Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get leather seats due to my polyester allergy. That may be an unusual reason, but it's very important to some of us to have the option of something we're not allergic to...

That's because they're polyester. So completely on the no-no list for me.

Polyester, which I'm allergic to, or cashmere, which I'm not allergic to? Cashmere. (Nylon is rarely used for sweaters.)
I'm just pointing out that the practicalities sometimes point in directions you might not think.

My favorite chairs at home are actually hardwood, but I don't think an unpadded hardwood seat has been offered as an option in a car since the 1920s.

Same preferences here. I do not really care much about the finish, but I do need leather for the same (health) reasons as you.

Cloth finish gives me sneeze attacks (dangerous during driving)

Polyester or similar plastics finish causes allergic reactions

Was just on the phone with Solar City and the consultant stated they received an early preview of the Model 3. I asked him if they saw pictures and he said yes, it looks like a smaller Model S. This is just another good source for the Model 3 and backs up your sources claim.
A smaller Model S with only 3 doors is my dream car!
May I pray for a surprise coupe variant? Pretty please with sugar on top?
please stfu and take my money!

I got my hands on the Model 3 pic that's been shown to Tesla & Solarcity employees. It looks awesome!

GM Aero.png

LOL.

Was just on the phone with Solar City and the consultant stated they received an early preview of the Model 3. I asked him if they saw pictures and he said yes, it looks like a smaller Model S. This is just another good source for the Model 3 and backs up your sources claim.
I do not for a second believe that a SolarCity employee was given a preview of the appearance of the Model 3. That is completely implausible.

And he said the following:

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats
-Cost saving is due to Gigafactory, smaller battery and economy features
-Possible release of smaller, stripped down Model X at same time (not sure if name is Model Y)

We'll see if this is true next month!
This jibes with what was said last year when someone from this forum (?) ran into a Tesla exec in some hotel lobby. Wish I could remember the exact thread though. Nevertheless, this is certainly great news since the MS is one of the best looking cars out there right now.

I find it unlikely that Solar City employees would be given a preview of the Model 3, also. No shared facilities, no design/mfg facilities next to each other - the only relationships are 1) the CEO of Tesla is also the chairman of the SCTY board, and 2) they have business contracts in place (or so I assume) between the two companies regarding batteries, superchargers, etc. But they're not 'sister companies' in the sense that there is a parent umbrella company over the two of them.

To preview the Model 3 to Solar City in advance of the general public could likely be considered an SEC violation.

The only reason I could see for two(!) Solar City employees to have seen the Model 3 is that they were part of a focus group of some sort to have an "outsiders" look on the current (visual) design. Otherwise, I totaly agree, it would make no sense for them to see it before everyone else.

Other more plausible reason : a Tesla employee is too excited with the Model 3 and can't wait to show it off and had to talk ;)

I find it unlikely that Solar City employees would be given a preview of the Model 3, also. No shared facilities, no design/mfg facilities next to each other - the only relationships are 1) the CEO of Tesla is also the chairman of the SCTY board, and 2) they have business contracts in place (or so I assume) between the two companies regarding batteries, superchargers, etc. But they're not 'sister companies' in the sense that there is a parent umbrella company over the two of them.

To preview the Model 3 to Solar City in advance of the general public could likely be considered an SEC violation.

I completely disagree that they wouldn't show them a preview being they're a sister company but that's just me.
They are not "sister" companies, the are completely separate entities. The only connection is through Elon being the SolarCity chairman. And if you think that Elon is going to show the Model 3 to low level SolarCity employees before his announced reveal date...that is completely unrealistic.