Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Was the Karma originally Fisker's design for the Whitestar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The end of the article is ironic as it highlights Tesla as the company that was poised to save the US EV industry which may actually delay or kill it, by preventing competitors from entering the market in 2009-10 if it's injunction (court order preventing an entity from doing something) is granted.

This is not what Martin E envisioned...and it is certainly a turn off as a prospective buyer. I hope Whitestar is a success, but if they play the cut-throat games that they have accused Big Auto and Big Oil of playing, why should consumers trust them?

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first lawsuit that Tesla has ever filed. Over at TTAC, they are calling Tesla "lawsuit happy". I don't know how many lawsuits it takes to be lawsuit happy, but I'm sure it has to be more than one.

Given that Tesla does not have a history of frivolous lawsuits, I'm going to assume, at least for now, that they have enough evidence that they feel they have a valid case. We just don't know the details, and neither does Pop Mech, so we can't know for sure.

If Tesla does have a valid case, then letting another company steal their technology while billing them for shoddy work is certainly not what Martin had envisioned for the company. That's a whole lot different than "saving the US EV industry". There are still a number of other companies besides Fisker that are working on EVs right now, so I don't see this as having a major negative impact on the entire industry.

Fisker claims lawsuits won't stop Q4 2009 delivery - AutoblogGreen

From Fisker press release:

"In January of 2007 I first met Henrik Fisker. Soon thereafter, I became convinced that a strategic alliance joining together Quantum's (PHEV) unique technology position with Fisker's design expertise could be leveraged into a company capable of launching the first premium sports sedan for the (PHEV) segment," expressed Alan Niedzwiecki, CEO, Quantum Technologies. "In August 2007 that vision became a reality with the inception of Fisker Automotive Inc., effectively combining Quantum's (PHEV) drivetrain expertise with a remarkable design from Fisker Coachbuild LLC."

Apparently, they expect(ed) to get to market first, before Whitestar.

Regardless of the lawsuit the fact that Tesla spent about 1 - 1,5 years from working prototype to start of production. And another what, 3-6 months before they start true mass production (i.e. more than 1 car a week). And Fisker should start delivering cars in Q4 09 without even a working prototype ready yet? I find that pretty hard to beleive. If Fisker made some interesting deals to keep God Murphy away maybe, but he usually visits IMHO :)

Cobos