Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Connected services for things YOU connect. Premium comes connected with the car.
06E46714-BC6A-4DA9-8E05-279F2D429AD9.jpeg

This is very clear cut on who is responsible for paying it! Hint: it’s you

Reactions: NewbieT
Good luck with that. Terms that are unfair for a consumer aren’t necessarily unfair for a business.

Zen’s contract is pretty clear and you’d struggle to argue it’s unfair. We’ve just had it good until now.

Unless, if you have a written representation made as part of taking out the lease saying online connectivity is included for the term of the lease. I bet not many people have one of those.

Reactions: Durzel and MrMoonUK
There will also be a group of people who ordered their S, X, MLR3, P3 before about Dec 2019 when Tesla first introduced the trial period who shouldn’t have to pay. Big hoo hah when the trial got turned on originally so I’m sure these people won’t have a problem.

You can't just write unfair terms into contracts. Those who are leasing on a salary sacrifice scheme should get their employer involved. It's not you that's being ripped off, it's them - and they might be inclined to challenge on your behalf.
How is it an unfair contract term that the person leasing is responsible for connected services charges? It was never said anywhere that connectivity is included in lease payments. It was a perk cos Tesla couldn’t charge the leasee

It’s delivered to everyone with services already connected but it’s clear on the spec on the website that this is temporary.

Lease customers have got lucky up to now that by some quirk it’s been free for them but now it’s changed, typically just 6 weeks after my Car comes.

It’s annoying but contractually it’s clear you have to pay if you want to keep it.

Reactions: Durzel and MrMoonUK
Except for early Model S, X and 3 (LR & Performance) orders when it was free for lifetime, Premium Connectivity has always been a limited time feature. There was some transition time around the time of early Model 3 orders (up to around Jul/Aug 2019) when the Tesla Order Configurator did not reflect Tesla's intentions of a paid service, but (after a bit of a 'discussion') Tesla made good Premium Connectivity for those orders placed prior to the website being amended. It always was a limited (initially 1 year) time complementary option for Model 3 SR (aka Mode 3 base) which orders post ~Jul/Aug 2019, also became the case with Model S, X and all Model 3's.

I note that at some point, that 1 year became 30 days, but I suspect few, if any current orders will have been placed when it was 1 year, but if they were, and for those that have their cars and are still within the 1 year period, I would expect Tesla (based on history and UK law) to honour the one year (from delivery) Premium Connectivity for the initial owner. What might be more tricky to prove is what was the duration at the point of order? Going back to the Jul/Aug 2019 cutoff, Tesla actually played safe on their part and actually ended up honouring lifetime Premium Connectivity to some orders that were placed after Tesla revised their website to mention 1 year subscription.

I just checked both the Model 3 and Model Y configurator, and whilst not immediately at hand, the 30 day complementary offering is clearly marked when you find the relevant section of the configurator. Whilst not a 'front page' headline, its certainly clear in a section where you would reasonably be expected to see if purchasing a car, especially one as potentially 'different' as a Tesla. Its certainly not hidden in any small print, as can be seen below.

1651128194472.png
1651128219345.png

So as far as Tesla themselves are concerned, at the point of configuration and order, if you are expecting an optional feature such as Premium Connectivity then it will be complementary for 30 days.

Which then comes down to the arrangement with the finance company.

My read of this below from one finance company is less about money, more about having the comply with the terms and conditions of the connected service (which is applicable to any Tesla irrespective of whether it has Premium Connectivity) which you accept/decline/select options when setting up the car in general. If you do pay for any connected services, make sure you abide by its conditions and when you return the car, ensure that the car is set back to default settings and option is removed. I personally do not see anything unfair in that. Otherwise it is clearly your responsibility for any fees and charges for the connected services which will be the case with Tesla Premium Connectivity as it is only included with the car for a 30 day period.

Contract terms withstanding I think it's more that (as seems to be the 'Tesla way') there was confusion and a complete lack of clarity or discernible plan between Tesla and Lease companies to clearly communicate what would and wouldn't happen with premium connectivity at the point where lots of people were committing or having their vehicle delivered.

I wouldn't mind betting that prior to Tesla changing their stance on free premium for lease cars, a lot if not all of the lease companies had a standard clause about connected services in their contracts to the same effect. As pointed out above, it's a pretty standard clause and is about GDPR as much as it is paid services. (The point being that these clauses were just overruled in favour of the customer because Tesla didn't have the means to charge customers individually or give them the choice, meaning there is a precedent for some people to think this would continue).

