TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MrJones390, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Same preferences here. I do not really care much about the finish, but I do need leather for the same (health) reasons as you.

Cloth finish gives me sneeze attacks (dangerous during driving)

Polyester or similar plastics finish causes allergic reactions

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

A smaller Model S with only 3 doors is my dream car!
    May I pray for a surprise coupe variant? Pretty please with sugar on top?
    please stfu and take my money!

3. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Anything said by a Solar City rep needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you a DENC member? I wonder if there is any interest in a "Deposit Meetup."

4. Tesloid

Tesloid Member

I got my hands on the Model 3 pic that's been shown to Tesla & Solarcity employees. It looks awesome!

GM Aero.png

LOL.

5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Saturn coupe prototype?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I do not for a second believe that a SolarCity employee was given a preview of the appearance of the Model 3. That is completely implausible.

7. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

While I couldn't imagine a valid reason to show it to someone in a different company that has no influence to the car... Could it happen? Yes. Is it realistic or expected by me? No.

8. aarons23

aarons23 Member

We can take it with a grain of salt but that's just what he said.

9. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

I think he was joking guys...

10. Max*

Max* Charging

That's the part you find implausible?

11. Model ☰

Model ☰ Member

I know of DENC, but am not sure how one becomes a member.

The 31st is a work-remote day on my work calendar. I'll have my laptop with me - who knows how the day will unfold. Just like the other showrooms, Park Meadows Tesla has no idea how that day is going to work yet.

12. aarons23

aarons23 Member

I completely disagree that they wouldn't show them a preview being they're a sister company but that's just me.

13. aarons23

aarons23 Member

If you were referring to my post, I am not joking about the Solar City employee but if what he said true or not, I have no idea!

14. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

This jibes with what was said last year when someone from this forum (?) ran into a Tesla exec in some hotel lobby. Wish I could remember the exact thread though. Nevertheless, this is certainly great news since the MS is one of the best looking cars out there right now.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I find it unlikely that Solar City employees would be given a preview of the Model 3, also. No shared facilities, no design/mfg facilities next to each other - the only relationships are 1) the CEO of Tesla is also the chairman of the SCTY board, and 2) they have business contracts in place (or so I assume) between the two companies regarding batteries, superchargers, etc. But they're not 'sister companies' in the sense that there is a parent umbrella company over the two of them.

To preview the Model 3 to Solar City in advance of the general public could likely be considered an SEC violation.

16. Muaddid

Muaddid Member

The only reason I could see for two(!) Solar City employees to have seen the Model 3 is that they were part of a focus group of some sort to have an "outsiders" look on the current (visual) design. Otherwise, I totaly agree, it would make no sense for them to see it before everyone else.

Other more plausible reason : a Tesla employee is too excited with the Model 3 and can't wait to show it off and had to talk ;)

17. ecarfan

Who was joking? The TMC member who posted about it or the SolarCity employee?

18. ecarfan

They are not "sister" companies, the are completely separate entities. The only connection is through Elon being the SolarCity chairman. And if you think that Elon is going to show the Model 3 to low level SolarCity employees before his announced reveal date...that is completely unrealistic.

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

#79 MorrisonHiker, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Elon is also Lyndon Rive's cousin. Rive is co-founder and CEO of SolarCity.

20. 1208

1208 Active Member