supporting three.

It doesn't look like they will be able to standardize on the 2170 cell immediately, but possibly by the roll out of the S/X refresh they will be able to. The packs for the S/X are different from the 3 and the two aren't interchangeable, but parts of each pack might be after refit. I doubt M3 modules could be fit into the S/X pack footprint, they are the wrong shape, but they could standardize the way modules are assembled between the two. An S/X pack with 2170s would probably be somewhere between 110 and 120 KWh.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I expect an interior refresh in 2019 for the S and X to match the 3 aesthetic but at a more upscale level befitting the vehicles being more expensive. In 2020 I expect a platform redesign for S and X.

Why would they redesign the interior for only one year? I would guess either a complete new car next year, or a redesigned interior followed after 2-3 years by the new platform.

Why would they redesign the interior for only one year? I would guess either a complete new car next year, or a redesigned interior followed after 2-3 years by the new platform.

When I say platform refresh I’m not expecting the interior to change. I’m expecting a body refresh and perhaps some changes to aid manufacturability. Possibly a switch in battery cells used. They might change the motor then too. A lot can be done without touching the interior. The interior change is important because Tesla needs to differentiate the S and X from the 3 and Y not just on size but on luxury.

Due to a welcome reminder above, adding one more to the list:

7. CCS support coming. Now that Tesla is forbidding any commercial use of Superchargers and thus stopping the use of the network for commercial long-distance travel, at least pending any policy clarification or change, CCS support is more needed than ever. Luckily the larger charge port door in Model 3 as well as the rumor mill is supporting this coming to Model 3 at least in Europe. And if it comes to Model 3, Model S/X are sure to follow... Also, China getting its own additional charge port is proof of localization in this area...

Here is my mock-up of one possible Model S euro-CCS implementation style (and similar thinking for Model X):

model_s_ccs_mockup-jpg.351151

Tesla confirms Model 3 is getting a CCS plug in Europe, adapter coming for Model S and Model X

Adapter for Model S/X for now, which is nice for existing owners (I will surely get one), but leaves Model S/X behind of Model 3 again for new buyers. Remains to be seen when a possible Model S/X facelift appears and whether or not it makes this standard.

Tesla-Model-3-CCS.jpg

Last edited: