Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who don't care about the whole sustainability "tree-hugger nonsense" then things like ride quality, performance, cabin quality, tech features, media amenities, cargo space, passenger room, and many others that wouldn't even make my example list are going to be the key factors.
There are many reasons beyond "tree hugger nonsense" to driving an EV, like not wanting to give money to countries that support terrorism every day you drive a car, or wanting your money spent on transportation to be kept locally, and knowing that the more people that drive EVs the less likely it will be for the USA to start another war for oil.

All that and despite arguments over the interior the MS tops most reviewers lists and broke consumer reports grading scale (not to mention the machine that crushes cars roofs for safety tests) so no matter how you slice it the MS is a great car. And it should be noted that Telsa's designers compare the MS to a clean and minimalist mid-century modern house as opposed to whatever you want to call the cluttered German luxury interior.

I love how people think that Tesla owners that now have $100+K Model S's never had a high end car before. I have as many other have. I've also sat/test drove the newest Audi S8 and the BMW 7 Series. Completely cluttered look inside. Stepping into a Model S with the interior upgrade package was refreshing. It's not perfect, but the German's aren't either.

It's not that I think that. It's that I think many/ most Tesla owners are completely unwilling to admit the cars have any shortcomings whatsoever. Unusable cupholders? No, that's a feature! Complete lack of center console? Wow, revolutionary! Sometimes I think if Tesla had put a bench seat in the car people here would sing it's praises and tout the "simplicity" of the one long seat.

Interior design is obviously subjective but whereas not a whole lot of people are complaining about the 5 series or S class interiors, the Model S's interior seems to be a recurring theme with respect to what people find disappointing about the car. There's a reason for that.

Regarding a facelift, I would be surprised if the Model S did not have a redesign at the front to bring it in line with the X, the new nose design and LED headlights is what I'm thinking.

This was done with the roadster which was an even rarer car, bringing the design in line with the Model S before the car even came out so the cars shared a common design "language".

As Tesla is still finding their "look" I would see it as very likely the Model S will eventually follow the X to have a continuous appearance across the range.

As for the timing, who knows. Obviously they are extremely stretched with X and 3 production/design work but I don't see a front end facelift as being an insurmountable job for them.

Typical German cycle would be a facelift around 4 years and so I would suspect that it will happen some time next year.

Mercedes S-Class:

Audi S8:

Model S:
2013-tesla-model-s-interior-photo-498135-s-1280x782.jpg
The seats in the picture above look like they have perforations for ventilation. I thought they might be the cloth "multi-pattern" seats but in the design studio those only come in black and the pattern on the center inserts looks different. Zybane -- are these an older style of seat or are they something new? Thanks.

It's not that I think that. It's that I think many/ most Tesla owners are completely unwilling to admit the cars have any shortcomings whatsoever. Unusable cupholders? No, that's a feature! Complete lack of center console? Wow, revolutionary!
My wife and I prefer the open center area and even if a center console was a no-cost option we would not take it. And we don't care about cup holders. The current obsession with not being able to leave the house without a bottle of water does not interest us.
Interior design is obviously subjective but whereas not a whole lot of people are complaining about the 5 series or S class interiors, the Model S's interior seems to be a recurring theme with respect to what people find disappointing about the car. There's a reason for that.
Yes, for decades car marketers have worked very hard, spending many millions of advertising dollars, to convince people that more buttons and switches and car seats that look like Barcaloungers are vehicle "improvements", all in an effort to disguise the fact that the auto manufacturers are selling the same old polluting combustion engines they always have. And the marketers have succeeded in persuading most people that cluttered car interiors and interfaces that require user manuals hundreds of pages long are a good thing (BMW even offers owners hours long classes on how to use their car, which blows my mind!).
Then Tesla comes along and not only revolutionizes the power train but also completely rethinks the user interface and interior design. Naturally there is some resistance to so much change all at once.

The seats in the picture above look like they have perforations for ventilation. I thought they might be the cloth "multi-pattern" seats but in the design studio those only come in black and the pattern on the center inserts looks different. Zybane -- are these an older style of seat or are they something new? Thanks.

Not sure, that photo was just plucked from Google images. While I do think the Model S interior is quite nice, I do agree that ventilated seats should have been there from the beginning. That's a fairly large oversight.

