Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor]Tesla is reducing speed of Supercharging as your Tesla gets older

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plug in to AC one night a week (at my rural house). I charge there to 50% and thats enough to get me to the first Supercharger on my run back to my city apartment. All the rest are 80% DC charges at the supercharger, probably 4 times a week.
In case anyone is wondering, I live in rural Victoria but can earn double the income working inner city so I live in my inner city apartment 3 nights a week and then return to rural idyll.

the remainder have all been 90kWh+ packs with the new chemistry.

To be clear, I don't think we have any reports from 90+ cars, just 90 cars (and the one 85). Any effects on 100 kWh are speculative at this stage, right? Though we must say Tesla's statement did not limit this to any particular battery.

Thanks @doctorwho for the info on your 85 kWh car!

Reactions: doctorwho
Cosma,
" I wonder if this fast charge degrade effect has anything to with Tesla moving from 80A dual chargers to a maximum 72A internal charger in newer cars?"

My understanding is that the change had to do with a change in Canadian electrical regulations. I was curious about this to when I noticed the difference in max amps between my P85S and P90X using the same HPWC.

You have an 85kWh pack, though, which may be of less value. We have one owner stating Tesla informed them their pack was limited, but the remainder have all been 90kWh+ packs with the new chemistry.
If that 85 owner had an A revision pack, his pack would be limited to 90 kW max charge current and it would have nothing to do with the number of DC fast charges.

I had always understood from Tesla that supercharging doesn't stress the battery in the least, and one could do it as often as one pleases. Now we hear that it does stress the battery significantly, after all. Personally I'm quite concerned, as I do travel frequently and therefore depend on supercharging.

If the high charge rate is really that hard on the battery, then maybe it would be helpful if Tesla would allow one to manually set a bit lower charge rate, much like you can on AC power - if I need to supercharge but I'm not in a terribly big hurry (and there are plenty of empty stations), then I could set the charge rate to, say, 3/4 of max speed to make it easier on the battery. Now, would that make a big difference in the battery's longevity? Who knows...

I don't think that's what we heard at all.

We heard that Tesla slightly limits the max charge rate of some batteries (mine maxes higher than it did 3 years ago)...and perhaps because of taper restructuring, not always even to the detriment of total charge time.
If so, that's a relief. If they're simply tweaking the charging profile, that doesn't sound so bad. I'm surprised nobody has commented on Bjørn's observations which he posted on youtube last week - that's what brought me to this thread.

Wait a minute... should I be viewing this thread instead?: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This is confusing - two very similar threads apparently about the same (or confusingly similar) topic - could the mods do something about that?

Apr 2013 85 'A' battery 112 k miles. I would say our SC use is a little above avg out of necessity. Most weekdays we charge to 90% at home in the garage for my wife's commute. But she has a long commute about once a week so we set to full charge to finish close to her departure time. She will typically visit a SC either some distance outbound or on the way home to get enough to complete her commute. When at relatively low SOC - and not pairing at an SC - she still sees 89kW (max for her battery is 90 kW which she only saw when she was at an extremely low SOC - rare). Temps are a non factor here in this part of CA.
Times when there has been a full charge via SC can probably be counted on one hand for the 4 years.

Due to various SOC's for each session, the Charge Rate varies, but it has followed the chart devised here several years ago.

Even though the OP has a 90, we see no claimed effect on our 85.