Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not for a second believe that a SolarCity employee was given a preview of the appearance of the Model 3. That is completely implausible.

I could see it happening unofficially. Say someone who works on the Model 3 design has a family member working for Solar City and showed the family member something they shouldn't have. The fact the receiver works for Solar City is an irrelevant detail.

Meanwhile, this thread is being cited online - Tesla Model 3 Will Look Similar To Model S, + Other Tidbits (Rumor) | CleanTechnica

And then there's this, from CTO Jay Straubel, which was said back in OCT when I would think the final design had been decided upon. So I don't believe this rumor for one minute.

Tesla CTO: Weve shifted core focus to Model 3, majority of employees now working on mass production of $35,000 vehicle | Electrek
“For better or worst, most of model 3 has to be new. [with the ] X, we were able to build with a lot of common components with S, but with the Model 3 we can’t do that. We are inventing a whole new platform […] It’s a new battery architecture. It’s a new motor technology [and] a brand new vehicle structure. It’s a lot of work. It’s a thing we started on a few years ago. As I mention, it’s kind of the core focus inside the company now looking at R&D and engineering investment.”

Meanwhile, this thread is being cited online - Tesla Model 3 Will Look Similar To Model S, + Other Tidbits (Rumor) | CleanTechnica

And then there's this, from CTO Jay Straubel, which was said back in OCT when I would think the final design had been decided upon. So I don't believe this rumor for one minute.

Tesla CTO: Weve shifted core focus to Model 3, majority of employees now working on mass production of $35,000 vehicle | Electrek
“For better or worst, most of model 3 has to be new. [with the ] X, we were able to build with a lot of common components with S, but with the Model 3 we can’t do that. We are inventing a whole new platform […] It’s a new battery architecture. It’s a new motor technology [and] a brand new vehicle structure. It’s a lot of work. It’s a thing we started on a few years ago. As I mention, it’s kind of the core focus inside the company now looking at R&D and engineering investment.”

That's just saying it's a new platform, which is pretty obvious. It says nothing about how similar or different it will look.

That's just saying it's a new platform, which is pretty obvious. It says nothing about how similar or different it will look.

He also said brand new vehicle structure. To me that implies design. In other articles over the past 6 months Elon has also said it will be a totally new design. But I guess we'll find out in a few weeks...

- - - Updated - - -

"One of the more intriguing aspects of the Model 3 will be how the car itself will look, and so far, all we know about the Model 3 is that we should expect the unexpected. During a Reddit AMA held a few months ago, Musk was asked if he could share anything about the Model 3 that the public wasn’t yet aware of.

Musk’s response was pointed and tantalizing: “It won’t look like other cars.”

http://bgr.com/2015/11/18/tesla-model-3-design/

I find it unlikely that Solar City employees would be given a preview of the Model 3, also.

So do I, however...
To preview the Model 3 to Solar City in advance of the general public could likely be considered an SEC violation.

... it would absolutely not be an SEC violation. They can show the prototype to whoever they want. They have announced the product, for years. There is no material non-public information from showing off the design.

If they gave SolarCity employees material non-public information -- "We will ship the car with a trunk full of cash" -- then that might be a problem.

There is no material non-public information from showing off the design.
Have to wonder if that is true. Companies routinely give more information to analysts and big investors. I'm sure some of that would be touching, if not crossing, the line.

To the extent the actual design is different from market expectations - anyone who knows more about the design has material information.

All Elon said was there would be a Model Y and I think he said it would be built on the Model 3 platform and that one of them would have falcon wing doors. At this point he may be rethinking that, but the Model Y was always the better target for that IMO. People have speculated the Y will be the CUV version of the Model 3, and I think they are probably right. We'll see how long it takes to get the Y to market. It looks like they are going to be faced with a major factory space issue very soon and will need to build or acquire another factory before any cars beyond the Model 3 are released.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
All Elon said was there would be a Model Y and I think he said it would be built on the Model 3 platform and that one of them would have falcon wing doors. At this point he may be rethinking that, but the Model Y was always the better target for that IMO. People have speculated the Y will be the CUV version of the Model 3, and I think they are probably right. We'll see how long it takes to get the Y to market. It looks like they are going to be faced with a major factory space issue very soon and will need to build or acquire another factory before any cars beyond the Model 3 are released.

Yeah, your summary is my understanding of it all. The actual tweets on the matter have been deleted, so they don't show as tweets here, but the text still shows:

Tesla Model Xs Recognize Each Other, Model 3 Or Model Y Will Have Falcon-Wing Doors, & Other Elon Tweets

... and I think he said it would be built on the Model 3 platform ...

Actually I do not think this is right. Yes, it is confirmed from Elon that there will be a Model Y and it will have FW doors (Yes, they may rethink this). And it is confirmed that there will be a CUV based on the Gen-III platform that Model 3 is build on. I do actively spreed the rumor that this is/will be the one and same car, but that is not (as far as I know) been officially confirmed.

But I do agree with the rest of your post :)