Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumors- Apple May Have Considered Purchasing Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the best write-up on the story was here. It recalls the open letter from an analyst that was penned later in 2013:

In his letter to Cook and Apple board chairman Art Levinson, London-based financial analyst Adnaan Ahmad, who works for German investment bank Berenberg, suggested that Apple should set its sights on the car business. “The auto industry is going through a technological discontinuity in its shift to hybrid and electric vehicles,” Ahmad wrote. “This is still in its very early innings. Apple needs know-how (technology, platform strategy and dealer network) in this space and hence I propose that you should buy Tesla.”

Apple's Top Dealmaker Met With Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Report Says | TIME.com

I think some people now mix up the two stories (the rumored earlier meeting and the unrelated letter from October 2013). Maybe the meeting was "just" about an investment in the battery factory and/or other collaboration.

Tesla always talked about multiple partners for the battery factory. I think the investments needed will be huge (larger than most people anticipate), so why not tap/talk to other possible financing partners besides Panasonic or other supplier/auto-related companies (namely GOOG or AAPL).