TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MrJones390, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Tesloid

Tesloid Member

Nah! It's the GM Aero concept from the 80s.

2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

That front end though....definitely became the Saturn SC1

3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I could see it happening unofficially. Say someone who works on the Model 3 design has a family member working for Solar City and showed the family member something they shouldn't have. The fact the receiver works for Solar City is an irrelevant detail.

4. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Meanwhile, this thread is being cited online - Tesla Model 3 Will Look Similar To Model S, + Other Tidbits (Rumor) | CleanTechnica

And then there's this, from CTO Jay Straubel, which was said back in OCT when I would think the final design had been decided upon. So I don't believe this rumor for one minute.

Tesla CTO: Weve shifted core focus to Model 3, majority of employees now working on mass production of $35,000 vehicle | Electrek
    “For better or worst, most of model 3 has to be new. [with the ] X, we were able to build with a lot of common components with S, but with the Model 3 we can’t do that. We are inventing a whole new platform […] It’s a new battery architecture. It’s a new motor technology [and] a brand new vehicle structure. It’s a lot of work. It’s a thing we started on a few years ago. As I mention, it’s kind of the core focus inside the company now looking at R&D and engineering investment.”

5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

That's just saying it's a new platform, which is pretty obvious. It says nothing about how similar or different it will look.

6. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

He also said brand new vehicle structure. To me that implies design. In other articles over the past 6 months Elon has also said it will be a totally new design. But I guess we'll find out in a few weeks...

- - - Updated - - -

"One of the more intriguing aspects of the Model 3 will be how the car itself will look, and so far, all we know about the Model 3 is that we should expect the unexpected. During a Reddit AMA held a few months ago, Musk was asked if he could share anything about the Model 3 that the public wasn’t yet aware of.

Musk’s response was pointed and tantalizing: “It won’t look like other cars.”

http://bgr.com/2015/11/18/tesla-model-3-design/

7. tga

tga Supporting Member

SC2 actually - the SC2 had the pop-up lights. The SC1 didn't (same headlights as the SL1/2).

I had 3 of them back in the 90's.

8. ModelNforNerd

Those were my Neon and Cavalier days.

We've come a long way since then.........

9. raysspl

raysspl Member

Synthetic leather & textile combo will probably be the base. In any case, can't wait to see the reveal

10. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

My initial thought about this car was how clean and futuristic the inside looks. My next thought was that it reminds me a lot of a Tesla Model S. :rolleyes:

11. markrogo

markrogo Member

So do I, however...
    ... it would absolutely not be an SEC violation. They can show the prototype to whoever they want. They have announced the product, for years. There is no material non-public information from showing off the design.

If they gave SolarCity employees material non-public information -- "We will ship the car with a trunk full of cash" -- then that might be a problem.

12. ModelNforNerd

It would...? I'm not seeing a problem with that strategy at all? :wink:

13. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Tesla is shipping the Model 3 with a trunk full of cash? Sweet!!

That right there needs to be the next SA article title.

14. ModelNforNerd

The investor in TSLA stock part of me screams "bad idea".

The Model 3 owner part of me hopes it's true......

15. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if that is true. Companies routinely give more information to analysts and big investors. I'm sure some of that would be touching, if not crossing, the line.

To the extent the actual design is different from market expectations - anyone who knows more about the design has material information.

16. Vujo91

Vujo91 New Member

Y is rumor or not?

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It's not a rumor. Elon, himself, has said there would be a future model Y... just not going to be available for a long while. Think 2020, maybe...

• Disagree x 1
  18. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

All Elon said was there would be a Model Y and I think he said it would be built on the Model 3 platform and that one of them would have falcon wing doors. At this point he may be rethinking that, but the Model Y was always the better target for that IMO. People have speculated the Y will be the CUV version of the Model 3, and I think they are probably right. We'll see how long it takes to get the Y to market. It looks like they are going to be faced with a major factory space issue very soon and will need to build or acquire another factory before any cars beyond the Model 3 are released.

• Informative x 1
  19. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Active Member

Yeah, your summary is my understanding of it all. The actual tweets on the matter have been deleted, so they don't show as tweets here, but the text still shows:

Tesla Model Xs Recognize Each Other, Model 3 Or Model Y Will Have Falcon-Wing Doors, & Other Elon Tweets

20. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Actually I do not think this is right. Yes, it is confirmed from Elon that there will be a Model Y and it will have FW doors (Yes, they may rethink this). And it is confirmed that there will be a CUV based on the Gen-III platform that Model 3 is build on. I do actively spreed the rumor that this is/will be the one and same car, but that is not (as far as I know) been officially confirmed.

But I do agree with the rest of your post :)