Going beyond the interior (which needs upgraded materials and some additional storage - in the doors and sunglasses holder for instance),I wish tesla would work on their sound proofing towards the exterior of the car. Have you ever listened to someone speaking on their phone in the Tesla? It's like you are trying to broadcast it to the world to hear.... I am reluctant to use the handsfree option unless I am on the highway

My wife and I prefer the open center area and even if a center console was a no-cost option we would not take it. And we don't care about cup holders. The current obsession with not being able to leave the house without a bottle of water does not interest us. Yes, for decades car marketers have worked very hard, spending many millions of advertising dollars, to convince people that more buttons and switches and car seats that look like Barcaloungers are vehicle "improvements", all in an effort to disguise the fact that the auto manufacturers are selling the same old polluting combustion engines they always have. And the marketers have succeeded in persuading most people that cluttered car interiors and interfaces that require user manuals hundreds of pages long are a good thing (BMW even offers owners hours long classes on how to use their car, which blows my mind!).
Then Tesla comes along and not only revolutionizes the power train but also completely rethinks the user interface and interior design. Naturally there is some resistance to so much change all at once.

I'd respond to this but you've clearly had too much of the koolaid to bring you back anywhere near objectivity. So I'll say I'm glad you like your car.

I like my S too. That said, I miss so many of the features from my other German cars and that's not because I was convinced that I need them. It's because they were useful features.

I'd respond to this but you've clearly had too much of the koolaid to bring you back anywhere near objectivity. So I'll say I'm glad you like your car.

I like my S too.
And I'm glad you like your car. But I never drink Kool-aid, I try to avoid added sugar in my food.
It is possible to genuinely admire the Model S interior design while remaining objective. I also live in a mid-century modern house and prefer that design aesthetic, a balance of form and function. [emoji3]

There are many reasons beyond "tree hugger nonsense" to driving an EV, like not wanting to give money to countries that support terrorism every day you drive a car, or wanting your money spent on transportation to be kept locally, and knowing that the more people that drive EVs the less likely it will be for the USA to start another war for oil.

All that and despite arguments over the interior the MS tops most reviewers lists and broke consumer reports grading scale (not to mention the machine that crushes cars roofs for safety tests) so no matter how you slice it the MS is a great car. And it should be noted that Telsa's designers compare the MS to a clean and minimalist mid-century modern house as opposed to whatever you want to call the cluttered German luxury interior.

I put "tree-hugger nonsense" in quotes because it is a prevalent mindset regarding EVs in a large segment of the (potential) future buying population, not because I agree with it.

Regarding terrorism, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that viewpoint. Unless you're going to completely eschew petroleum-based products and ignore all of the non-terrorist states that export oil, it's a position without reasonable merit in my eyes.

And I totally agree that the MS is a terrific car despite the "averageness" (or even sub-par-ness, in class) of comfort and appointment in the cabin. As I mentioned upthread, I voted with my wallet.

My wife and I prefer the open center area and even if a center console was a no-cost option we would not take it.

Sounds like you're married to my wife. She likes the no center console. She calls that her purse area. I wanted to get a center console, but I got used to not having one (if she wasn't so in love with her purse area, I'd override her)

These rumors are driving me crazy. I will get my S90D in February. So if someone has any facts, can he advise me to get the car no or delay the order a few months now? Private message appreciated if this is confidential. Thank you!

These rumors are driving me crazy. I will get my S90D in February. So if someone has any facts, can he advise me to get the car no or delay the order a few months now? Private message appreciated if this is confidential. Thank you!

The only facts people have are the fact that changes are going to happen but "when" is anybody's guess. So you have to make the leap sometime or you'd never buy -- and unfortunately we're not immortal. One day on this earth without a Tesla is too long for me.

Or, you can look at it this way: You're not really buying a vehicle as much are you are buying a tablet with a much larger battery, a really great case, and wheels attached to it. Remember your first tablet? Well years down the road you will probably look back at the car you have on order the same way.

There are no rumors. There are no "facts". Only wild, random, and "off-the-charts" speculation. Don't rely on any of it. Just buy the car. The day after you do so, there will be newer, cool features. Or the month after. Or two months after. That's a fact.

I think a lot of people equate high end Porsche's, Mercedes and Audi's with "luxury/quality" because they have a million buttons and switches inside. I'm the exact opposite. Simplicity is luxury.

BMW 7 Series:
2013_bmw_7-series_long_wheelbase_44_1920x1080.jpg

Mercedes S-Class:
2014_mercedes-benz_s-class_125_1920x1080.jpg

Audi S8:
2013-Audi-S8-interior1.jpg

Model S:
2013-tesla-model-s-interior-photo-498135-s-1280x782.jpg

I'll take the Tesla to all of the cluttered ones above any day of the week.

I'm pretty sure car interior in the future will be more like the S than other cars above. Just take a look at even the Mecedes' own F 015 self driving demo car.