Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want the power lift gate or performance you have no choice - leather only.
That is not correct. The leather seats are an option that is independent of other options. You can easily verify that yourself by going to Order your Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors
Note that by default, the textile seats are selected. Now select the Premium package (which includes the power lift gate). The total price increases by $3K, the price of that option. The textile seats are still selected. Leather seats are not selected unless you add them.

I think folks may be talking different timeframes here. Back when it was a kerfuffle at the annual shareholder's meeting, I believe the configurations blocked you out of certain features if you attempted to configure a non-leather interior.

I believe with various reshufflings before and after the Next Gen Seats were introduced the story might have changed -- for Model S. I haven't been following the Model X on this front to know how it's progressed.

Leaving cost and conscious-based objections (e.g., vegan) aside, just like anything else, leather seats are preferred by more people because it is a natural, premium product that looks and feels better than textiles. If they cost the exact same, would you prefer

- formica countertops or marble? Formica performs better, doesn't stain, less maintenance.
- vinyl floors or hardwood/stone? Vinyl would age better and require less maintenance
- plastic kitchen cabinets or wood? I bet plastic would last longer, not fade and warp, etc.
- synthetic sweater or cashmere? Synthetic is a lot easier to maintain
- dress shoes with rubber soles or leather soles? Rubber performs far better in adverse conditions and wears longer

And so on. The most durable or longest-lasting product is most often not the one demanding a premium price. Rather than all these arguments about durability and so forth, I think many here truly feel that the upcharge for leather seats is not worth it and that's a perfectly valid viewpoint. If leather-wrapped everything (seats, dash, door inserts, armrest, etc.) was standard and cloth/synthetic seats/dash/doors was a no-cost option I guarantee the take rate would not approach 5%.

I think the low drag (something like .2 was mentioned) might make a long tail one of the Model 3's features. I recall Mercedes demoed an extending tail on their IAA concept.
That would be different from anything else on the road.
I thought that IAA concept car was sweet. The extending tail looked cool and was functional by reducing drag. But the added cost and complexity won't make it into the M3. At least not the first gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that IAA concept car was sweet. The extending tail looked cool and was functional by reducing drag. But the added cost and complexity won't make it into the M3. At least not the first gen.

That thing is actually pretty bad-ass. However, Mercedes was caught fudging Cd on a car a couple years ago, so must be taken with a dose of salt. But the wheels and tail extender are cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't care, but I think not even having it as an option would kill a lot of sales in the US.

I get leather seats due to my polyester allergy. That may be an unusual reason, but it's very important to some of us to have the option of something we're not allergic to...

- - - Updated - - -

Modern cloth seats seem to wear better and don't stain easily.
That's because they're polyester. So completely on the no-no list for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Leaving cost and conscious-based objections (e.g., vegan) aside, just like anything else, leather seats are preferred by more people because it is a natural, premium product that looks and feels better than textiles. If they cost the exact same, would you prefer

- formica countertops or marble? Formica performs better, doesn't stain, less maintenance.
Ceramic tile.
- vinyl floors or hardwood/stone? Vinyl would age better and require less maintenance
Ceramic tile. The ones from ancient Roman villas are still intact with no maintenance.
- plastic kitchen cabinets or wood? I bet plastic would last longer, not fade and warp, etc.
Metal. Actually, plastic warps and breaks if you move it too often.
- synthetic sweater or cashmere? Synthetic is a lot easier to maintain
Polyester, which I'm allergic to, or cashmere, which I'm not allergic to? Cashmere. (Nylon is rarely used for sweaters.)
- dress shoes with rubber soles or leather soles? Rubber performs far better in adverse conditions and wears longer
Yes, rubber soles.

I'm just pointing out that the practicalities sometimes point in directions you might not think.

The most durable or longest-lasting product is most often not the one demanding a premium price.
The most durable product is often obscure enough that people don't even consider it -- notice that your either-ors were missing the best option in several cases -- but it typically does command a premium price.

My favorite chairs at home are actually hardwood, but I don't think an unpadded hardwood seat has been offered as an option in a car since the 1920s.

And he said the following:

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats
-Cost saving is due to Gigafactory, smaller battery and economy features
-Possible release of smaller, stripped down Model X at same time (not sure if name is Model Y)

We'll see if this is true next month!

Was just on the phone with Solar City and the consultant stated they received an early preview of the Model 3. I asked him if they saw pictures and he said yes, it looks like a smaller Model S. This is just another good source for the Model 3 and backs up your sources claim.

Reactions: MrJones390
Was just on the phone with Solar City and the consultant stated they received an early preview of the Model 3. I asked him if they saw pictures and he said yes, it looks like a smaller Model S. This is just another good source for the Model 3 and backs up your sources claim.

I'd be extremely happy with this. While I trust Tesla to design an amazing looking car no matter what, I love the way the S looks, so a smaller version is fine with me!

Great first post! Jumping right into the fray. :tongue: Welcome to the club. :smile:

Thanks. Not sure if I would get flamed for saying that. The force is strong on both sides of this matter.

I have a special needs son so being practical means stain / spill resistant. Vinyl would work. But given the reasonable options, practical means pleather/leatherette (like the cheaper Audi's & VWs) or leather for me. And the luxury style perforated leather is not ideal either. Case in point: we have some 5 year old Ethan Allen dining room chairs with fabric seats that are ready to be re-upholstered and some 8 year old HW Home leather stools at the island which can be wiped down and look as good as new.

When I bought my first hybrid 9 years ago I evaluated the Civic including cost of doing aftermarket leather against the Prius Touring. I ended up with the Prius, even though it had perforated leather. Fortunately no major accidents in the Prius before another kid got it as hand-me-down.

i almost leased an i3 last December, and would only consider the i3 Tera model for the same reason but am now holding out now for a Model 3. Planning on driving to the closest Tesla store on the 31st to put down a deposit. I will be surprised if they don't have the option for fabric or leather. As a shareholder, there is no reason for Tesla not to monetize this option. I do hope that those that want an higher optioned model 3 and do not want leather have the option to order one that way. Tesla will most likely not have information on any optioning come the 31st.