I never took it as an absolute given, because it wasn't in writing, but I think a fair few commenting on here ordered their leases thinking that for leases, the premium connectivity was either going to continue or in some cases was being paid for by lease companies already (so was never actually 'free'). I fell into that second camp because when I quizzed Zen initially, I got a different answer every time I spoke to someone, and the only consistent response was 'Tesla don't tell us anything until it's too late to clearly communicate this to customers, or we find out after the customer does'. So my assumption was that it was covered, and I believed that to be the case based on a discussion with someone at Zen before I ordered.

Basically I'm not overly disappointed, but I'm not exactly chuffed either. It's one of those. It's somewhat tempered by the fact that I'm glad I ordered when I did because lease prices have gone up since, and so have delivery times. Swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Contract terms withstanding I think it's more that (as seems to be the 'Tesla way') there was confusion and a complete lack of clarity or discernible plan between Tesla and Lease companies to clearly communicate what would and wouldn't happen with premium connectivity at the point where lots of people were committing or having their vehicle delivered.

I wouldn't mind betting that prior to Tesla changing their stance on free premium for lease cars, a lot if not all of the lease companies had a standard clause about connected services in their contracts to the same effect. As pointed out above, it's a pretty standard clause and is about GDPR as much as it is paid services. (The point being that these clauses were just overruled in favour of the customer because Tesla didn't have the means to charge customers individually or give them the choice, meaning there is a precedent for some people to think this would continue).

I never took it as an absolute given, because it wasn't in writing, but I think a fair few commenting on here ordered their leases thinking that for leases, the premium connectivity was either going to continue or in some cases was being paid for by lease companies already (so was never actually 'free'). I fell into that second camp because when I quizzed Zen initially, I got a different answer every time I spoke to someone, and the only consistent response was 'Tesla don't tell us anything until it's too late to clearly communicate this to customers, or we find out after the customer does'. So my assumption was that it was covered, and I believed that to be the case based on a discussion with someone at Zen before I ordered.

Basically I'm not overly disappointed, but I'm not exactly chuffed either. It's one of those. It's somewhat tempered by the fact that I'm glad I ordered when I did because lease prices have gone up since, and so have delivery times. Swings and roundabouts.
I fall in the second camp but knowing Tesla and lease companies, I clarified before taking the lease (not in writing as no one wanted to give that) and the lease companies response was it is part of the package - there was no mention of ‘ifs and buts’. Tesla does what any major companies do - not applying this retrospectively but the lease companies are the worse. Even before Tesla withdrew their free offer lease companies had everyone sign a contract saying connected services are not part of the deal but in fact when they were given it was part of the deal. The fine print was not highlighted to lease customers by lease companies - ie., when Tesla stops the free service for lease customers we have to pay for the connectivity. That is a slightly different proposition if I was informed I would have negotiated a 200 discount or something with the lease companies or requested them to write off the admin fee or whatever.

The contract was with lease companies and they hidden the fact from us that Tesla is giving this free for lease customers but this MAY BE stopped at any point and the lease companies will not pick up the tab for continued premium connectivity.

Anyhow there is always a next time, I’ll make them deduct £360 on the total if premium connectivity is not included. The worst thing is lease companies charge the £1100 from the customer for MSM, blue, black and £2000-2200 for the red from the customers irrespective of the fact that the colour is lifetime one but wiggled out of spending some £300 quid towards connectivity. Greedy ones!

As Michael Corleone says in The Godfather, Friendship (lease companies) and money. Oil and water. Don’t expect lease companies to behave rationally when money is at stake!. How did I miss The Godfather’s life lessons?

After chasing Tusker for a few weeks, with their “working on it” response, I thought I’d give Tesla a call (01628 450660) this morning. Little bit of a wait in the queue, but without issue they enabled the Update/Subscription for me in the App. (I didn’t have to logout nor restart, although I updated the App to 4.8 last night).

Attachments

• F94BC395-05C2-4556-83FC-E0C9BBD71104.png
    F94BC395-05C2-4556-83FC-E0C9BBD71104.png
    408.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 5BD07A7F-CC5D-497C-A10B-BB3AF9887BD3.png
    5BD07A7F-CC5D-497C-A10B-BB3AF9887BD3.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 48
After chasing Tusker for a few weeks, with their “working on it” response, I thought I’d give Tesla a call (01628 450660) this morning. Little bit of a wait in the queue, but without issue they enabled the Update/Subscription for me in the App. (I didn’t have to logout nor restart, although I updated the App to 4.8 last night).
Which option did you choose on the phone?

I also got fed up waiting for the lease co and called Tesla today. All sorted within 10mins. The helpful chap said both Tesla and the lease Co use the same system to activate it.

I’ve also asked him to make AB available through the app (which hasn’t yet appeared)