Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just noticed mine says expires 1st May in the car menu, I’ve also received an email from Tesla today saying the same thing. Also in the app now there is a “Software Upgrades” section that only lists “Premium Connectivity” as an option to subscribe for £9.99 a month.

I guess it’s happening then, I’m torn whether to pay for it or not.

If you're torn, don't pay it. See how you find it without. And if you miss it, subscribe in the future?

They haven't "opened up superchargers" and it's not clear when or in what form that will occur in the UK. They aren't charging to use the sat nav, either. They're charging for the use of data and services which rely on heavy use of said data. They have a growing fleet and they've been allowing people to stream as much video content or music as they like. Video streaming is particularly data-intensive, so it's no surprise they are deciding to charge for it. I've used EVs from other manufacturers that charge for services which use data or have some sort of premium data package. And you couldn't do anywhere near as much as on a Tesla with that data.
If you gift something then everyone expects to get the same lol. Difference is other’s haven’t given it for free from the off, they’ve charged for it or made it clear it’s free for X amount of time. Leased Teslas have always been “free” or assumed to be included in the lease cost. Everyone has a different viewpoint though.

Reactions: EVMeister
Does Taycan / i4 M50 provide satellite images and current traffic data for lifetime of the car as standard? (I dunno the answer)
I don’t know but the traffic routing still works in the Tesla without Premium, you just don’t have a visual indication.

You can’t get satellite images at all on the BMW as far as I am aware, certainly not any BMW I have had before.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Porsche Taycan - I understand and that car will make you look special. i4 hmmm if you want to look like a real a*******
Each to their own lol. Porsche to me are just expensive VW at least BMW are their own brand not an offshoot of something else. Better range in the i4 too, I’ll be seeing my lease out so 3yrs left then see what’s happening in the market. There’ll be a lot more choice on EV by then with better range and better nderstanding of customer wants / desires. My M3 is to me a bit of a Marmite car sometimes I like it (Twiglet time) other times I hate it (out of the jar). It’s ok and fulfills it’s purpose in getting me A to B, that’s all. Last BMW was the same though so it may be just me getting older and less impressed with gadgetry. I just want to drive myself not be driven🤣

I don’t know but the traffic routing still works in the Tesla without Premium, you just don’t have a visual indication.

You can’t get satellite images at all on the BMW as far as I am aware, certainly not any BMW I have had before.
As long as traffic routing still works, I'll not mind going back to radio. To me, games and video are pointless - it's a car! But then again, I'm old school and thought mobile phones were for calling and speaking to someone.......

Reactions: Xdama
The technical reason would be that it requires live data is streamed, whereas the basic sat nav functionality doesn't and can use cached/loaded data.
That is no technical reason, the data can be streamed via a phone hotspot without any issue.

The only functionality that is justifiably not available without a subscription is sentry mode live streaming.

That is no technical reason, the data can be streamed via a phone hotspot without any issue.

The only functionality that is justifiably not available without a subscription is sentry mode live streaming.

I see, you're saying they should let you access the features and use your own data from your phone. I thought you meant there was no technical reason they weren't letting people use those features without tethering or paying for the premium data. As if they're entitled to free data from Tesla (which they aren't).

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3
I see, you're saying they should let you access the features and use your own data from your phone. I thought you meant there was no technical reason they weren't letting people use those features without tethering or paying for the premium data. As if they're entitled to free data from Tesla (which they aren't).
Yes correct, my post was in reply to someone asking why they cannot use their phone for data connectivity.

Reactions: EVMeister
It wasn’t so long ago that you couldn’t even tether off a phone while in drive, but Tesla have allowed that.

People who leased two years ago have basically saved £240 vs someone who bought the car outright. I don’t think you can complain too much that given it’s taken Tesla that long to sort out a payment system for lease customers.