Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine also just appeared- along with another set of carpets numberplates and emergency set
Any leaseplan company car customers had any updates/luck with subscriptions?
i had an email from Tusker about four days ago saying it would appear in the app- which it did. So I set up the subscription. Just under a tenner a month seems good to me - I’ve had my M3 since the end of March so got a month free as stated on all my paperwork.

People who leased two years ago have basically saved £240 vs someone who bought the car outright. I don’t think you can complain too much that given it’s taken Tesla that long to sort out a payment system for lease customers.

Those that ordered 2 years ago (up to mid/late last year) would have got a years worth of data as part of the car, so in reality lease holders would only have saved since their first years anniversary.

Tbh as an early order I was one that got free lifetime premium connectivity and come the 1 year anniversary I actually lost it for a short period of time. That was in the days when phone tethering was not an option. The only think I vaguely missed was on screen live traffic visualisations if I got rerouted/stuck due to bad traffic - satnav traffic routing is still available without Premium Connectivity, you just don’t see the jams on the map.

Nothing that passenger didn’t have access to on phone just not as convenient and certainly for us not worth taking a subscription out for. I’ve done a bit of audio streaming but you can now do that via hotspot off of a phone although Tesla mobile coverage is better than 3’s. And you now have the ability to download Tidal tracks on Wi-Fi ahead of time. So had we still not got it for free, the functionality used by us is the whole of Tidal music library for same price as Tesla live traffic and satellite visualisations.

if I got rerouted/stuck due to bad traffic

I've found Waze traffic-data to be better (I have both running, but sound on SatNav muted so basically I have verbals from Waze and Map from SatNav).

I also like that Waze tells me "Roadworks ahead" ... which might be around a blind bend on a rural road with traffic backed up :) or "Police reported", and the ability when stuck in stationary traffic to check user reports - e.g. to see that at the front of the queue there is a report of Accident - probably going to be a while (unless the traffic speed close to the incident is showing > 0 MPH :) )

I also get Red / Green messages from Waze that the route has improved / deteriorated by X minutes.

If I want to "freelance" and ignore both then seeing SatNav map with Orange / Red traffic overlays gives me better overview than the titchy display on my phone.

If I want to "freelance" and ignore both then seeing SatNav map with Orange / Red traffic overlays gives me better overview than the titchy display on my phone.
Have you seen those Orange/Red traffic overlays at night time? It is mostly based on predictive algorithms where there are traffic lights or had delays earlier (even though it is live). Check those for the next few days and let us know. I can’t now as I am not renewing my subscription.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've found Waze traffic-data to be better (I have both running, but sound on SatNav muted so basically I have verbals from Waze and Map from SatNav).

Presumably that requires getting the phone out of your pocket? Oddly enough, I like to just sit in the drivers seat and get on with it leaving my phone in my pocket.

I do use sat nav but that’s normally only for an ETA and as long as that’s within expectations I’m not bothered. It’s only when I get rerouted off the expected route or hit a traffic jam that ‘live’ traffic visualisations are of vague interest. If rerouted then it gives an idea whether sticking with original route will still work. Much as there is a setting not to bother with rerouting if it’s less than 5/10 minutes etc difference that doesn’t work if it’s already rerouted you away from normal route at start of drive. So it can route you down some *sugar* roads just to save a minute so knowing normal route is still relatively clear is useful. Without that, and is often still the case with available visualisations is to simply ignore the *sugar* route and just check how much the ETA changes and off still good then carry on.

Presumably that requires getting the phone out of your pocket

Well ... that's one way of looking at it :) My way is that I am putting it on charge whilst I'm in the car :cool:

I do use sat nav but that’s normally only for an ETA and as long as that’s within expectations I’m not bothered.

I use some means of traffic-check every trip. 15 minutes to local town, but I've sat in traffic (that I could have avoided) when nearly home, waited 10 minutes, given up, turned round, gone home the long way ... for all I know the traffic might have cleared just after I did that. I'd prefer not to have that delay ... bound to happen when I actually need to be somewhere!

so knowing normal route is still relatively clear is useful

Agreed. I check "overview" to see if the route is as expected, and if not I zoom in to see what's changed ...

Waze will route me via "rat-run" at 08:30 to avoid (usually a) long queue at roundabout. If its half term I may ignore it (and the week after I'll make a note to take it if Waze has figured "Whatever THAT problem was has been solved" from a week's improved data!)

check how much the ETA changes and off still good then carry on.

That's a good tip. I've made a poor lane choice (in heavy traffic - that was 4-lanes-down-to-one) and ETA just kept climbing. Only realised when I got to Supercharger, text'd the other car (who started behind me) and they said "We've already done that Supercharger and are on our way" ... :(

Might sound daft but it is 1st May today isn’t it. I’ve not subscribed to this yet (although I imagine I might or increase data on my phone so it’s tethered) but found Spotify etc. to work as usual today. Anyone else not subscribed yet and still having things work as usual?

Last edited:
Reactions: shuhockey
Well it’s the 2nd May and I still seem to have Premium Connectivity (Spotify is working, satellite view on maps is still there, and I can still view the sentry cams remotely) even though the “Expires May 1st” message appeared in the menu and the option to subscribe is in the app.

I feel like I’m on a countdown to it disappearing tho :/

Well it’s the 2nd May and I still seem to have Premium Connectivity (Spotify is working, satellite view on maps is still there, and I can still view the sentry cams remotely) even though the “Expires May 1st” message appeared in the menu and the option to subscribe is in the app.

I feel like I’m on a countdown to it disappearing tho :/
Yes Yes Yes - we are all on a countdown - it will just disappear tonight.

Oh well my Premiums gone so better get Android Auto up and running again (TeslAA) - it sort of works but it can be a real faf.

I have obviously stopped sending any stats and user data back to Tesla! In case it uses any of my phone Data!!