TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MrJones390, Feb 28, 2016.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Sure there was meat. Just not the meat you normally like. Lips and ...

2. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

There's a noticeable difference in the feel of leather to me. Plus I hate getting zapped by the static electricity discharge from fabric seats!

3. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

Nobody will hate a scaled down Model S.

A lot of people will hate something "different."

If Tesla wants to sell 300k-1M Model 3 per year best to take the Toyota approach and not offend/piss off anybody.

Average leather price is much higher than average cloth price. I don't see how it can't be seen as a luxury feature even if not every wants it.

I don't like sunroofs. Doesn't mean I don't recognize sunroofs as a luxury feature.

4. Stretch2727

Stretch2727 Engineer and Car Nut

I am hoping it looks like a scaled down model S per this report. This is the car i want.

Some of Elon's comments have concerned me....i.e "will look like nothing else on the road."

32 more days..and we shall know.

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I think the low drag (something like .2 was mentioned) might make a long tail one of the Model 3's features. I recall Mercedes demoed an extending tail on their IAA concept.
    That would be different from anything else on the road.

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Not gonna happen. Quite apart from the complexities of releasing two cars at the same time, a smaller SUV at half the price of the X would certainly cannibalise sales of the X and Tesla have got to be very protective of that at this crucial time.

7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That comment was made before later comments where Elon said he would be less adventurous with the design in order to get the initial version out on time.

8. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

I really really really want the M3 to have the X nose. I love the S looks, sans the foux grill.

9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

I'd like the option of "vegan" leather (there are some very convincing marine-grade vinyls that are very elegant and durable), with Alcantara inserts. I don't care if they're actual animal hides or not. Styling similar to the S would be fine with me.

10. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I've never understood leather seats, they're cold in the winter and hot in the summer. They are only marginally better than vinyl.

Many moons ago leather seats were more durable than cloth which did tend to look worn after a few years, but that was 40-50 years ago. Modern fabrics have superior wear to leather. I got cloth seats in my 1992 Buick and they still look almost new after 24 years. I recently saw some pictures of another of the same car for sale on Ebay that had leather seats and they looks rode hard and put away wet.

I'm going back and forth a bit on the seats when I buy. I've read the Next Gen seats are more comfortable, but I prefer cloth. If they start offering Next gen seats in cloth (which they might do according to someone at Tesla I talked to), I'd buy them without hesitation.

Personally I think the whole leather seat thing is more about fashion than anything else. People being less comfortable for the sake of looking "cool".

11. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

My oldest car right now is a 1989 VW Cabriolet, its cloth seats were worn pretty hard by the previous owners (over ~300,000 miles) but in my time as the owner (~9 years and 50,000), they don't look any different than they did to start with.

My newest car right now is a 2008 Kia Rio, its cloth seats look as good today (~155,000 miles) as they did on the day we bought the car with 25 miles on it.

I would consider paying for Leather covered seats... but I don't find them to be a necessity. Cloth holds up pretty well and doesn't have that scorching/freezing feel that Leather seats are often known for.

12. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

The cold seat problem in a Tesla is really a non-issue, as long as the Model 3 allows you to warm them via app as the S/X offer.

Now, for warmer areas, cooled seats would be great, but likely a vampire for range.....

13. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

You cannot warm the S seats via the tesla app (maybe with the 3rd party app?) but you do have the ability to precondition the cabin, which in turn makes the seats comfortable, and is vital during cold weather to warm the battery so I cannot imagine this would not be possible in the Model 3.

14. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

And the refresh of the Model S to also have the Model X front, thereby unifying the brand look.

15. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Except that Elon has stated that there will not be any "brand look" for Tesla's.... And that comment was made in connection with discussing exactly the front end and BMW's grilles.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Elon has indeed stated that and I am confident that the 3 will not look like a shrunken S, it will have its own distinctive look. Yet another way that Tesla is diverging from traditional car manufacturing practices.

17. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Entirely agree. The attraction of leather escapes me also.

18. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

It supposed to be "premium" in some way because it costs more.
    But other than costing more leather doesn't seem to offer any advantage at all.
    Give me decent cloth seats every time.

19. chance1117

chance1117 Member

I know one appeal of leather is it can be cleaned easier. From my experience it doesn't seem like leather ages well. It seems like leather tends to crack and show wear. I know you should be cleaning and conditioning leather every 90 days. At least that is what they taught me when I sold furniture. Modern cloth seats seem to wear better and don't stain easily. I had a Ford focus with 220k miles and the seats looks like they did when I bought it with 40k miles. I have a carpet cleaner with with a 3' upholstery attachment. My floors and seats get shampooed at least 1 or 2 times a year. Cars are pretty gross if you think about it they really should be cleaned pretty often. For me cloth>>>leather. I looked at a Model S with cloth seats and really likes the look. Leather does look more premium but I'm a function person.

20. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I really hope we don't get forced into a leather seat option just because of option bundling.